Facilitator initiated conversation via discussion guide
Have you ever been taught to read a nutrition label?
“ I’ve never been exactly [taught] what all these words you don’t know mean, ya know? Not taught like that. I look at the big things like calories and stuff but not really in a way that affects what I’m going to eat.”
Where do you get information regarding nutrition and diet?
“ I’ve heard a lot [nutritional information] in Health classes, like in college and high school; my mom, and just listening to anything that a doctor has said or reading articles in magazines.
What diseases are contributed to poor dietary patterns?
“ I don’t consider [anorexia or bulimia] a disease. I think it’s like a mental health issue. I don’t find that like, a nutrition problem. That’s your problem. Like a mental thing.”
Displayed beliefs and feelings toward diet and nutrition
Insightful in terms of how target audience obtains information & how its processed.
Several outlets utilized to obtain dietary information (etc: peers, family, internet, magazines.)
1) The primary source of my dietary information comes from:
e) Other _________
2) Which of the following descriptions are direct consequences of anorexia and bulimia? Circle all that apply. Blood shot eyes Dry skin Ear aches Hair loss Reproductive problems Vision loss Short-term memory loss Throat and dental damage Negative emotions Numbness in hands and feet
3) Which form of diabetes can be prevented by maintaining a well-balanced diet?
a) Type I Diabetes
b) Type II Diabetes
4) Match the provided serving requirements with the correct food categories listed in the USDA Food Guide Pyramid below.
a) 6 oz.
b) 2.0 cups
c) 5.5 oz.
d) 3.0 cups
e) 2.5 cups
f) 0 oz
* Image provided by the USDA’s mypyramid.gov
5) Using the Baked Lays nutrition label below please select the amount of sugar consumed if a person ate the entire bag of Baked Lays chips in one sitting.
a) 2 grams
b) 4 grams
c) 16 grams
d) 20 grams
6) The above percent daily values are based on a _______ calorie diet. a) 1,500 calorie diet b) 2,000 calorie diet c) 2,500 calorie diet d) 3,000 calorie diet