Michelle’s Cisco Professional Timeline
at Cisco- 2005
from Cisco Global
Selected to be on the
Executive Council of AWIT
2011/Vice Chair 2014
WW Excellence Winner in
Innovation & Growth
Experience Manager for
Classic and CBN 2013/14
work in AWIT
HAPPY 9TH CiscoAnniversary!
What does that mean?
• Attrition rate of women is TWICE that of men
in high tech sector.
• 56% of women in technology companies leave
midway through their career
• Represents a significant and costly loss of
• 25% is approximately 200,000 women in IT
Nearly 50 years after the modern women's
movement began, the omission of women is
fairly common, yet many people assume the
battle for equality is largely over.
" Perfectly nice guys
will say to me, 'You
must be so happy
you've won!' andsheretorts ….
" ‘But are you
working for a
woman?' And they
Gloria Marie Steinem is an American feminist,
journalist, and social and political activist who
became nationally recognized as a leader of, and
media spokeswoman for, the women's liberation
movement in the late 1960s and 1970s.
Did you know On average
women make $.77 cents
for every $1.00 a man
• In management women account
1/3 M.B.A. classes, but…
• Only 2% of Fortune 500 CEOs
• 6 % of top earners
• 8 % of top leadership positions
• 16 % of board directors and
Recognition for Women in IT?
CDN Top Newsmakers- 2011
What is CompTIA?
• CompTIA is the voice of the world's
information technology (IT) industry. As a nonprofit trade association advancing the global
interests of IT professionals and companies,
we focus our programs on four main areas:
education, certification, advocacy &
The Advancing Women in IT Community
The CompTIA Advancing Women in IT (AWIT)
Community is dedicated to empowering women with the
knowledge and skills necessary to help their pursuit of
successful IT careers, as well as to inspire women to
enter the IT field as a career choice.
• The community is a vital information resource
• provides mentorship and networking opportunities
• develops member-driven initiatives and programs
• Is active in legislation involving women and careers
• Is actively involved in pursing the overall objectives of
the CompTIA – ECAP (education, certification,
advocacy and philanthropy).
Members of this group are women who are currently
in or aspire to be in IT careers and men who support
You Tube Outreach Video:
You Tube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPAySAJP4M8
Insights from IT Leaders & Their Paths to Success
Moderator: Doriana Allyn, Brother International
Mary Ellen Grom, VP, SYNNEX Corporation
John Mehrmann, CEO Zylog Systems Limited
Nellie Scott, Mg, Lenovo
Stephanie Young, VP, Xerox
Marci Meaux, VP
CA Portfolio Management at Cisco
Michelle Chiantera, Director
US Channel Marketing at Cisco
Webinars and Seminars
Quarterly Webinars (I moderated our last two: Social Media for Business and Personal)
Open to everyone
Informative and variety of topics and panelists
Free to attend
• Targeting and promoting females in JHS, HS, and College to consider a career in STEM/IT
• Working in impoverished communities and Non Profits
• Tech Schools (Ex Chicago Tech School below who came to our CompTIA AMM)
• Target women retiring from the military to
pursue career opportunities in IT
• Career Training/Mentoring
Volunteer and Give Back
Charitable donation of $10,000 this year--funding is
provided through CompTIA's charitable arm Creating IT
Futures--to groups that promote women in IT.
Donations to Non Profits: Local Reach
Tech Girlz is a non-profit
organization dedicated to helping
adolescent girls understand that a
future in technology does not
necessarily equate to ‘a boring
computer job,’ but instead
transcends the cubicle into nearly
every field imaginable.
Here are some of the things we
• Technology events
• Classes, programs, &projects
• Peers, mentors, & role models
• Online and offline resources
Goal: Make sure Legislation in Washington/Congress
are advocates for women in tech and education.
Led by Nancy Hammervik – SVP and AWIT advocate of CompTIA
Cisco: A great place for working
women and mothers
Read more:Advocatesset goalto educate10,000 abouttech opportunitiesfor women FierceCIOhttp://www.fiercecio.com/story/advocates-set-goal-educate-10000-about-tech-opportunities-women/2014-0211#ixzz2toUjXxjn
Subscribe at FierceCIO
Do YOUR part!
• 77% of young women say they don’t even
know someone who works in IT.
• Take the time to share what you do with the
young girls in your life- inspire them!
• Encourage more mentorship and “women in
IT days” at work and the community.