Introduction to Social Media
For Centers for Independent Living
Presented by Michele Martin
• Deﬁne social media
• Look at how organizations use it
• Deﬁne some key principles for using
• Discuss how these principles apply to
50% of adults online have a MySpace proﬁle
22% of adults online have a Facebook proﬁle
In August 08, 23.7 million people visited
64.7 million upload photos to Flickr
Twitter grew 753% in 2008 to 4.5 million users
Individuals with disabilties. . .
• Spend twice as much • More likely to report
time online (20 hrs. they are more
vs. 10 hrs) connected (44% vs.
• More likely to report
Internet has • More likely to report
improved quality of they are able to reach
life (48% vs. 27%) out to people with
similar interests (42%
• More likely to report vs. 30%)
that they are better
informed (52% vs. Source: Harris Interactive, 2000
Social media helps people. . .
• Find and share
• Connect to others
who share their
• Have conversations
Social media helps organizations. . .
• Listen • Build community
• Participate in online • Raise money
• Provide inexpensive
• Tell their stories professional
• Create awareness
• WeAreMedia.org: The Social Media Starter Kit for
• Social Media for Nonproﬁts by Primal Media
Gostou de algum slide específico?
Recortar slides é uma maneira fácil de colecionar informações para acessar mais tarde.