Concussions in Sports
• Concussion is a common athletic injury experienced by
approximately 300,000 youths each year
• More common is postconcussive syndrome (PCS), which
consists of such cognitive and physical symptoms as
headache, anxiety, vertigo, nausea, and hallucinations. An
estimated 30 percent of professional football players
suffer from PCS
• Long term Symptoms: Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s
disease and dementia
Concussions in Football
• 3.8 million concussions occur in the USA per year during
• however, as many as 50% of the concussions may go
• During the first 16 weeks of the 2012 and 2013 NFL
regular seasons, 300 concussions, involving 284 players,
• 64.3 primary cases per 10,000 game exposures
Real Life Concussions
• Kevin Clifton
• Nick Tomessetti
• Natasha Richardson (Liam Neeson’s Wife)
People are staring to apply some new technology that will
revolutionize equipment in sports, especially football.
• The researchers are also developing a mouth guard with
a motion-recording accelerometer inside to monitor
• New football helmet will be ready in 2015 and will have a
Kevlar based frame, rams horn inspired inner foam lining,
and a magnesium alloy face mask.
• The concussion detection software is an app on a mobile
device, and will notify trainers if a football player has been
hit at a dangerous level.
• Not only is the helmet designed with real brain
simulations, it's also tested with real pig brains to better
understand concussions in the game of football.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.