0
http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-1234747-ragusa-ibla/
Ragusa Ibla Ragusa is one of eight places recognized by UNESCO where the devastation wrought by a major earthquake in 1693...
UNESCO World Heritage Site, representing "the final flowering of baroque art in Europe.”
Ponte Vecchio ,  1843
UNESCO World Heritage Site, representing "the final flowering of baroque art in Europe.”
 
In Ragusa Ibla next to the 'Villa' (as the Sicilians call their public gardens) you'll find the remains of the ancient chu...
 
 
The splendid Villa Comunale (public gardens), very well-mantained, is situated at the far end of Ragusa Ibla
Villa Comunale (public gardens)
Villa Comunale (public gardens)
 
 
 
 
Chiesa di S.Giuseppe
The decorative Baroque façade of S.Giuseppe church in Ragusa Ibla,  Piazza Pola (l'antica Piazza Maggiore) Faţada baroc a ...
Chiesa di S.Giuseppe
Piazza Pola
Piazza Pola
Piazza Pola
Piazza Pola
Piazza Pola
Circolo di Conversazione, Piazza Pola
 
Palazzo la Rocca was built in 1765 on the wishes of Baron La Rocca who set up his residence there. The façade has several ...
Palazzo La Rocca
 
 
 
The pistachio, Pistacia vera in the Anacardiaceae family, is a small tree originally from Persia (Iran), which now can als...
Palazzo Cosentini,  baroque palace XVIII century (finished in 1779), is famous for its baroque balconies with the 'mascher...
Ragusa, ora ş  cu nu mai pu ţ in de 18 monumente recunoscute de U NESCO   î n patrimoniul universal.
Palazzo Cosentini
Palazzo Cosentini
Palazzo Cosentini
Cathedral (Duomo) of San Giorgio   stands at the top of a monumental staircase. It was designed by the architect Rosario G...
Chiesa San Giorgio
San Giorgio Cathedral (Duomo) is one of the masterpieces of Sicilian Baroque and was built starting in 1738 (architect Ros...
Catedrala San Giorgio este unul din monumentele ale c ă rui planuri au fost desenate de arh. Rosario Gagliardi;  î nceput ...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Chiesa San Giorgio
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Arrivederci  Ragusa
Sound :   Mara  Eli - Comu l'unna Text: Internet Pictures : Sanda Foişoreanu Internet Otilia Contraş Gabriela Cristescu Co...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Ragusa Ibla

887

Published on

Ragusa is one of eight places recognized by UNESCO where the devastation wrought by a major earthquake in 1693 resulted in a massive public rebuilding program and the construction of fanciful late baroque palazzos, cathedrals, churches and other buildings.
!!!!! This is a notes page presentation. If you want more information, read speaker notes or after the download, follows the steps: File-new-read only-view-notes page!!!!
YOU CAN WATCH THIS PRESENTATION IN MUSIC HERE: http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-1234747-ragusa-ibla/
(You have the link on the first slide)

Published in: Travel, Technology
18 Comments
2 Likes
Statistics
Notes
No Downloads
Views
Total Views
887
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
74
Comments
18
Likes
2
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • Ragusa the Cathedral of San Giorgio located in Piazza Duomo which draws the attention of the crowds. The Cathedral, designed by Rosario Gagliardi, is preceded by a flight of some 250 steps and sports a series of incredibly ornate columns . Cities constructed like gardens carved in stone, a grayish white stone which, as the sun sets, blushes a soft shade of pink. In the 18th century, the area of Sicily between Noto and Ragusa witnessed a veritable explosion of baroque art. This was the time when incredibly ornate churches and theatrically flamboyant palazzi completely transformed the appearance of some of Sicily's oldest cities.   This exuberant burst of Sicilian baroque might not have been a direct consequence of, but nevertheless followed immediately after, one of the most devastating natural disasters ever to have struck the island of Sicily. In 1693, South Eastern Sicily was the victim of a powerful earthquake and the provinces of Ragusa and Siracusa were among the most badly damaged. In the wake of the earthquake, a new fervor and, in particular, a new religious fervor, fuelled the area's reconstruction and it was in this period that the works of masters of Baroque architecture, such as the Siracusa-born Rosario Gagliardi, dramatically changed the townscapes of Sicily.
  • Ragusa is divided into the modern, 20th century city (with the occasional baroque church or palazzo ), and the once abandoned historic center of Ragusa Ibla : this latter has been recently brought back to life by the advent of tourism in the area. The twisting decent to Ibla is best made on foot so as not to miss out on the many marvelous architectural details present in the old town. The Cathedral of San Giorgio is by far the most important edifice in Ibla. Work of Gagliardi, the "duomo" has the typical towered form found in the houses of worship built in the Valley of Noto . The Church of San Giuseppe is also attributed to Gagliardi and has a façade similar to that of the cathedral. The name "Ragusa" is derived from the Greek-Byzantine term "Rogos" , meaning "granary". The city is sited approximately 500 meters above sea level , in a hilly landscape, close to all of the principal Sicilian cities. Ragusa is divided in two, Ragusa Superiore and Ragusa Inferiore , known also as "Ibla" , (originally Hibla Heraia). It is in Ragusa Inferiore that the most important monuments can be found, buildings such as the Church of St Maria delle Scale , the Cathedral of St Giovanni Battista, the Church of Purgatory with its Baroque portal, and Palazzo Donnafugata in which there are splendid paintings assigned to Antonello da Messina. The principal economic activities of Ragusa are linked to agriculture , craftsmanship, tourism . The vibrant Via Roma is the heart of the city life. Ragusa (68000 inhabitants; 502m a. s. l.;
  • ECONOMY The presence of oil and hydrocarbons on its territory represent a major resource for Ragusa’s economy. The earliest wells were drilled in 1953. The agriculture, as in all Sicily, is still the main activity, notably the hothouse cultivation and breeding, the latter related to the production of world famous “caciocavallo” cheese, that is still hand-made along with the ricotta and other food specialties in the masseria (farm); honey, notably that of “satra”, which is a bush growing on the plateaus, is also much renowned. Factories for the processing of agricultural products are spread all across the province. Ragusa’s craft production is as much renowned, notably copper and wrought-iron’s, and embroidery. The local traditional products are promoted by festivals and events able to draw people from Sicily and beyond. Among the religious festivals a special mention goes to San Giorgio’s celebration. On this occasion the church is all illuminated and decorated with flowers as the statue of the Saint on horseback – which is not very heavy – is carried shoulder-high by a group of worshippers throughout Ibla streets. The statue is preceded by a silvered holy ark containing the relics of the Saint.
  • Tour of the town The tour of the town starts with the Basilica of San Giorgio, an impressive specimen of Sicilian baroque. The church, erected in 1775 by Rosario Gagliardi, well-known architect from Siracusa, has an elegant façade with three tiers of columns and is flanked by a side-bay surmounted by a volute. The stairway and the volute, though recently constructed, were harmoniously adapted. A beautiful decorated mirror, representing the Martyrdom of San Giorgio, by painter Vito D’Amore, adorns the nave; the sacristy contains a marble ancona, sculptures of the Gagini school, and the precious “treasure” of the Saint. The Chiesa di San Giuseppe, in Pola’s square, has a façade very similar to San Giorgio’s, hence attributed to Gagliardi. It houses precious stuccoes, paintings and several baroque pieces. Its elliptical front, inside, is adorned with a nice portal, a baroque bell-tower and a beautiful silvered 17th century statue of San Giuseppe. The Chiesa di Sant’Antonio (formerly Santa Maria La Nuova), on Via Orfanotrofio, is accessed by a nice ogival portal, a remain from the original Gothic construction, and, on the other side, by a baroque portaletto (small portal). The sacristy portal also is a remain of the original structure. The splendid Villa Comunale (public gardens) is situated at the far end of Ragusa Ibla. Very well-mantained, it offers beautiful sights of the mountain ranges and down over the Irminio valley. The Villa hosts three churches at its inside: San Giorgio il Vecchio, San Giacomo and the Capuchins.
  • The Chiesa di San Giorgio il Vecchio (Saint George the Elder) has an amazing Gothic-Norman doorway bearing a portray of Saint George killing the dragon and the Aragon’s eagles. The church, dating back to the Chiaramonte’s age, was erected towards the mid-1300s and must have been very important and large, given its sumptuous, albeit damaged, portal and dramatic sculptures inside. The Chiesa dei Cappuccini Vecchi (church of the old capuchins) has a simple façade enriched with four parastas with Corinthian capitals that support a neo-classic front with two small bells. Inside, it has a truss roof and one of the most beautiful paintings in Ragusa, a Triptych by Pietro Novelli, depicting the Virgin Mary surrounded by angels and saints (one of them represents, self-portrayed, the painter himself). The 14th century Chiesa di San Giacomo, also inside the Villa, is better known as the Church of the Crucifix, due to a wooden effigy to the left of the main altar. The Chiesa di Santa Maria delle Scale, on Via 24 Maggio, was largely rebuilt after the earthquake in 1693 and retains of the original structure only the Gothic portal and the bell-tower. Inside, there are remarkable Gothic-Renaissance arches and a 16th century terracotta image of the virgin Mary, of the Gagini school. An elegant flight of steps from the church leads to Ragusa Ibla. There stands the 18th century Chiesa di Santa Maria dell’Idria, dated 1639, built at the behest of the Knights of Malta order. The doorway bears, still visible, the Cross of the order; the altar, inside, is sumptuously adorned with the order’s ornaments. A bell-tower stands left of the church, ornamented with lovely floral panels of majolica from Caltagirone.
  • In Ragusa Ibla next to the 'Villa' (as the Sicilians call their public gardens) you'll find the remains of the ancient church of San Giorgio to not confuse with the Duomo in the main piazza in Ibla. It was built around the XII century and is a beautifull example of Gotic-Catalan style. Of the old church is left only the front wall with it's beautiful Portal. Built with blocks of soft lime stone, of a soft pink colour, the Portal has carvings representing the knight fighting the dragon (just above the door), the Ragusan eagle and flowers, leaves, 7 columns and arches as ornaments. The church was very badly damaged during an earthquake in 1693 and most of the stones of the old church were used to build the new Duomo of San Giorgio but fortunately the portal was spared and if you are in Ragusa Ibla it's definitely worth a stop to admire this great little gem!
  • The Palazzo Cosentini and Palazzo Bertini sit nearby. The former is the most typical of all the 18th century buildings in town, with elegant balconies supported by ornamented corbels and sculptured animals and masks typical of the Baroque Art. The Palazzo Bertini, erected by the Florida family towards the end of the 18th century and successively acquired by the Bertinis, a local aristocratic family, also has masks on its façade. According to tradition, these personify: the pauper, the noble and the merchant. The Cattedrale di San Giovanni – dedicated to Ragusa’s patron saint – rising from the square of the same name, was built between 1706 and 1760; it has a front elevation in Baroque style with an imposing doorway flanked by a belfry. On the inside are precious stuccoes and the lovely Canonical House. The Corso Italia street leads to Piazza del Carmine, where stands a 18th century Sanctuary of recent construction.
  • The Iblean Archaeological Museum, on Via Natalelli, under the Ponte Nuovo (the new bridge), is housed in the first floor of the Mediterraneo hotel; it displays the archaeological finds from excavations in the territory of Ragusa. The collection is topographically and chronologically arranged. The first section displays relics ranging in date from the Neolithic to the Bronze Age. The second, exclusively devoted to material recovered in Kamarina, contains Necropolises’ equipment and material, artefacts, Hellenic and Roman ceramics. The third section displays relics from the most ancient Sikel settlements. Here, worth-mentioning is the material pertaining to the necropolises of Monte Casaia, Castiglione and Ragusa Ibla. The fourth displays documents referring to Greek sites, notably to excavations at Scornavacche, and a faithfully reconstructed workshop of a ceramist. The fifth section collects Roman and late-Roman’s specimens, mainly from Kaukana and Santa Croce Camerina excavations, where floor mosaics belonging to an early-Christian church were discovered. The earliest bridge in Ragusa, called Ponte Vecchio or Ponte dei Cappuccini, above mentioned, was built at the behest of the Capuchin Friars, who first understood the necessity of a bridge spanning the Gonfalone valley. Designed by engineer Giarruso, this was inaugurated in 1835. A latomia – a rock-cut tomb – of the early-Christian Age (4th century BC) was brought to light 2 kilometres away, in the vicinity of limestone quarries.
  • The Duomo di San Giorgio is a precious example of the Sicilian Baroque. Erected on the old Church of San Nicolò, it was destroyed by the 1693 earthquake. The reconstruction was initiated in 1738 and completed in 1775. The design, whose project is still preciously preserved, belongs to Rosario Gagliardi from Siracusa, a major author of the post-quake reconstruction of the Noto Valley. The church has a nice stairway that is slightly asymmetric, as is the square before it. Its eye-catching façade, with three storeys, features a richly decorated main entrance and a Neoclassic dome that was made by Carmelo Cutrano in 1820. The interior has a latin-cross design with three naves and houses numerous works of art among which several altar-pieces by Vito D’Anna are outstanding. The image of Saint George on horseback and killing the dragon adorns both the façade and the fence. The beautiful piazza before the church is surrounded by such striking aristocratic palazzi as Palazzo Arezzi and Palazzo Donnafugata. icilian Baroque is the distinctive form of architecture that took hold in the 17th and 18th centuries. The style is recognizable not only by its typical Baroque curves and flourishes, but also by its grinning masks and putti and a particular flamboyance that has given Sicily a unique architectural identity.
  • One of the most beautiful places on the Earth, Sicily recently was associated only with Mafia. Now the situation has completely changed. Mafia is almost defeated and the island has become travelers’ paradise, very popular resort whose beauty is supplemented with the wide range of architectural and cultural attractions. Sicily is a mix of cultures and nations. The explanation lies in its rich history. During the centuries Sicily was ruled by Asians, Africans and Europeans that formed the special Sicilian nation. On the island you can still see Phoenician settlements, Punic cities, Greek temples, Roman amphitheatres, Norman Arab castles and Aragonese churches. Cities with the Greek origin are mostly situated on the west side of the island. These cities are Selinunte, Segesta, Siracusa and Agrigento. There, on the West also lies the impressive Valley of Temples.
  • Nu departe de Modica se afla Ragusa, oras cu nu mai putin de 18 monumente recunoscute de Unesco in patrimoniul universal. In majoritate sunt expresii ale stilului baroc adaptat acestei zone. Orasul are cam aceeasi istorie ca Modica, cu mici diferente: in 1927 a devenit capitala de district in detrimentul Modicei, care a ocupat aceasta pozitie din 1296. Deasemenea, cutremurul din 1693 a facut mult mai multe victime decat in Modica, cca 5000 persoane au murit. Catedrala San Giorgio este unul din monumentele ale carui planuri au fost desenate de arh. Rosario Gagliardi; inceputa in 1744 (planurile dateaza din 1738), constructia a durat pana in 1775. Domul a fost realizat in 1820 dupa modelul Panteonului din Paris de mesterul Cultraro Carmelo. Nu putem sa nu amintim Catedrala san Giovanni Battista, actual centru de dioceza locala (din 1950). Prima biserica construita inainte de cutremurul din 1693 se ridica in vestul orasului, in zidul castelului medieval unde azi se gaseste micuta biserica Sfanta Agnes, reconstruita pe ruinele celei vechi la sfarsitul sec 18.
  • In 1718 se deschide un nou santier pentru o biserica mai mare sub conducerea a doi mesteri : Giuseppe Recupero si Giovanni Arcidiacono care au lucrat la Catedrala din Acireale. Este vorba de biserica San Giovanni Battista, cu o fatada monumentala cu trei portale. Intrarea principala este flancata de doua perechi de coloane bogat ornamentate ce suporta un fronton grise, flancat de cele doua statui ale Sf. Ion Botezatorul si Sf. Ion Evanghelistul. La etajul al doilea se afla doua cadrane solare (din 1751) care arata timpul in ore italiene** de la un apus de soare la urmatorul si in ore franceze, de la miezul noptii curent la miezul noptii zilei urmatoare. Pe partea de stanga se ridica clopotnita de 50 m inaltime ; la interior biserica este bogat ornamentata de coloane cu capitele aurite, inscriptii pe panouri de marmora sau coral, cu ingeri de stuco, volti rococo adaugate mai tarziu (1776-1777). La sfirsitul sec 19, mici capele in marmora policroma sunt adaugate. Pardoseala din dale de piata cu incrustatii de calcar alb este realizata in 1848 iar marea orga « Serassi » este plasata in 1858 deasupra intrarii. Principale. In aceeasi piata a acestei catedrale se mai gasesc alte trei cladiri baroce: Palazzo Vescovile, Palazzo Zacco si Palazzo Bertini. Micuta biserica Santa Maria delle Scale, datind din 1080, sta chiar in capul scarilor ce duc jos in Ragusa.
  • Alte monumente intrate in patrimoniu sunt: Biserica Santa Maria dell'Idria, San Filippo Neri, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Giuseppe, Santa Maria del Gesu, San Francesco si Chiesa Anime del Purgatorio precum si palate: Palazzo della Cancelleria , Palazzo Cosentini , Palazzo Sortino Trono, Palazzo La Rocca. Via Roma, in partea de sus a orasului, este o strada comerciala. Aici se gasesc si cateva baruri si restaurante. Muzeul de Arheologie gazdueste exponate din sapaturile executate in provincia Ragusa acoperiind epoci din preistorie pana in timpuri tarzii ale asezarilor romane. Dea lungul coastei de sud-est a Ragusei, in drumul spre Modica, s-au facut sapaturi arheologice ce au dezveli situri de morminte (necropole).
  • Majoritatea fotografiilor de pe net sunt ale lui Hans R van der Woude
  • Transcript of "Ragusa Ibla"

    1. 1. http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-1234747-ragusa-ibla/
    2. 2. Ragusa Ibla Ragusa is one of eight places recognized by UNESCO where the devastation wrought by a major earthquake in 1693 resulted in a massive public rebuilding program and the construction of fanciful late baroque palazzos, cathedrals, churches and other buildings. (The others are Caltagirone, Catania, Militello, Modica, Noto, Palazzolo and Scicli.) Ragusa is divided into two parts. There is the modern part, which is further subdivided between the truly modern town, with shopping malls and an ugly and imposing asphalt operation, and a more graceful older quarter built in the 18th and 19th centuries. And there is the most historic part, Ragusa Ibla, the medieval town rebuilt in an eruption of baroque on the old footprint of coiling streets. Ragusa este una dintre cele opt localităţi înscrise pe listele patrimoniului mondial UNESCO, în care drept urmare devastatorului cutremur din anul 1693 s-a aplicat un sistem unitar de reconstruire a clădirilor (palate, biserici, catedrale) în stil baroc. Celelale oraşe sunt Caltagirone, Catania, Militello, Modica, Noto, Palazzolo şi Scicli . Ragusa este formată din două părţi: oraşul modern şi partea medievală. Ragusa Inferioară este cunoscută sub numele de Ragusa Ibla sau pur şi simplu Ibla şi este un adevărat nucleu istoric, un amestec de antic (sec.III î.C.), medieval şi baroc "To have seen Italy without having seen Sicily is not to have seen Italy at all, for Sicily is the clue to everything.“ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    3. 3. UNESCO World Heritage Site, representing "the final flowering of baroque art in Europe.”
    4. 4. Ponte Vecchio , 1843
    5. 5. UNESCO World Heritage Site, representing "the final flowering of baroque art in Europe.”
    6. 7. In Ragusa Ibla next to the 'Villa' (as the Sicilians call their public gardens) you'll find the remains of the ancient church of San Giorgio built around the XII century (a beautifull example of Gotic-Catalan style). The church was very badly damaged during an earthquake in 1693 and most of the stones of the old church were used to build the new Duomo of San Giorgio. În Ragusa Ibla lângă Parcul oraşului (Villa comunale) se află vechea poartă a fostei biserici San Giorgio, frumos exemplu de gotic catalan. Biserica a fost iremediabil distrusă de cutremurul din anul 1693 şi majoritatea pietrelor ei au fost refolosite pentru construirea Domului San Giorgio
    7. 10. The splendid Villa Comunale (public gardens), very well-mantained, is situated at the far end of Ragusa Ibla
    8. 11. Villa Comunale (public gardens)
    9. 12. Villa Comunale (public gardens)
    10. 17. Chiesa di S.Giuseppe
    11. 18. The decorative Baroque façade of S.Giuseppe church in Ragusa Ibla, Piazza Pola (l'antica Piazza Maggiore) Faţada baroc a bisericii San Giuseppe din Ragusa Ibla, în piaţa Pola (fosta Piaţa Mare)
    12. 19. Chiesa di S.Giuseppe
    13. 20. Piazza Pola
    14. 21. Piazza Pola
    15. 22. Piazza Pola
    16. 23. Piazza Pola
    17. 24. Piazza Pola
    18. 25. Circolo di Conversazione, Piazza Pola
    19. 27. Palazzo la Rocca was built in 1765 on the wishes of Baron La Rocca who set up his residence there. The façade has several balconies that are held up by different sized brackets and some interesting anthropomorphic figures. The rooms on the first floor contain some authentic eighteenth-century furnishings. Palatul La Rocca a fost construit în anul 1765 la dorinţa baronului La Rocca, care şi-a stabilit aici reşedinţa. Pe faţadă există câteva balcoane decorate cu interesante figuri antropomorfe.
    20. 28. Palazzo La Rocca
    21. 32. The pistachio, Pistacia vera in the Anacardiaceae family, is a small tree originally from Persia (Iran), which now can also be found in to regions of Syria, Lebanon, Turkey, Greece, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, India, Pakistan, Egypt and….Sicily Fisticul, originar din Persia, a fost adus de arabi
    22. 33. Palazzo Cosentini, baroque palace XVIII century (finished in 1779), is famous for its baroque balconies with the 'mascheroni'. Because of its position, on what used to be one of the main cross-road, it used to have the statues of the Saints of Travellers at two of its corners. The statue of San Francesco di Paola (still on site/visible) on the south-side near the stairs that take to Ragusa and San Cristoforo or San Rocco on the north-side. Unesco World Heritage. Palatul Cosentini, patrimoniu UNESCO, terminat în anul 1779, este faimos pentru balcoanele sale. El este decorat şi cu statuile Sfinţilor patroni ai călătorilor: San Francesco di Paula şi San Cristoforo sau San Rocco.
    23. 34. Ragusa, ora ş cu nu mai pu ţ in de 18 monumente recunoscute de U NESCO î n patrimoniul universal.
    24. 35. Palazzo Cosentini
    25. 36. Palazzo Cosentini
    26. 37. Palazzo Cosentini
    27. 38. Cathedral (Duomo) of San Giorgio stands at the top of a monumental staircase. It was designed by the architect Rosario Gagliardi, while the imposing neoclassical dome was built around 1820, a copy of the Pantheon in Paris.
    28. 39. Chiesa San Giorgio
    29. 40. San Giorgio Cathedral (Duomo) is one of the masterpieces of Sicilian Baroque and was built starting in 1738 (architect Rosario Gagliardi). It is today on the Unesco World Heritage List
    30. 41. Catedrala San Giorgio este unul din monumentele ale c ă rui planuri au fost desenate de arh. Rosario Gagliardi; î nceput ă î n 1744 (planurile dateaz ă din 1738), construc ţ ia a durat p â n ă î n anul 1775. Domul a fost realizat î n anul 1820 dup ă modelul Panteonului din Paris, de arhitectul Cultraro Carmelo (1777-1853).
    31. 51. Chiesa San Giorgio
    32. 59. Arrivederci Ragusa
    33. 60. Sound : Mara Eli - Comu l'unna Text: Internet Pictures : Sanda Foişoreanu Internet Otilia Contraş Gabriela Cristescu Copyright: All the images belong to their authors. Arangement : Sanda Foişoreanu www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda
    1. A particular slide catching your eye?

      Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.

    ×