VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 2014/3
FULL-TIME FACULTY POSITION IN HUMANITIES
Position: Full-Time Instructor in English Language
School or Unit: Core Curriculum
Application Deadline: 6.00 p.m. GMT, June 6, 2014
The International University of Grand-Bassam (IUGB) is a private, public supported institution established within the
framework of a public-private partnership. IUGB offers an American curriculum in English. It opened in 2005, and, by the
signing of Decree 2007-499 on May 16, 2007, was formally accredited as a University within the Côte d’Ivoire higher
education system. Envisioned as a Regional Center of Excellence in Higher Education in Africa, IUGB’s mission is to
provide internationally recognized higher education through technology-enhanced English medium instruction in fields
critical for regional development, international success and life-long learning.
The International University of Grand Bassam (IUGB) is an American-style university offering a range of 4-year degree
programs. It is located in Grand-Bassam, a coastal city about 20 miles east of the economic capital, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
All instruction is in English. However, applicants should be aware that, while IUGB is an English medium institution, it is
located in a French-speaking environment.
The Instructor will be expected to teach English courses at IUGB and to render services as required by IUGB
administration. Materials development and providing learning support to students are integral responsibilities of this
1. Identifying learning needs of students, defining appropriate learning objectives, and ensuring that content, methods
of delivery and learning materials will meet the defined learning objectives.
2. Choosing appropriate textbooks and other teaching materials, designing lectures, delivering course contents to
3. Assessing and grading students’ work and examinations, and providing constructive feedback to students.
4. Having regular contact with students in order to provide support.
5. Seeking to improve teaching performance by continuously being up-to-date with current advances in pedagogy, and
obtaining and analyzing feedback from students, peers, and the Associate Dean.
6. Collaborating with support staff and academic colleagues to ensure student needs and expectations are met.
7. Collaborating with academic colleagues on course development as well as curriculum development or changes.
8. Teach 5/5 courses.
Master’s in English or related field
Essential: At least 3 years of experience teaching English, preferably at university level.
Highly recommended: International teaching experience and/or study or extended stay in an English-speaking
To ensure consideration:
Candidates should send the following documents electronically to the IUGB office of Human Resources, at
firstname.lastname@example.org before 18.00 (GMT) on June 6, 2014.
a. A letter of application stating the candidate’s interest in the position and qualifications;
b. A curriculum vitae including the names and contact details of at least two referees;
c. Evidence of effective teaching, for example, copies of teaching evaluations;
d. Official transcripts of graduate studies completed.
Very Important Notice: Before submitting your application via email, be sure to include in the subject line the Vacancy
Announcement number and the position title: VA # 2014-3 Instructor in English Language.