2. What is ??• http://www.pinterest.com• Pinterest is a Virtual Bulletin Board• It allows you organize and share all of the beautiful things you find on the Internet• More specifically, you can share images of ideas and inspirations that you come across in your web browsing.
3. Terminology• Pin – A pin is an image added to Pinterest. You can link to an image from a web site or upload it from your computer• Repin – Once something is pinned, it can then be repined by other Pinterest users. This is how content is spread virally, similar to a retweet on Twitter.• Board – This is where your pins live. You can have separate boards for subjects.
4. How do you sign up??• As of right now, Pinterest sign ups are on an “Invite Only” status.• You can only be invited by a current member of the site.• Once you do have an invite, you can setup your login to be a stand-alone account, or use it in combination with your Facebook or Twitter login.
5. Source: Mashable.com
6. Why would I use it? What is it used for?• Here are a few examples taken from the Pinterest website (http://pinterest.com/about): Redecorate your Home! Joy uses Pinterest to save decorating ideas for her new home in LA. She saves patterns, furniture, and accessories that catch her eye. Plan a Wedding! Divya and Ben use Pinterest to plan their wedding. Their Moms can leave comments about the dresses, flowers, and ties they pin up.
7. Popularity• According to Experian Hitwise – Pinterest is now the third most popular Social network in the US behind Facebook and Twitter (beating out Linkedin AND Google+)
8. Potential Issues• Some website owners are blocking their content from being pinned due to copyright issues.• Pinterest is currently following DMCA standards, but there are still ways around it (saving image to local computer & uploading it)• Pinterest has created an HTML meta tag to block pins. (Place it within the <head> tag of website’s HTML)• Wordpress has created a plug-in to block Pinterest as well…
9. Pinterest Tips• Pin directly to the URL you are pinning a picture from. For example, if you are pinning from a blog, pin directly to the blog post. This eliminates the need to scroll through a bunch of content to find the photo originally pinned.• Do not copy word-for-word the content from another website in your pin’s description. This can constitute as copyright infringement and also, occupy too much space on your board. Source: TheNestEffect.com
10. Pinterest Tips (cont.)• Organize your boards – setup individual boards based on topics or content. This eliminates the “endless scroll”.• Add the “Pin It” button to your Toolbar. This is a utility provided for free by Pinterest and can be downloaded at http://pinterest.com/about/goodies Source: TheNestEffect.com
11. “Live Demo” How to Pin something to your board• Click the add button• When the pop-up “Add” box comes up, select the type of pin you will be adding . You can add a pin from a URL or upload one from your computer.
12. “Live Demo” (cont.) Upload a pinAdd a pin from (picture) from Create a newa URL (http:// your computer’s pinboard. address) hard drive
13. “Live Demo” (cont.) Adding a Pin from a URL. Type the URL in the box and click the “Find Images” button. Use the Prev/Next buttons to find the image you want.Drop the box down to select the board you want to pin it to, or type a new name to create a new board. Once a board is selected, type a description and click “Pin It”, you can also opt to share the pin with Twitter and Facebook if you linked the accounts.
14. “Live Demo” (cont.)Select the “Upload Pin” button if you want to share an image that resides on your computer. Click the browse button to Locate the image on your Computer’s hard drive After you locate the image, a preview of the picture will appear in the window below the browse button. Select the board you want to place the Image on and add a description. Click the pin it button when Complete and share on Twitter and/or Facebook if desired.
15. “Live Demo” (cont.)How to create a new board… -Click the “Create Board” button -Select a board name -Select a board category -Select who is allowed to pin to the board -Click “Create Board”
16. Finding Friends/Following Friends You can invite friends or find friends underneath the profile Menu (the one that has your name).All of your stats can be found on the stat bar when clicking on the “Boards” menu option. Example – I have 8 boards which contain 136 pins. I have liked 1 board. I have 15 followers and 43 others are following me. **You can also edit your profile and check the activity from the stat bar.
17. How to search? Using the search box in the upper left hand corner, type in a subject you wish to search for.You can choose to search Pins, Boards or People by clickingthe links under the search bar.Pins matching the description will be returned.If you see something that interests you, you can chooseto “Repin” the item to your board, like the pin (similar toLiking something on Facebook) or Comment on the pin. Likes, Repins and Comments will appear below the photo
18. Is there an app for that?• There is an iPhone/iPad app for Pinterest which can be downloaded from the App Store. The cost is FREE.• There is currently no app for the Android Marketplace, it is still in development as of the creation of this presentation.
19. Other Cool Pinterest Tools/Goodies PinReach is your source for Pinterest influence• Pin Reach – http://www.pinreach.com and analytics. Similar to Url2pin.it this site• Snapito – http://snapito.com takes screen shots and turns them into pins.• Highlight any quote and Pinaquote – http://pinaquote.com pin it to Pinterest Incorporates a screen grab• Pinstamatic – http://pinstamatic.com tool, adds "sticky note" images for pinning text, and a Twitter profile card pin-maker.• URL2Pin.it – http://url2pin.it Take a screenshot of an entire website and pin it Calculates Your• Pinpuff – http://pinpuff.com/index.php Pinfluence.• Coming soon: a Pinerly – http://www.pinerly.com Pinterest friendly dashboard. Source: Mashable.com
20. Invite! Invite! Who wants an invite?• Send an email to email@example.com or a direct message on Twitter to @nepablogs and we will gladly send one your way!