1. ‘No Lift education and BariatricCare across a Multidisciplinary Health Field’ July 2010- June11 Stephen Morley March 2012
2. Bendigo Health
3. Educating a diverse workforce• Registered Nurses; – General stream Graduate Nurses. – Psychiatric stream Graduate Nurses.• Enrolled Nurses.• Unit Managers.• Physiotherapist.• Occupational therapist.• Medical Students (Doctors).• Health Service Assistants.• Porters.• Students; • Undergraduate Nurse. • Enrolled Nurses. • Physiotherapist. • Occupational Therapists.
4. Training / Education offered• Full day (New staff).• Partial day; – 4 hour. – 2 hour. – 1 hour.• Ongoing staff education; – ward and individual.• Return to work or duties; – ward and individual.
5. Training Offered• Full day: – 2 hours legal and background information. – 3 > 4 hours practical. – 1 hour problem solving and documentation and debriefing.• Partial day: • 4 hours (Train the Trainer update); • 1 hour legal and background information. • 2 ½ hours practical. • ½ hours problem solving and documentation.
8. Legal and documentation• Included: – Legal; • OH&S. • Policy of Bendigo Health. • Work safe. – Documentation; • When. • Where and • Why.
9. Practical• On bed.• Off bed.• Lifting equipment.• Posture and techniques.• Practical Solutions.• Team nursing; – Floor hoists. – Over head tracking. – Hover Jack and Hover Mat.
10. Bariatric Education Potential problem to solutionProblem : Adaptability• Staffing.• Education.• Problem Solving.• Equipment; – Lifters. – Transferring . – Beds. – Ward enviroment.
11. EducationParticipation Training Room
12. What we have learnt• Education planning; – pre attendance.• Adaptability to class (environment and structure).• Common sense approach.• Evidence based education.• Good follow up of ideas and questions.• Learning from your students.
13. What else we have done• Visited other facilities.• Networking.• Bariatric Patient Check List & Risk Assessment.• Inventory of equipment on all campuses.• Individual patient assessments.
14. What else we have done• Inventory of equipment available on the BH intranet site, (pictures and SWL).• Unit specific competencies (Med / Surg / CCU etc.).• Updated: No Lift Policy.• Ongoing education for staff and 3 way access for staff; – Pager / phone / email.
15. Thankyou Stephen Morley No Lift Coordinator. Bendigo Health. Po Box 126 Bendigo firstname.lastname@example.org
16. Acknowledgments• Louise O’Shea No Lift.• Jenny Hocking – No Lift coordinator Bendigo Health.• Bariatric Working Party Bendigo Health.• OH&S Department Bendigo Health.