1. Hard Times Hit• When hard times come: – We need help. – Why do they come? – Where will we go? – What can we do?• Thanks to God, we can find the strength to go on!
2. Hard Times Hit Judah• They had sinned, and God was punishing them. – Joshua prophesied of this destruction. Joshua 23:15-16 – It was happening in Jeremiah’s day. Lamentations 1:5; Jeremiah 40:3• When we sin, God will punish us! Hebrews 12:5-11; Galatians 6:7-8
3. We Need Help• God will punish us and help us to do right. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 – His word will prick and convict our hearts. John 16:8; Acts 2:37 – His word teaches us what we should and should not do. 1 Peter 3:8-12• God will help us, but we must listen and be obedient. Matthew 7:21; Ephesians 5:17 – Includes our going to Him for help. Heb. 4:16
4. Why TroubleThree Basics• We bring it on ourselves. Reap-Sow• Sometimes others bring it. Bad crowd infects those around them• God also allows it to bring needed growth. James 1:2-4
5. Where To Go• The Lord! Proverbs 3:1-7 – God’s word – The Bible is profitable to thoroughly equip one for every good work. 2 Timothy 3:16-17• Self doesn’t have all the answers. Proverbs 14:12; Jeremiah 10:23• Neither do sinners know the right way. 1 Corinthians 15:33; Proverbs 1:10 GW“My son, if sinners lure you, do not go along.”
6. What To Do• Find the strength in His Word.• He tells us to… – Examine ourselves and return to Him. Lamentations 3:40; 2 Corinthians 13:5 – Have sorrow for your sin and repent. Lamentation 3:47-48; 2 Corinthians 7:10 – Ask God for help and forgiveness. 1 John 1:9; 1 Peter 3:12 – The faithful look to the Lord for salvation and wait patiently for Him. Lam. 3:21-26
7. Jesus Wants To Give You Strength!• We can do all things through Christ. Philippians 4:13• But first we must come to Him. Mt. 11:28-30*Hear and learn the gospel. Jn. 6:45; Rom.1:16*Believe the gospel. Mark 16:16*Repent of sin. Acts 3:19*Confess Jesus. Acts 8:37*Be baptized. Acts 22:16**Be faithful! Revelation 2:10