Social Media Tips and Best
Practices for New Graduates
California State University, Los Angeles
• Online reputation management
• Building an online personal brand
• Social media as a vehicle for ‘proof’ of soft
• Career hunting
I am so glad I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s!
So much of your lives are online. ORM matters.
Managing your digital footprint
• Google yourself; Diagnose the problem
• Delete old social media accounts
• Optimize privacy settings for the ones you use
• Create new ones that help (a thoughtful blog,
LinkedIn account, Twitter)
• From here on in: Think before you post!
Bring clarity to online presence with personal branding
Effective brands are
memorable, clear and convey
• You are going to be Googled by employers!
• Create an online presence that reinforces the
brand message delivered during interviews
• Blogging, Twitter and LinkedIn are the obvious
• Use effective images and content
Soft skills—the real reason people get hired
Foundational and elemental
Technical skills are meaningless without soft skills that support
Social Media and Soft Skills
• Represent an opportunity to demonstrate
competence and capability in one of the most
critical soft skills: Communication/writing
• Make sure you post intelligently and
• Can also demonstrate analytical thinking and
Social Media? You’re doing it wrong. It’s social networking. The
technology isn’t important. The access to people is what matters.
Terrifying or energizing?
Some social networks matter more than others and
have more worth. Higher value social networks.
Networking and Your Career
• Let people know you are looking
• Reach out to people before and after you
• Twitter is particularly helpful since you can
follow and retweet
• Hashtags related to job hunting and industry
conversations can be another source of
Online is not real life.
There should be a professional version of you readily
available online that promotes your strengths and value.