What is AR?
A technology that superimposes a
computer-generated image on a user's
view of the real world, providing a
Developed in 1990 by Boeing
◦ Allowing technicians to work without manuals
on complex tasks.
Simply put: Adding another dimension to
the real world!
Where is it used?
Leisure and Tourism
AR v VR
Augmented Reality AR is not Virtual
VR is a computer generated
environment to stimulate the senses.
Why use it at the Academy?
◦ Language and disability.
◦ Allowing the user to perform tasks that are
normally difficult to access.
Access learning, training and skills.
◦ See how things work, where things go
and try things without fear of mistake.
College End of Year
All content created by the students
Layar embedded AR
◦ 615 page views. 513 interactions, 38
Time constraints to acquire the
◦ Video especially time consuming
Film, Copy to computer, Remove background,
editing, finishing and uploading.
WiFi issues in certain areas around
Student A has not been engaging in
class activities. They are educated on
a 1-2-1 basis currently in a separate
Want to go back to class
AR will be developed to allow them to
‘look inside’ the class to see what is
going on, where the students sit etc.
Slowly allowing re-integration.
Fully equipped filming room
◦ Broadcast quality camera
◦ Matte screen
◦ Dedicated editing suite
Allows nearly all editing to be done onthe-fly.
Direct upload to our servers.
Restaurants and Eatery menus.
◦ You won’t eat it if you don’t know what it is!
◦ Bus destinations, timetables, fares
◦ Similarly for Trains, Planes
◦ Displays, explanation of goods/services
◦ What’s happening etc.
Local news papers
◦ Main stories and headlines.
How easy is it?
Create an account
Upload an Image
Add the AR (Video, sounds, images
Bear in mind you need to have the AR
materials ready and saved
somewhere to access!
MixARe (Open source)