• The word comes from the Latin word Concertos (meaning
compact or condensed). Cement + Coarse aggregate + Fine
aggregate + Water + Chemical Admixtures
• Concrete is a mixture of binding material, fine aggregates,
coarse aggregates and water in suitable proportions.
• Concrete is used than any other man made material in the
world. As of 2006, about 7.5kms of concrete is made every
AGGREGATE AND ITS TYPES
• Aggregate is a general term applied to those inert or
chemically inactive materials which, when bonded together
by cement form concrete.
• Cement and lime are generally used as binding materials,
fine aggregates are Sand, Surkhi etc. while coarse
aggregates are crushed stones, gravel, broken pieces of
PROPERTIES OF CONCRETE
• It is a brittle material
• Strong in compression but weak in tension.
• To overcome the weakness steel bars are used in
• Our Site http://metromixconcrete.com.au/services/
• Ready-mix concrete is concrete that is
manufactured in a factory or batching
plant, according to a set recipe, and then
delivered to a work site, by truck
mounted in–transit mixers.
• Also referred as the customized concrete
products for commercial purpose.
• It is delivered to the customer's
construction site in a freshly mixed and
plastic or unhardened state.
• Driveways (a type of private road), can be
made decorative with materials like
concrete called as concrete driveways.
• Also other materials like decorative
brick, cobblestone, block paving, asphalt,
and decomposed granite can also be
PROPERTIES OF CONCRETE IN PLASTIC
• Good workability
• No segregation
• No bleeding
PROPERTIES OF CONCRETE IN
• Adequate strength
• Low shrinkage
• Least thermal expansion
• Economically used in the long run as compared to other building
• It possesses high compressive strength and also resist well to
• Green or Fresh concrete can be molded to any size and shape.
• Durable, Fire resistance and requires very little maintenance.