Co-funded by the European Union , through the Comenius Programme Strategies for searching information online
COSMOS Portal Searching
Organic Portal Searching
Digital content is useful ...
… only if you are able to find what you are looking for The main issue is to find educational content and use it effectively Search at Google for circular motion returns 29.000.000 pages
Effective internet searching
Understand what a search engine is and how it works
Learn the techniques and strategies needed to search quickly and effectively
Learn how to evaluate your results
Be the engine (OK, a little too Zen)
Basic Search Techniques (1/3)
1. Identify your concepts
When planning your search, break down your topic into its separate concepts. Let's say you're interested in the effects of global warming on crops. In this case, you have two concepts: GLOBAL WARMING and CROPS.
Basic Search Techniques (2/3)
2. Make a list of search terms for each concept
Once you have identified your concepts, list the terms which describe each concept. Some concepts may have only one term, while others may have many.
Basic Search Techniques (3/3)
3. Specify the logical relationships among your search terms
Once you know the words you want to search, you need to establish the logical relationships among them using Boolean logic: AND, OR, NOT.
To keep things simple, you don't need to use all the words you've compiled in a single search. The words are there to help you experiment with different searches until you find what you want.
Directory v. Search Engine
Human-organized collection of resources
Often organized by topic
Often annotated and sorted
Many high quality educational directories
Findings depend on search terms
Rankings depend on key words and site popularity
Results depend on skill of searcher
COSMOS Searching and Downloading (1/2)
After the user registration and authentication, one is able to search through the COSMOS Repository and download the material of his choice.
In the COSMOS Repository one can search for Educational Content and Learning Activities following the respective links in the Explore COSMOS section of the COSMOS Repository .
COSMOS Searching and Downloading (2/2)
At COSMOS Repository by using the provided user interfaces you can find the material you are looking for. You can also browse through the top rated material in each category.
You can download the file from the provided link and also you can view and download the xml file containing the metadata record of the material.
Organic Edunet Search (1/3)
In the Organic.Edunet Web portal, users may search or browse for educational resources on Organic Agriculture and Agroecology using five different mechanisms:
1. Text-Based Search : works in a typical text-based searching way. It looks for the keywords that the user is typing, into the title and description of all the educational resources in the federation.
Organic Edunet Search (2/3)
2. Browse : works by allowing the user to browse through all the educational resources in the federation in a multi-faceted way.
3. Semantic Navigation : allows users to search for resources according to an ontology of Organic Agriculture concepts, providing results that are related to the particular concepts in the ontology.
Organic Edunet Search (3/3)
4. Social Navigation : allows users to search for resources according to the way other users have annotated (e.g. tagged or rated) them in the past. Users can either search for resources that have been tagged with a particular word , or can see which resources are most popular to other users .
5. Search for Educational Scenarios : allows users to search for educational scenarios and their resources.
Internet is more than computer network
Internet is a network of people
Unparalleled ability to collaborate
Universal Internet access does not guarantee success in education
Teachers are the critical links
In this presentetion , we've explored some basic search techniques. These should cover many of your search needs. But there is much more. Many search engines and learning repositories offer a variety of other options to help you retrieve the results you want .