Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Pricing strategy
Pricing strategy
Pricing strategy
Pricing strategy
Pricing strategy
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×
Saving this for later? Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime – even offline.
Text the download link to your phone
Standard text messaging rates apply

Pricing strategy

582

Published on

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
582
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
23
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Marketing 1 What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of Pricing Strategy everything and the value of nothing. & Policy Dr. Paurav Shukla Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900) Lady Windermeres Fan, 1892, Act III 3 4 Objectives The price game Setting the Price Joel Urbany’s experiment Adapting the Price You sell sunglasses for $10 with a unit cost of $7 and you are thinking of cutting the price by 50c. Initiating & Responding to Price Changes According to the best sales estimate • If you hold the price you will have a 100% chance of selling 1,000 units • If you cut the price to $9.50 you have an 80% chance of selling 1,250 unit and a 20% chance of selling only 1,000. What would you do? Urbany, Joel E. (2001), “Are your prices too low?” Harvard Business Review, 79 (9), pp. 26-8. 5 6 Why do we pay (more…)? Some critical facts about pricing Customers are willing to pay much more for a pack of Price is like a thermometer in that the higher we can push the price, the better job we have done with uncovering consumer needs and strawberry they buy at a sporting event than from a local designing the marketing mix. grocery store… It doesn’t take any marketing skill to sell a product at a “fire sale” They are willing to pay more for a jeans they buy at price. Marketers earn their keep by getting a premium price for Levis company store than for clothing they buy at products and services. Tesco… Reference price is an important concept in pricing strategy. There They pay more for “hot” items like Nintendo Wii than is an external reference price—what everyone else is paying for the they should… product—and an internal reference price—what you think you should pay given your past experience and the buying situation. They want to purchase expensive perfume for gifts and Price is the most abstract of any of the four marketing mix for themselves rather than cheap perfume even though elements. It is a signal of product quality and status. It is inherently the cost of manufacturing is not much different… subjective and tied to consumer perceptions rather than objective reality.Dr. Paurav Shukla 1
  • 2. Marketing 7 8 Why focus on pricing? The market dynamics Price is determined by what the customer is willing to pay, pay not the cost to manufacture, distribute, and promote. The buying context • Buying situation • Differences in customers • Perceptions of customers Core dimension of the product • Level of involvement • Understanding of the product 9 10 Price and Perceived Value: The Economic Price and Perceived Value: The Economic Perspective Perspective Objective Value Perceived Marketing Benefits Efforts Perceived Value Objective Perception Perceived Willingness Price of Consumer’s Incentive to Purchase Price of Price Value to Buy Substitutes = [Perceived Value – Price] Product Price Perceived Costs Firm’s Incentive to Sell So, according to the economic perspective, consumers will purchase whenever = [Price – COGS] Cost of Goods Sold Perceived Value > 0 £0 11 12 The behavioural component Developing a pricing strategy Consumer Willingness Economic Utility Fairness of the to Buy = of the Transaction + Transaction 1. Relative Incentives Perceived Value – Actual Price Actual Price 2. Reference Prices Actual Price – Reference Price Perceived Value – Actual Price 3. Cost of Goods Sold Actual Price – COGS 4. Nature of the product discretionary vs. necessary luxury vs. utilitarian Doyle, P. (2002), Marketing management and strategy, Harlow: Prentice Hall.Dr. Paurav Shukla 2
  • 3. Marketing 13 14 Setting pricing policy Identification of price competitiveness 1. Selecting the pricing Identify the dimension of quality objective Weight quality dimension 2. Determining demand Measure competitors along dimensions Discover price quality preferences 3. Estimating costs 4. Analyzing competitors’ costs, prices, and offers 5. Selecting a pricing method 6. Selecting final price Kotler, P. (2003), Marketing management, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall 15 16 Setting pricing objectives Penetration vs. Skimming Survival Determinant Penetration Skimming Maximizing sales revenue Objective Long-run market share Short-run profit Maximizing profit Demand Price elastic Price inelastic Competition Deter new competitors Accept new competitors Maximizing growth (unit sales) Few barriers to entry High barriers to entry Market penetration Product Image seen unimportant Seeks prestige image Experience curve Long PLC Short PLC Market skimming Price Pressure for prices to fall Prices can be sustained Inelastic demand Promotion Customers understand product Unfamiliar product Unique and patented product Distribution Existing system Unfamiliar channels Uncertain product and marketing cost Production High scale economies Few scale economies Capacity constraints in production Finance High investment Low investment High perceived value Product quality leadership Doyle, P. (2002), Marketing management and strategy, Harlow: Prentice Hall. 17 18 Price-quality strategies Determine demand Price High Medium Low Each price the company might charge will lead to a different demand and will therefore have a different impact on its marketing objectives. High Premium High Super The demand curve shows the number of units the Product Quality Value Value Value market will buy in a given time period at alternative prices. In the normal case, demand and price are inversely Medium Med Overcharging Good-Value related, that is, the higher the price, the lower the Value demand. False Rip-Off Economy Low Economy Doyle, P. (2000), Value-based marketing: Marketing strategies for corporate growth and shareholder value, Chichester: Wiley.Dr. Paurav Shukla 3
  • 4. Marketing 19 20 Price elasticity and performance Factors affecting price sensitivity Unique value Substitute awareness Difficult comparison Total expenditure End benefit Shared cost Sunk investment Price quality Inventory 21 22 Methods of estimating demand Estimating & analyzing costs Lab test Field test (in store) Natural experiment Low Price Costs Competitors’ Customers’ High Price prices and assessment No possible prices of of unique No possible profit at substitutes product demand at this price features this price 23 24 Pricing Methods Promotional Pricing Markup Pricing Loss-leader pricing Largely used in SMEs Special-event pricing Unit cost = variable cost + (fixed cost/unit sales) Markup price = unit cost / (1 – desired return on sales) Cash rebates Target Return Pricing Low-interest financing Largely used in public sector Longer payment terms Target return price = unit cost + (desired return x invested Warranties & service contracts capital)/unit sales Psychological discounting The firm here should keep a clear focus on break even point Perceived Value Pricing Going-Rate Pricing Sealed-Bid PricingDr. Paurav Shukla 4
  • 5. Marketing 25 26 Selecting final price Price-Reaction Program Hold our price Influence of other marketing mix elements Has competitor No at present level; cut his price? continue to watch Company pricing policies competitor’s Impact of price on other parties Yes No No price Is the price Is it likely to be How much has likely to significantly Yes a price cut? permanent Yes his price been cut? hurt our sales? By less than 2% By 2-4% By more than 4% Include a Drop price by Drop price to cents-off coupon half of the competitor’s for the next competitor’s price purchase price cut Kotler, P. (2003), Marketing management, Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall 27 When your competitor delivers more for lessDr. Paurav Shukla 5

×