Italian cuisine Merit 12.a
- Prime example of the Mediterranean diet
- northern and southern Italian cuisines
- Northern: butter, cream, Mascarpone cheese, risotto and fresh egg pasta
- Southern: Mozzarella cheese (usually from buffalo), olive oil and dried pasta
- Dishes: appetizer (antipasto), first course (il primo), second course (il secondo), vegetables (la verdura), cheese (il formaggio), dessert (la fruta e il dolce), coffee (caffe)
- Served before main dishes
- Usually different sorts of meat, fish, cheese or vegetable and toast
First course ...
- Pasta or risotto, also soup
Second course ...
- Meat or fish, sometimes poultry
- Meat: calf cutlet, pork, lamb
- Fish: lobster, tuna-fish, sardine, cuttlefish(seepia)
- One one’s request also green salad or different kind of potatoes
- Truffle – in woods and meadow, expensive and hard to find
- Olives – 1/3 of production
- Lentiles – one of the oldest
- Served very simply - salad
- Served usually after the second course
- Made from cow, sheep and goat milk
- Rustical(talupoeglik) cheese, blue cheese, parmesan
- cheese, fantina (used in fondue)
- Special desserts are served with special events
- Tirami su – quite new, but already popular. Combination of espresso, liqueur and biscuit
- Espresso – italian coffee, that is made from dark coffee beans in espresso machine. It is an art to make good espresso.
- Thank you for listening!