Art Museum Of Estonia
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Art Museum Of Estonia

on

  • 1,415 views

 

Statistics

Views

Total Views
1,415
Views on SlideShare
1,414
Embed Views
1

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
13
Comments
0

1 Embed 1

http://www.slideshare.net 1

Accessibility

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

Art Museum Of Estonia Art Museum Of Estonia Presentation Transcript

  • Art Museum o f Estoni a Marin Meos 11.b
  • About the Museum
    • Art Museum of Estonia was founded on November 17th, 1919
    • At present there are five active branches of the Art Museum of Estonia
    • Kadriorg Art Museum (Kadriorg Palace and Mikkel Museum)
    • Niguliste Museum
    • Adamson-Eric Museum
    • Kristjan Raud House Museum
    • Kumu Art Museum (the new main building of the Art Museum of Estonia
  • Kadriorg palace
    • The Kadriorg palace and park were founded by the Russian czar Peter I
    • The park was named Kadriorg (Catherine’s Valley) after the empress Catherine I
    • From 1921 the Estonian Museum in Tallinn was situated in the palace
    • I n 1928 it was reorganized into the Art Museum of Estonia .
    • On July 22, 2000 the Kadriorg Art Museum , branch of the Art Museum of Estonia, was opened in the renovated palace
  •  
  •  
  • The St. Nicholas' Church
    • Its history goes back to the 13th century – it is assumed to have been founded around 1230 by German merchants (kaupmees)
    • T he ruined church was restored and inaugurated ( ametisse pühitse tud) in 1984
    • It is a museum-concert hall, where the collection of medieval art of the Art Museum of Estonia is exposed
    • A lso organ and choir music concerts can be enjoyed regularly.
  •  
  •  
  • Kristjan Raud House Museum
    • It was opened in 1984 in Nõmme, one of the most beautiful suburbs of Tallinn
    • The main exposition is dedicated to the life and work of the artist.
    • L iving-room and the studio, together with all his things and tools, have been restored in their original appearance.
    • On the ground floor biographical photos, letters and documents are being displayed. On the upper floor of the museum, small personal exhibitions of Estonian artists are arranged.
  •  
  •  
  • Kumu
    • For 75 years there have been tentative ( esialgne ) efforts to build a purpose-built museum for the Art Museum of Estonia (AME)
    • There have been several architectural competitions
    • In 1993–1994, an open international architectural competition was held .
    • The winner of the international architectural competition to design the building (1993–1994) was the Finnish architect Pekka Vapaavuori
    • Construction started in 2002.
    • The Kumu Art Museum was opened to the visitors in February 2006.
    • Location is on the limestone bank of Lasnamägi next to Kadriorg Park.
    • The building has seven floors
    • In 2004 the new museum got its name – Kumu – in an open competition. The Kumu (KUnstiMUuseum)
    • Art Museum is a modern multifunctional art building
    • Kumu is meant for different peopl e
  •  
  • What does Kumu contain?
    • Visitor service rooms 
    • S tarts in the lobby
    • It contains the visitor information and the Museum shop
    • This area can also be used outside of the museum’s business hours
  • Exhibition halls ( näitusesaal )
    • Exhibition halls that cover appr. 5,000 m 2 of the area of the building are equipped ( varustatud ) with modern lighting and sound technology.
    • Halls can be divided into separate parts which enables the organisation of independent exhibitions in the same space.
    • The temporary exhibitions hall can also be used for various other events as well as exhibitions.
    • The museum’s inner courtyard with its terraces, stairs and ramps can be used for art events and for the display of sculptures.
    • The facade of the building can be transformed into a large screen that displays video art.
  •  
  • Auditorium
    • Kumu auditorium consists of 246 seats .
    • This multipurpose hall can house art events, concerts, dance- and theatre performances, film-evenings as well as science and business conferences .
  • Education centre
    • Study rooms at Kumu Education Centre have been equipped with modern information
    • Visitors of all ages are welcomed to participate in the various educational activities the museum has to offer.
    • Those who participate in Kumu art education programmes learn under the guidance of professional artists and art teachers, and have the free use of different studios as well as the auditorium.
  • The Education Centre provides:
    • art education programmes for children, youth and adults based on Kumu exhibitions;
    • museum school: lectures, art studio, workshops, art clubs for children and adults;
    • art projects and exhibitions based on on-going projects in Kumu exhibition halls, studios, courtyard and elsewhere.
  •  
  •  
  • Library and archive
    • In addition to the museum’s own researchers, art teachers, students, artists and researchers from other museums, art collectors, restorers etc. can use the museum library.
    • From the beginning of 2006, the library provides access to appr. 33,000 books as well as to more than 10,000 archival documents.
    • The library also has an extensive ( laialdane ) collection of slides and photographs and a diversity of posters, videos and reproductions.
  • Collection depositories ( hoiuruum )
    • Depositories of the museum are meant for keeping the museum’s current and future collections that are not on display.
    • The location of the depositories in the basement of the building allows a good connection with exhibition halls, exhibition preparation rooms, loading facilities and restoration workshops.
    • Proper level of humidity ( niiskus ) and a temperature necessary for preservation of art works is permanently maintained in the depositories.
  • Restoration department ( taastamine )
    • Kumu has a restoration department ...
    • The spaces and equipment allow the restoration and preservation of the museum’s collections - paintings, graphical works and sculptures, as well as of polychrome wood and frames - on a high technical level, and also serve customers from outside of the museum.
    •  
  • Work spaces and workshops
    • This category covers the loading- and delivery facilities, special storage facilities, workshops, photography laboratories and other work spaces.
  • Offices
    • Offices provide the employees of the museum with a contemporary ( kaasaeg s e ) work- and leisure environment. In addition to other departments, also the finance-, development-, publishing- and communication departments of the Art Museum of Estonia are situated here.
  • Facts and figures
    • Area of plot 36 206 m²
    • Floors 2 + 5
    • Cubic capacity of the building 123 200 m³
    • Floor space of the building 20 970 m²
    • Number of parking spaces 107 + 6 bus spaces
    • Pedestrian tunnel 83 m
    • Exhibition halls 5000 m 2
    • Collection repositories 1700 m 2
    • Visitors service rooms 2500 m 2
    • Premises for the educational centre 260 m 2
  • Thanke You!