- founder of the Universal Negro Improvement Association & African
- Unique in advancing a Pan-African philosophy to inspire a global mass
movement focusing on Africans known as Garveyism
- He created his OWN ideology = Garveyism = an aspect of Black nationalism
- “Our union must know no climb, boundary or nationality…let us hold together
under all climbs and every country.”
- Poison rumours
- His influence can be seen on the Flag of Ghana (Black Star inspired by the
Black star line formed in honour of Garvey.)
- Mentioned in songs
- Rastafarians consider Garvey a religious prophet and even sometimes consider
him to be the reincarnation of St John the Baptist.
- Jamaica’s first national hero
- Streets named after him, parks, schools etc.