SustainabilityIs IT the Problem or the Solution? Joliene Garlich ● Clayton Sanford ● Melody Smith Jones
Sustainability: A Definition What is Sustainability?
Sustainability, in a broad sense, is the capacity to endure. For humans, it is the potential for long-term maintenance of wellbeing, which in turn depends on the wellbeing of the natural world and the responsible use of natural resources.
What does it have to do with Business, IT?
IT sustainability involves incorporating energy-efficient technologies and practices into everyday business tasks, and promoting effective recyclability and telecommuting strategies.
Why Sustainability? Government Initiatives
Define carbon footprint
Customer & shareholder desire for responsible leadership
Problems in Creating Technology Use of natural resources Clearing of land harming wildlife and trees Omission of Carbon Dioxide Buildings and Energy used in production
Problems with Using IT Energy consummation Pollutants used to create energy Harmful Electrical Signals Improper use
Problem with Disposing of Hardware Shortening lifespan
Demand for more powerful hardware
Donate to others that can benefit
New laws enforcing proper disposal
Toxins harmful to wildlife
Case of Indirect Effects Telecommuting
Inefficiencies of decentralized location
Larger homes, higher use of resources
More energy consumed taking care of lawn More electricity used More natural gas used to heat home
Is IT the Solution? Wait a minute…IT can deliver the TripleBottomLine of profit, human capital, and natural resources!
Decreasing Power Consumption IT can improve power management through simple measures, such as having lights or computers shut off automatically at set times, or setting room temperatures to an automated schedule, bringing significant savings. Sustainability Spotlight: Intel
Reducing Carbon Emissions IT contributes only 2% to global carbon emissions We can apply the 2% associated with computing technology to the other 98% Notable impact:
transportation and logistics
building construction and maintenance
online commerce and paperless billing
Transportation and Logistics Monitoring and controlingcorporate fleets Real time tracking of delivery routes using GPS Companies can save as much as 15% in fuel expenses by limiting the speed of their trucks to 62 mph. Sustainability Spotlight: UPS
Building Construction & Maintenance Largest contributing activity in carbon emissions - 47% of total carbon emissions Environmental issues should be taken into consideration at the earliest planning stages of a new office complex Sustainability Spotlight: Shanghai Tower
Online Commerce & Paperless Billing Eliminating paper bills cuts costs and eases strain on the environment Reduces logging, paper processing, and the fuel consumption Paper mail is bad for customer service Sustainability Spotlight: Con Edison
Data Integration Business intelligence has two main sustainability functions:
Provides useful, trusted, and timely informationfor sustainability initiatives
Reduces waste by optimizing data
Sustainability Spotlight: SAS
Applying Sustainability Practices
Best Practices Key steps to IT sustainability
Create a team
Put initiatives into action
Getting the CEO on board
A crucial step to success
Using IT as model
Move sustainability through the business
Some Green for Thought
Does your company have a formal strategy?
How important do you think sustainability will be to future company success?
How does sustainability tie into corporate governance?
Works Cited Georgetown University: IT and Sustainability at Georgetown Think Ecological: IT Sustainability Imperatives in Internet and eCommerce Business Intel: Building a Long Term Strategy for IT Sustainability Oracle: IT and Sustainability Bringing Best Practices to Business GreenBiz: Corporate Sustainability It’s All About Survival PriceWaterhouseCoopers: IT and Sustainability: Is IT part of the solution or part of the problem? Wikipedia: Sustainability Global Footprint Network: Carbon Footprint Information Management: Green Business Intelligence Andrey, Jean: The Sustainability of Telework: an Econological-Footprinting Approach TechRepublic: Common Sense about Green IT and Sustainability Nemertes Research: Green IT and Sustainability Accenture: Public Service Green IT Podcast Series Economist Intelligence Unit: IT and Sustainability: Bringing Best Practices to Business