DETERMINE YOUR PURPOSE AND SUBJECT
GROUP : IV
SRI MUTIARA PERMATA GUSVI
SEKOLAH TINGGI KEGURUAN DAN ILMU PENDIDIKAN YAYASAN DHARMA
LU BUK ALUNG
A. SELECTING SUBJECT
Once you clearly understand the general
purpose of your speech, you are ready to choose a
subject. Decision should be based on a number of
1. Is the subject suited to my purpose?
2. Is the subject interesting to me?
3. Am I qualified to speak on this subject?
4. Will my audience find this subject interesting?
5. Will my audience find this subject useful?
6. Is my subject sufficiently restricted?
1.Is the subject suited to my purpose?
Suppose you are asked to deliver a
speech whose general purpose is to
2.Is my subject interesting to me?
Whenever possible choose a subject you find
interesting . Enthusiasm is a key factor to
successful speaking. If you talk enthusiastically
about something , this enthusiasm is bound to
rub off on your audience
3. Am I qualified to speak on this
• If your interest is recent, you might lack
sufficient knowledge or experience to prepare
the subject effectively. In some cases it might
be better to select a subject with which you
are more familiar
4.Will my audience find this subject
An affective way to do this is to used attention
factors ; humor ,novelty suspense ,and the like
5.Will my audience find this subject useful?
• People will willingly pay attention to a
communication if they expect to gain
something useful from doing so.
6.Is my subject sufficiently restricted?
Many beginning speakers try to cover too much
in the time available to them. It is far better to
deal with a restricted subject in detail than to
cover too many points.
After you have chosen your subject in
accordance with the considerations
above, you are ready to formulate a specific
purpose. Earlier I classified the general
purposes for speaking : to entertain, to
inform; and persuade .
1. General purpose: to entertain
2. General purpose: to inform
3. General purpose: to persuade
THE CENTRAL IDEA
Central idea as a complete sentence will help
you plan your communication more