2. What Do You Do When…• You are have a research paper assignment on melanoma and you have no idea where to begin?• Your instructor wants you to find peer- reviewed articles?• You aren’t sure how to use your research?• You need to create a “works cited” page for your research paper?
7. Main Ideas, Key Words, Search Terms• Main Idea 1: Melanoma = Skin Cancer• Main Idea 2: Tanning• Broader Focus (Big Idea) – Not enough info! – Less specific: cancer• Narrower Focus (Detail) – Too much info! – Specific kinds of tanning: tanning beds, indoor tanning – Specific types of cancer: actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma
8. Another Way to Think of Broadening and Narrowing Focus Cancer Melanoma Basal Cell Carcinoma
15. Why Use Quotations & Citations?• SHOW where your information came from.• IMPRESS your instructor with your mad research skillz.• RESPECT the original author or creator of the data or research you are building off of.• ABIDE by our LLTC Academic Integrity policy and don’t get kicked out of college.• It’s the right thing to do.
16. What Does It Look Like IRL?• Direct Quotations (using someone else’s exact words) – Two dermatology doctors from Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan, determined: “Indoor tanning represents an avoidable risk factor for skin cancer, and education of the general public as well as the enactment and stricter enforcement of indoor tanning legislation are a public health imperative.” (Woo 61)
21. Got Style?• Types of Formatting Not that kind of style! – MLA (Arts & Humanities, like Anishinaabe Studies and English) – APA (Social Sciences) – CSE/CBE (Hard Sciences) – Ask your instructor what they want!
23. Entry on a MLA “Works Cited” PageWoo, Denise K., and Melody J. Eide. “Tanning Beds, Skin Cancer, and Vitamin D: An Examination of the Scientific Evidence and Public Health Implications.” Dermatologic Therapy 23 (2010): 61-71. Electronic. Accessed through EBSCO Host.
27. Professional Inspiration and Credit• http://ch-ch- chchanginglibrarian.blogspot.com/search/label/Jersey%20Shore• http://crln.acrl.org/content/72/2/78.fullMIIGWECH TO INSPIRING LIBRARYCOLLEAGUES AMY SPRINGER ANDKATHRYN YELINEK!