Medieval I strian tow ns Sights – a must to see! BY ETWINNING CROATIAN TEAM WITH LOVE
MOTOVUN Settlement in the central region of the Istrian Peninsula on the south side of the Mirna River Valley. Economy is based on agriculture, wine and ranching. The oldest core of the town is belted with well preserved city walls from the 13th and 14th century, and today serve as a promenade. Within the core are several Romantic and Gothic houses. The three sections of the town are connected with a system of external and internal fortifications with walls, towers and city gates. Situated on the main square is the Gothic-Romantic bell tower with scalloped parapet at the top (18/19th cent.) and the Renaissance palace- castle with adaptations from the 16-19th centuries. Beneath the main square is the public water reservoir, and stone plaque with city crest dating back to the 14-15th centuries.
ST. STJEPAN CHURCH The parish church, St. Stjepan (St. Steven), the construction of which began in the early 17th century carries late Renaissance markings. The painting of the Last Supper in the sanctuary is attributed to Stefano Celesti (17th cent.); the marble statues at the main altar are the work of Francesco Bonazza from 1725; the Baroque carved chair (17th cent.); ceiling painting were made by the neoclassicist Giuseppe Bernadino Bisson in the late 18th century; the organ is the work of Gaetana Callida (Venice, 18-19th cent.). Of the church inventory, the gilded movable altar with reliefs of the crucifixion and saints (14th cent.), the processional cross from the 14th century with ornamental handle from the 15th century, the chalice with enamel ornaments (15th cent.), the osculatorium (1606), the reliquary (17th cent.) and the candelabras (from 1714 and 1739) stand out in particular.
GROŽNJAN Settlement in the interior of Istria, 8 km southeast of Buje; situated on the northern plateau above the Mirna River Valley, at an altitude of 260m. Population 193. Within the revitalization project, Grožnjan in more recent history has been enriched with cultural activities (Summer Music School). It is connected to Buje with local roads. The medieval castle was the property of an Aquilean patriarch until 1358. To 1394, it was under Venetian ownership and became the center of the northern part of its territory in Istria. Preserved monuments include a portion of the defense system: the main city gates on the eastern side (15-16th cent.) and a part of the defensive wall, which was restored on two occasions (1360 and 1367). Near the gates on the interior side lies the Renaissance loggia (1587), above which was the wheat storage.
AND ALSOThe Baroque church St. Mary, St. Vid and Modesta from 1770 islocated on the main square. The separate bell tower is from the17th century. The church contains valuable Baroque choirbenches, an oil painting from the 17th century depicting St. Peterof Alcantara and the marble late Baroque altar. Before the citygates is the chapel of Sts. Cosmas and Damian, built in 1554 andadapted in 1834, and the chapel interior was painted by themodern Croatian artist Ivan Lovrenčić (1990). On the foothills ofthe town on the Mirna River, in a place called Bastia, the smallBaroque Church of the Merciful Mother of God was preserved.
HUM The western side of the town The painting above the is enclosed with a wing of altar is the work of B. city walls, while on the d’Anne. The church has a remaining three sides the late Gothic chalice and defense system consisted of ciborium from 1539. The the interconnected outer Romantic church St. walls of houses. Within the Jeronim, with its semicircle wall system, near to the city apse stands at the gates (1562) is the bell graveyard. The church tower (1552). The parish contains valuable wall church, with its classical paintings from the 12-13th façade, was built in 1802 in century. the same place as the church from 1609.
PAZINPazin is mentioned in a document of the Emperor OttoII, issued in Verona on 7 July 983, upon which basisthe castle came into the ownership of the Porečdiocese. In the 12th century, it was owned by the CountMajnhard, born in Crni Grad near Roč, the founder ofthe Poreč county. After the Majnhard family died out in1248, the castle passed into the hands of the counts ofGorica. In 1374, it was passed on to the Hapsburgsand given in feud to various families, the last of which(from 1766) was the Montecuccoli family. From 1825-1861, Pazin was the administrative center of the IstriaInterior. In 1899, the first Croatian secondary school inIstria was opened, which did much to contribute toCroatian culture and national awareness. During WorldWar II, it suffered significant damage from bombing(1943), and following the war, it was annexed toCroatia.