1. My Past, Present, and Future Mashup Melda M. Washington Information Culture, December 10, 2012
2. Overview Mashup: Frankenstein of the Web Immediate gratification:  Dopamine Squirters Information aesthetics  Where Data and Design meet Food?! Usability  Drupal 7 — A Usability Learning Experience Agility in a time of rapid change  The Power of the Swarm Database Programing  SELECT Future FROM UB_Students WHERE Name=Melda Washington AND Class=IDIA 620 AND Year=2020
3. Mashups: Frankenstein of theWeb A mashup is anything that results from a combination of data from different sources. Mashup website consists of several API’s Early days of mashups, programmers had to web scrape websites to obtain useful data. Today, companies allow mashup creators to utilize their APIs for their applications as a way of getting more exposure for their products; thus opening the gates for an increasing rate of mashup site
4. Dopamine Squirters Primary neurotransmitter found in the brain that is responsible for happiness and other emotions. Provides feelings of enjoyment and reinforcement that motivate a person proactively to ―feel good.‖ Provides immediate gratification Programmableweb lists 173 mashups tagged games.  Most poplar are FlickerSudoku and Wii Earth.  APIs used include: Flicker, MicrosoftBingMaps, GoogleMaps
5. My Past: Immediate gratification Stems from my past experiences with my mother Taught me how to sew Data:  Fabric  Notions (zippers, buttons, snaps, etc.)  Thread Processor:  Sewing machine  Hand Object:  Finished Garment
6. Where Data and Design meetFood?! The Open Data Cooking Workshop  Data Visualization that You Can Eat  Mashup of two topics, four ingredients and find relations.  The workshop researches ways to represent local data through the inherent qualities of food such as color, form, texture, smell, taste, nutrition, origin, etc. Tasty Tweets  A data visualization experiment that allows users to explore current twitter trends through taste.  Mashup using the Twitter API
7. My Past: Information Aesthetics Immediate gratification:  Dopamine Squirters Information aesthetics:  Where Data and Design meet Food?! Usability:  Drupal 7 A Usability Learning Experience Agility in a time of rapid change:  The Power of the Swarm Database Programing:  SELECT Future FROM UB_Students WHERE Name=Melda Washington AND Class=IDIA 620 AND Year=2020
8. Drupal 7 — A Usability LearningExperience Drupal 7 Usability Study at Google Eight tech-savvy Google employees for one hour usability sessions. Emotions Mashup of what rookie Drupal users feel…  confused and overwhelmed by Drupal’s presentation of features/options.  alienated by unexplained terminology throughout Drupal.  helpless because of a perceived lack of support.  in the dark about the extent of Drupal’s capabilities.  uncertain about his/her progress while performing tasks.  stupid because they assume they are using Drupal ―incorrectly.‖
9. My Present: Drupal UsabilityExperience Redesign and CMS implementation of its existing collections online search. The redesigned collections online infrastructure should improve the search site’s ease of use, provide, and allow users access to the most up-to-date content. Freer|Sackler migration from Classic ASP/Coldfusion to Drupal Integrate DAMS and IDS
10. The Power of the Swarm Kevin Kelly’s New Rules for the New Economy focus on quotes that address the swarm  The aim of swarm power is superior performance in a turbulent environment Digital Swarming  Defined as a mashup of people, data, objects, and machines  The Internet made collecting the wisdom of crowds much easier than before.  When the swarm is diverse, independent and decentralized, their combined decisions define the next big trend.  Prediction Markets  It addresses the need for agility in the face of rapid change
11. My Future: Remaining Agile Need to remain agile in a time of rapid technology changes  Keep current  Certifications  Continuing education  Stay diverse Embrace the Swarm  The competitive advantage belongs to those who learn how to embrace decentralized points of control.
12. My Future: SELECT Future FROM UB_StudentsWHERE Name=Melda Washington ANDClass=IDIA 620 AND Year=2020 Top 10 careers in 20201. Data crunching – tapping into vast databases to gather info and make sense of that information to gain insight.  Marketing and market research are two fields where the use of data is exploding. Characteristics of the DBA  Love Technology  Dependable  Like a Challenge  Realistic  Problem Solving  Flexible  Detail Oriented  Patient
13. My Future: DatabaseProgramming Analytical skills  Evaluate complex information that comes from a variety of sources. Communication skills  Communicate effectively with developers, managers, and others. Detail oriented  Understand complex systems. Minor errors can cause major problems. Logical thinking  Use software to analyze information. Arrange and organize it into meaningful information. Problem-solving skills  Able to diagnose and correct problems.