2. What do they do?• Check patients vital signs and explain about anesthesia•Work with patients, hypodermic needles, gas equipment, andintravenous, spinal, and other anesthetics•Watch the patient and make sure their blood pressure, pulse,skin color, and breathing are normal
3. Where do they work?• Hospitals (OR’s and neonatal units)• Surgical centers• Public health centers• Doctor’s offices
4. What are the hours of this job?• In 2010, about 20 percent of registered nurses worked part time.• Nurses who work in offices, schools, and other places that do not provide 24-hour care are more likely to work regular business hours.
5. What post high school training is necessary?• Minimum Education Required: 4-Year Degree (BSN- Bachelor of Science in Nursing)• Recommended Education: Graduate Work Recommended (CRNA- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist)• High School Courses: Nursing, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy & Physiology, Health, Foods & Nutrition, and Medical Office Practices in a college preparatory program
6. University of Iowa“The college’s innovative program combines in-depth learningwith extensive patient contact. We work in cooperation withthe University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics (UIHC) – one ofthe largest teaching and research hospitals in the country – toprovide excellent clinical experiences throughout your plan ofstudy.”
7. University of WisconsinThe School has an enrollment of more than 500 students; offering the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BS) and Master of Science in Nursing (MS).
8. TuitionUniversity of Iowa - Total Resident Tuition & Fees – for 12 hours: $5183.50University of Wisconsin - For 9-12 credit hours: $9,000- $12,000
9. What is the annual salary?Salary Range: $ 122,000 to $ 165,000 per year
10. What is the projected growth for this job in the future?• Projected growth per year - 2.2%• Average growth for all occupations - 1%• Number of new jobs per year - 58,400
11. Sources• Discover ACT• Occupational Outlook Survey• University of Iowa• University of Wisconsin• Registration at University of Wisconsin