1. Welcome to Discovery Land!! Lesson 19 March 4, 2007 Elisha Shows God’s Love Kim—Discovery Land Leader Discovery Land Kids
2. Story -- Elisha Shows God’s Love Elisha was out working hard in his father’s field when Elijah the prophet came by. Elijah came up and threw his cloak over Elisha. He did this to show that God had chosen Elisha to follow Elijah and learn from him. Elisha left home to learn from Elijah and help him. Years later God brought Elijah to heaven! Elisha was now the prophet of God
3. Elisha Shows God’s Love God gave Elisha power to do amazing things, even to help people who didn’t believe in or care about God. One man who didn’t care about God was the commander of the Aramean army (Israel’s enemy). This man, Naaman, got a terrible skin disease called leprosy. He tried everything he could think of to get rid of his disease. But nothing worked.
4. Elisha Shows God’s Love Living in Naaman’s house, however, was a girl who had been taken from Israel as a slave. Even though Naaman was really an enemy of her people, the slave girl helped him. She told Naaman’s wife that God’s prophet in Isreal could help her husband! So naaman traveled to Israel to see Elisha. Elisha sent a messenger to tell Naaman to go to the Jordan River and wash himself seven times.
5. Elisha Shows God’s Love Then he would be well. Naaman didn’t like this advice at first, but finally he did what Elisha said. And God made Naaman completely well.
6. Elisha Shows God’s Love Another time, the Arameans were at war with Israel. And God kept telling Elisha all of the Arameans’ battle plans! Finally, one officer told the king that Elisha the prophet was the one who was finding out all the king’s plans. So the king sent soldiers to CAPTURE Elisha.
7. Elisha Shows God’s Love When Elisha’s servant got up early the next morning, there were Aramean soldiers all around the city! Elisha’s servant was AFRAID! But Elisha knew God had armies of his own all around them! Elisha asked God to show his servant that the hills all around them were full of soldiers and horses and chariots of fire! God was ready to protect them!
8. Elisha Shows God’s Love As the enemy soldiers came to capture him, Elisha asked God to make them blind. Suddenly, they couldn’t see! Elisha told them that they weren’t on the right road to the right place. He invited them to follow him. What else could the soldiers do? The whole Aramean army followed Elisha—all the way into the Israelite city of Samaria!
9. Elisha Shows God’s Love Once the soldiers were inside the gates of the city the Lord took away their blindness. NOW the Arameans could see they were in TROUBLE—surronded by Israelites! The king of Israel thought this was the perfect time to get rid of the enemies. He wanted to kill the Aramean soldiers! But Elisha told the king God’s plan: to feed the soldiers and send them home.
10. Elisha Shows God’s Love So the people of Samaria prepared a big feast for the soldiers. When the soldiers were full, they were allowed to go home. And for a very long time, the Arameans didn’t bother the Israelites at all! Elisha had helped show God’s love and care for people who didn’t care about Him.
11. Worship Time!!! “We love because He first loved us.” 1 John 4:19 Who do you know that needs us to pray for them? Prayer and Lord’s Prayer Communion music Let’s thank God that He loves and cares about everyone—even people who don’t care abut Him
12. Verse 1: God’s love lives in me; God’s love lives in me. Now I can care for anyone in need, ‘cause God’s love lives in me. Verse 2: God’s power lives in me; God’s power lives in me. Now I can show God’s love in ev’ry deed, ‘Cause God’s power lives in me. Verse 3: God’s love lives in me; God’s love lives in me. Now I can show love in my family, ‘Cause God’s love lives in me. Verse 4: God’s power lives in me; God’s power lives in me. Now I have power to love my enemies, ‘Cause God’s love and power live in me.
13. Verse 1: Two thousand years ago, Jesus lived in the Middle East. His first job was a carpenter; Then He did a wonder at a wedding feast! Then He called His twelve disciples, “won’t you come follow Me? He was teaching crowds about God And making blind eyes see. Chorus: Jesus’ love is real; Jesus’ love is really real! It’s not a fairy tale. Jesus’ love is true; Jesus’ love is truly true! And if you know Him, you know that He loves you. Verse 2: Two thousand years ago, Jesus lived in the Middle East. He lived His life for God; And He gave His life for the very least. See in those days people left you out If you were sick or lame. But Jesus touched the sick and sad and made them whole again.
14. Verse 1: People waved palm branches one sunny day; People praised Jesus in many ways. Some sang songs, some clapped their hands, some shouted words of praise. Jesus rode in on a donkey, and Easter was on its way. Chorus: Easter means salvation, salvation means we win! Easter means salvation, salvation means Jesus died for our sins, He rose again, And we’ll live forever with Him! Verse 2: Jesus died on the cross one dark day. Jesus died for our sins; He is the way. He was buried, He came back to life—He rose from the grave! This is what we celebrate every Easter Day! CHORUS Verse 3: Jesus friends talked to Him on Easter Day; Jesus’ friends walked with Him and talked and prayed. Jesus went to heaven, sent His Spirit here to stay. We remember Jesus’ death and resurrection when we say: CHORUS
15. Object Talk – “We love because He first loved us.” 1 John 4:19 <ul><li>Write your name on your strip of paper. </li></ul><ul><li>Make a chain link by taping the ends of paper. </li></ul><ul><li>Think of a person you know that there name starts with the last letter in you name and write that persons name on the next paper. For example I’m Kim and my 2 nd link would be Megan. </li></ul><ul><li>Hook that paper to your first link to make a chain. </li></ul><ul><li>Repeat in the same way for the next person. </li></ul>
16. When our names are linked together in this chain, it reminds us that we can show God’s love to each other. What are some ways that God has shown His love to us? How has someone shown God’s love to you?
17. “ We love because He first loved us.” How can you show God’s love to others? When might it be difficult to show God’s love to someone?
18. Game Time!!!! Helping others is something we can do to show God’s love to others. Let’s play a game in which you have to help your partner.
19. What are some other games in which the players need to help their teammates? What are some ways in which others have helped you? What are some ways in which you can help someone younger than you? Older than you?
20. Art Center – Foil Scenes <ul><li>Roll twist and fold your foil to make people. </li></ul><ul><li>Make a scene on your paper of a way that you could help people. </li></ul>Open the eyes of my heart God of Wonders
21. What are some ways a person can show God’s love to someone else? Because God loves all people, He wants to help them. If a kid wants God’s help, what should he or she do?
22. God wants all of you to become His children. --John 1:12 Do you know why God wants you in His family? –1 John 4:8 We have all done wrong things.– Romans 3:23 The Bibles word for doing wrong is “sin.” What do you think should happen to us when we sin? –Romans 6:23
23. God loves you so much He sent His Son to die on the cross for your sins. Because Jesus never sinned, He is the only One who can take the punishment for your sins– 1 st Corinthians 15:3 and John 4:14 The Bible tells us that God raised Jesus from the dead and that He is alive forever!!! Are you sorry for your sin? Do you believe Jesus died to be your savior? If you do believe and you are sorry for your sin, God forgives all your sin –1 John 1:9