2. LESSON PLAN 3rd Grade Estimated Time: 1 hour & 30 minutes Objective: Students will be able to exhibit an understanding of power and how it affects their lives by assembling and illustrating a house that represents the power in their lives.
3. MATERIALS 2 pieces of construction paper of any color (can be different colors) Glue bottle Scissors Ruler Pencil Markers Colored pencils
4. “Buy me, I’ll change your life”INSPIRED RESOURCES Hansel and Gretel Artist, Barbara Kruger “SpongeBob SquarePants”VOCABULARY Power Compare Contrast
5. PROCEDURES Guided Activity Whole class discussion on power in our lives Create a visual chart with students’ ideas
6. ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS Did Hansel and Gretel gain, lose, or both gain and lose power throughout the fairy tale? Are there any temptations in your life that affect or alter your actions or thoughts? What can you currently control in your life? What are things that you have no control over? Are there people that have power over you?
7. ART PROJECT
8. FINAL PROJECT
9. EVALUATION Informal Ask questions to see if the students have an understanding of the content throughout the guided activities As a class, make a chart/graphic organizer about power Monitor the students’ art projects to ensure that their drawings and illustrations represent the content and art skills Formal Rubric
10. EXTENSIONS & MODIFICATIONS Extensions: Could have the students share their houses, then put them together into a “neighborhood”. Creates a classroom identity and community Modifications: Have everything cut out and glued before
11. WORKS CITED Barbara Kruger: “Buy me, I’ll change your life” http://www.wdog.com/rider/writings/real_kruger.htm “SpongeBob SquarePants” video clips http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/the-inside-job-clip.html http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/clash-of-triton.html http://spongebob.nick.com/videos/clip/pat-no-pay-clip.html