Why Use Instagram for Marketing?
• Increasing use of this visual social media platform
• Allows you to show, not just tell, about products
• Stay on top of the customer’s mind
• Develop your company brand
How to Successfully Sell on Instagram?
4 Step Process
• Establish Instagram Relationship (Get followers)
• Consistent Branding
• The Click Through
• The Sale
Step 1: Instagram Relationships
• Gain Followers and Establish Relationships
• Reply to comments left on your images
• Like images followers/others post
• Leave comments on images that exemplify your brand
• Other Techniques
• Repost images of followers (with their permission) to gain access to
their fans. Many times users will share they have been featured.
• Have a follower “takeover” where you post images from a follower
all day. Ask them to announce it to their followers.
• Hold a contest asking Instagrammers to post a picture representing
your brand using specific hashtag.
Step 2: Consistent Branding
• Regularly share images
• Use a consistent style for images
• Occasionally promote
• Repeat, Repeat, Repeat
• Have patience
Step 3: The Click Through
On Promotional Images:
• Include a call to action
• Create a sense of urgency
• Include a link to where you want followers to
go (text version, Instagram does not host live
links except in bio)
• See a great example of a subtle, yet
successful call to action
Step 4: The Sale
On Your Website
• Offer products/services in multiple price ranges
• More consistent branding
• Deepen the relationship: email subscription, other
social platforms, etc.
To Read a More Detailed Strategy
4 Steps to Getting Sales
Megan Corwin, Internet Marketing Strategist
Visual Content Lab, Columbus OH