1.  The ILO was established as an autonomous organization associated with the League of Nations Its first assembly took place in Washington on April 29,1919. There were 45 states (members). The founding fathers of the ILO had made great development in social thought and action before 1919.
2.  The ILO is tripartite org consisted of representatives of Govt., employers & workers of member countries in the ratio of 2:1:1. A. Intnal labor conference(meeting held once in a yr &policy formulation organ, consisted of 4 delegates. B. Govering body(chief org body consisted of 40 members). C. Intnal labor officer(secretariat services to aboveorgans in Geneva .
3.  The ILO has a tripartite structure in which the “social partners” – governments, employers and workers – shape the policies and programmes of the organization The ILO promotes “social dialogue” between the partners on social and economic issues 3
4.  Full employment and raising of standards of living The extension of social security measures to provide a basic income to all in need of such protection and comprehensive medical care Adequate protection for the life and health of workers in all occupation Provision for child welfare and maternity protection CONTD
5.  The provision of adequate nutrition, housing and facilities for creation and culture The assurance of quality of educational and vocational opportunity
6.  Workmen’s compensation Sickness insurance Invalidity, old age and survivors’ insurance Unemployment provision
7.  Maternity protection Night work Employment in unhealthy processes Equal pay
8.  Creation of international standards of labour Employment promotion Collection & distribution of information and publication Research and studies Improvement of working conditions and working environment Development of social institutions Other activities
9.  Hours of work Weekly rest Holidays with pay Wages