2. What is Multiplex?• Multiple screen movie theatre complex• Abroad, a Multiplex has around 12-16 screens• Megaplex has 14-20 screens
3. About Multiplex and Megaplex• 1979 - The world’s first multiplex was the 18-screen movie theatre complex ‘Eaton Center’ in Toronto, Canada.• It is considered as a forerunner of the current day’s Megaplex.• It was recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records.
4. Cont’d…• 1988 - The world’s first modern day Megaplex is ‘Kinepolis’ in Brussels, Belgium opened with 25 screens.• 1995 – AMC Grand 24 is the first Megaplex in the US opened with 24 screens.• 1988 – Studio 28 reopened with 20 screens with a seating capacity of 6,000.
5. KinepolisAMC Grand 25, Times Square,New York
6. Emergence and Growth of Multiplexes in India• Cinema halls in India were traditionally single screen halls• Customers come during festive season and on weekends.• India has the world’s largest film industry• From the mid-nineties, when multiplexes entered the Indian entertainment industry there has been a steady rise in their growth and revenues.
7. Cont’d…• Today entertainment industry concentrate on multiplexes as they generate a larger share of revenue with less number of seats per theater.• 1997 - ‘Anupam PVR’ in New Delhi is India’s first multiplex.• The emergence of new multiplexes has reduced the audience for traditional cinemas, thereby prompting some of them to transform themselves into multiplexes.
8. Cont’d… In 2002, only 0.8% of the country’s 11,000 screens were in multiplexes. For a movie producers, recovery of production costs is taken in few weeks/days. Time Warner, the entertainment giant is in talks with Indian real estate developers for setting up several multiplexes in the country.
9. Current Players in the market
10. • PVR (PVR – Priya Village Roadshow)Cinemas is the pioneer of multiplex cinemas in India which holds commanding position in this industry.• PVR has 89 screens all over the country• Has the largest multiplex in Bangalore with 11 screens.• PVR is India’s leading cinema chain.
11. Cont’d…• It has notable ‘firsts’ to its credit, viz. – 1st to receive institutional funding in movie industry – 1st to introduce real-time movie ticketing – 1st in cross location sales – 1st ATM movie ticket kiosk• PVR has dedicated efforts towards CSR
12. • INOX is currently present in 22 locations across India.• All INOX multiplexes have 2-5 screens each with contemporary technological options.
13. • Cinemax of Kanakia Group Company currently has 51 screens at various locations in Indian and is planning 400 more.• Cinemax has continually strived to give the best experience to customers by adopting to the latest technology.• Specialties include recliner seats, massage chairs, anytime ticket machines, expensive interiors and luxury at the beck and call of customers
14. Marketing Mix and Marketing Strategies• Movies are considered just a part of the entertainment or outing for the family• Today, a complete family outing include – movies, shopping, eating out, gaming parlors, buying books and groceries, etc.• Multiplexes, together with shopping malls are striving to provide all these facilities at one place and have been quite successful in doing so.
15. Cont’d… An ideal multiplex mall would have a minimum of 4-5 floors with various leisure and recreation options for customers. Multiplexes do not allow outside food and beverages into the movie theaters. This increases sale of their own products which are sold at a premium.
16. Cont’d… The movie ticket prices vary widely between weekdays and weekends, and also at different times of the day. Multiplexes provide the options of corporate booking, online booking and anytime ticket kiosks.
17. Future of multiplexes in India• Industry watchers observe that multiplexes often fall short of being profitable since average occupancy levels are roughly about 40% only.• Multiplexes are crowded mainly during weekends, holidays and festival seasons
18. Cont’d…• This situation is riskier for IMAX screens which have limited number of takers.• Universal Pictures, Warner Bros., and Digital Cinema Implementation Partners – are reportedly working on a system for delivering pictures through satellite downloads via broadband.
19. THANK YOU By – Divya P. (10) Meenakshi C. (18) Shagufta J. (34)Src. – RetailBiz