Leadership is a function of knowing
yourself, having a vision that is well
communicated, building trust among
colleagues, and taking effective action to
realize your own leadership potential."
Prof. Warren Bennis
Types of Leadership
1. Self Leadership
2. Team Leadership
3. Leadership through exchange
• Listen to other’s opinion.
• Consider other’s suggestions.
• Include every member in everything.
• Encourage and motivate the team.
• Having a vision.
• Determine a goal.
• Tracking of performance and results.
• Having milestones.
YOU CANNOT LEAD OTHERS
UNLESS YOU LEAD YOURSELF
Free Rein Paternalistic
• Leader makes decisions without
reference to anyone else.
• Controls team discussion.
• Dominates interaction
• Independently sets rules and
• Individually directs the completion
• Poor listener
• Distribute responsibility
• Encourages decision making
from different perspectives.
• Empower group members to improve
• May help motivation and
• Good listener.
• Improves the sharing of ideas
and experiences within the team.
• Team members have all the rights and power to make
• Responsibilities are shared on everybody.
• Leaders provide the tools and resources needed for the
members to operate.
• Group members are expected to solve problems on their own.
• The team get very little guidance from leader.
• Leader acts as a ‘father figure’ for the team.
• Leader is responsible of taking care of the team.
• Paternalistic leader makes decision but may consult
• Believes in the need to support staff
• Team follows any instruction given by the leader.