View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Culture, Cooperation and Economics
Medialab, May 26th 2009
Multidisciplinary approach of human behavior
Moral Sentiments and Economic incentives
How do cooperative values interact with the economy ?
• Trust/Cooperation Economy-Happiness / Institutions
• Economy and Institutions Trust/Cooperation
• Bridge the gap in social sciences
- Other social sciences: link between trust, economy and institutions
- Economics: incentives for given self-interested preferences
• Integrative framework
- Theory: internalization of cooperative values with economic incentives
- Empirics: Quantitative data and Experimental approach
Cooperative values and Economic attitudes on the Web
Social reality mining on the web
• Traditional data collection: one-time, static, separation micro-macro
• New datascape on the web
Large-scale quantitative data on cooperative values and behavior;
Extended period of time; Micro/Macro, Individuals/groups
Data are dispersed and noisy. Privacy: collection by private firms
Research center on the cyberspace
• MediaLab-Sciences Po: Multi-disciplinary laboratory (researchers, web engineers…)
Develop cognitive tools: computational social science
Cyber Research center on
• ERC cooperative values and economic attitudes
Public observatory on social and economic cooperation
Picture in continuous time for academic society, civil society, policies
Financial Crisis ? Public observatory on
cooperative values and economic attitudes
Queries Call for Regulation ?
Social forums Data Collection Tools :
-Web Crawler, Sociometers
- On-line surveys
Trust Business ?
Trust Unions ?
Natural experiment to measure effect of trust on economic behavior
• Online Market activities :
Ebay, online credit, professional networks: digital traces, surveys..
• Online Non-Market activities :
Emergence of social production : open software, wikipedia…
Effect of economic policies on pro-social attitudes
How do we build up pro-social behavior?
Other social sciences: equality, diversity, civil society…
Experimental protocol: randomized trials
Randomized assignment of policies between control and treated groups
to control for selection bias
Effect of policies on cooperation within organizations
• Target policies between different divisions:
Income equality, Team-based pay, Diversity gender-minorities
• Experimental measures: Trust games, Implicit Association Tasks…
PI Sciences Po Private sector (Schlumberger …)
ERC Policies, Sociology Organization
+ Poverty Action Lab (MIT) Public sphere
Civil society, Public policies