Culture, Cooperation and Economics
Medialab, May 26th 2009
Multidisciplinary approach of human behavior
Moral Sentiments and Economic incentives
How do cooperative values interact with the economy ?
• Trust/Cooperation Economy-Happiness / Institutions
• Economy and Institutions Trust/Cooperation
• Bridge the gap in social sciences
- Other social sciences: link between trust, economy and institutions
- Economics: incentives for given self-interested preferences
• Integrative framework
- Theory: internalization of cooperative values with economic incentives
- Empirics: Quantitative data and Experimental approach
Cooperative values and Economic attitudes on the Web
Social reality mining on the web
• Traditional data collection: one-time, static, separation micro-macro
• New datascape on the web
Large-scale quantitative data on cooperative values and behavior;
Extended period of time; Micro/Macro, Individuals/groups
Data are dispersed and noisy. Privacy: collection by private firms
Research center on the cyberspace
• MediaLab-Sciences Po: Multi-disciplinary laboratory (researchers, web engineers…)
Develop cognitive tools: computational social science
Cyber Research center on
• ERC cooperative values and economic attitudes
Public observatory on social and economic cooperation
Picture in continuous time for academic society, civil society, policies
Financial Crisis ? Public observatory on
cooperative values and economic attitudes
Queries Call for Regulation ?
Social forums Data Collection Tools :
-Web Crawler, Sociometers
- On-line surveys
Trust Business ?
Trust Unions ?
Natural experiment to measure effect of trust on economic behavior
• Online Market activities :
Ebay, online credit, professional networks: digital traces, surveys..
• Online Non-Market activities :
Emergence of social production : open software, wikipedia…
Effect of economic policies on pro-social attitudes
How do we build up pro-social behavior?
Other social sciences: equality, diversity, civil society…
Experimental protocol: randomized trials
Randomized assignment of policies between control and treated groups
to control for selection bias
Effect of policies on cooperation within organizations
• Target policies between different divisions:
Income equality, Team-based pay, Diversity gender-minorities
• Experimental measures: Trust games, Implicit Association Tasks…
PI Sciences Po Private sector (Schlumberger …)
ERC Policies, Sociology Organization
+ Poverty Action Lab (MIT) Public sphere
Civil society, Public policies
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.