1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? (i.e. of film openings) In the opening of our film we used certain conventions in our film such as black and white to show the cctv, we also used vehicles that also follows the conventions of an action thriller. We challenge the action thriller genre by including a ‘gangster’ type character in the opening this is unorthodox to this genre and is mainly suited for a gangster genre.
2. How does your media product represent particular social groups ? The actor Josh Tomlinson is very similar to the actor Matt Damon. They both have similar roles in the films they do, similar appearance and similar style. Both actors have a similar appearance, strong tough looking, and not afraid to get hurt. they wear the same type of clothes as there roles in their films, tight T-shirts and rugged clothes. these characters in films are made so the audience is almost scared of them, but at the same time looks up to them and likes them as a characters. In action thriller movies, these characters are usually the main characters in the film, these characters are very popular to the audience. These characters also have similar roles in the films they both do. The action tough guy. These films and these characters are very popular and have a very wide and broad target audience from teenagers to retired people. But also the characters have their differences, like with their age, Matt Damon is obviously a lot older and that gives the film that he’s in for example the 'Bourne Identity' more realism, which is different for Josh Tomlinson as he is a teenager. Another thing that is different is that his background his different, Matt Damon he’s been brought up in America so his upbringing will be not the same as josh Tomlinson. Physical build is another where they are different, Matt Damon is a lot taller than Joshua Tomlinson , and has a stereotypical action mans build. In conclusion, Matt Damon and Josh Tomlinson are similar in some ways but different in others. I think josh Tomlinson made a convincing action man just like at likes of Matt Damon.
3. What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why? A production company is responsible for the physical production of new media and TV programmes. The companies are usually responsible for raising some of the funds, a film distributor is an independent company, a subsidiary company or just an individual company, some examples of the companies are; 20th century fox film co. Ltd, Sony picture releasings and Universal picture UK. Film distribution is the final act between a film production company and a film exhibitor. Our film would be in a medium price range, with no famous actors, the only cost would be toward weapons and special effects like explosions. In our film we only included titles like actors and directors, and editors, we feel we needed to mention costume designers and producers. The most successful low budget film was, “Blair witch project” which cost $22,000 to make yet it grossed $248 million. Our film is low budget therefore these are similar.
4. Who would be the audience for your media product? In this question I will be answering who would watch our media film, and why.
Personality The type of person that would enjoy our film would be out going, confident, maybe adrenaline junkies. Because the film is an action thriller it makes the people most likely to watch it are the people that enjoy doing those kind of lively activities. The people mostly watching the film would be from teenage to adult men.
The Type Of TV/Films They Would Watch The audience that will watch our film would be into action / thrillers. In our film we followed the typical action thriller film/TV program, for example xXxthis film has a different plot to us but we took a lot of aspects from it such as the use of vehicles, it also made an impact on what actions we used. Prison Break is also another action/thriller that we looked into great detail and we believe that the audience would watch this because it has tense moments where you don’t know what will happen and we tried to emulate that effect.
Music Taste The music that the audience would listen to would be such things like rock/hip hop this is because these types of music. This may be such artist as Xzibit, Kings of Leon, Feeder, and Fort Minor.This kind of music maybe liked because its loud, and fast paced for adrenaline seekers that like to watch action thrillers. These types of music are also included in action thrillers. We took the heavy beats from this type of music and put it in our film, we used a fast paced and a heavy beat. This also shows the heart beat of the man with the package.
Why They Would Watch People would watch our film because it contains all the things that an action thriller needs to have, such as a good soundtrack that fits into the genre and the tastes of the audience. We also used factors from other action thriller films and TV programs, taking different techniques on how to do different things for example camera angles, the use of vehicles, and making shots match up correctly. Overall we made our film fit the personality of the target audience so that it becomes more popular, and makes the film look better and more realistic and professional.
5. How did you attract/address your audience? Video on blog
6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product? I have learnt that to film a steady shot a tripod is needed, tripods are good as they are balanced by 3 prongs. Tripods also can be extended to make a high angle shot or lowered to create low angle shots. The camera’s we used was a school , I've learnt they can do a variety of things, e.g. Zoom in and out, fade in and out, the only problem our group found was that they find it difficult coping with light either if its too bright it will go blurry, if its too dark then we can’t see anything. The computers we editing on were Apple Mac’s. Using a programme called iMovie, we could then cut down clips, add effects like earthquake or black and white (which we both used), and titles for the actors and film. Using a programme called garage band which is also on the Mac’s we could then create a sound track, background tune, or even just a sound to build tension. The last piece of equipment we learned to use was the transfer cables, this cable transfers whatever is on the camera on to the Mac’s to be edited on iMovie.
7. Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product? Looking at back at the preliminary I've learnt that trying to use the tripod at all times really does make it look more stable and professional, in our coursework we had no face to face conversation, but during the phone call we managed to get the short conversation running smoothly taking it in turn to speak and when they did we changed the camera to the speaker. During our coursework the 180 degree rule was not needed therefore it wasn’t used, had we have had a face to face conversation we would put it in. We have learnt that clip’s can never be too long, so we had to edit to cut down. During the filming of the preliminary we could never find the right music on garage band, for our practical we tried a lot harder and found a suitable soundtrack, this shows trying and using effort will be rewarded.