View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
“It was empowering to be in control of something so
innovative. I almost felt like I was part of making
“This exercise was my favorite because we were actually
able to make a product that we could touch and hold.”—
“It allows consumers to be creators rather than buyers. I
think this is one of the coolest aspects of 3D printing
because we no longer have to rely on corporations for all
of our needs.”—Mike
“There was a feeling of accomplishment and pride that came
with making the cookie cutter.”—Rachel
Definition: Learning by Making
“Learning by making involves an interactive
and hands-on process in which students
learn through the design and creation of new
objects.”—Rindfleisch & Sachdev 2013
Identify a market need
Design a new product
Upload on Thingiverse
Market via Kickstarter, Ponoko, or Shapeways
1. Most students still haven’t heard of
2. Less than 1% have ever seen a 3D
printer in operation.
3. Even fewer have the skills to create
their own designs.
4. Few schools offer hands-on 3D
An Easy Question
“If you could buy anything,
what would you buy?”
“If you could make
anything, what would you
1. Access to 3D printers is rapidly
expanding outside of academia.
2. 3D design software is quickly
becoming more accessible.
3. Contact with 3D printing is highly
engaging and often addicting.
Engage with MakerLab
1. Corporate sponsorship opportunities
2. Faculty & student research projects
3. Students available for jobs & internships
4. 3D design & printing services
5. Guest speaker opportunities