Assignment #13 (p1): Group Ancillary Research And Analysis
Assignment 13 :Group Ancillary Research & Analysis Group Work Kaya Sumbland Gledis Dedaj Rahel Fasil Joanne Aroda
Chosen Level …Some Could – At least three newspapers or more each.
What Kind of Things Are In The Newspaper• The ‘ London Evening Standard’ has ...• More news than the ‘Metro’• Less advertisements• Business• Economics• TV Listings• Ticket bookings• Sports
How Is The Newspaper Organised/Structured The ‘London Evening Standard’ has different sections ...• News • Business• Londoner’s Diary (News, • Television & Radio International, Featured,)• Home & Property (News, • Games & Puzzles New Homes, Affordable • Letters homes, Holiday Homes, Design, Reader Promotion, • Travel Architecture, Outdoors, Our • Sports Home, Property Searching, Ask The Expert ...)• London Life
How Much Advertising is in it ? • ‘London Evening Standard’ London Evening is a News centred paper Standard • Their are some ad’s but way more less in comparison to the content of News London Evening • This newspaper is closer but Standard still below high-end Ads newspaper i.e. ‘The Guardian (business magazine)
What Do They Advertise – ‘London Evening Standard’• They tend to advertise... • They advertise more• O2 offers expensive products of• Rolex watches which some working• T-mobile offers class and upper-class• Jewellery people may be• John Lewis interested in buying• Skin care products• M&S
Who Is The Target Audience – ‘London Evening Standard’• The ‘London Evening Standard’ has a high reading age of 14 as it has more complex words to suite to the working class and upper-class• Its aimed also at early morning commuters to get their daily fix on current affairs on the move• This morning period is busy and more papers will be taken than the lunch and evening rush
Where Is It Available? – ‘London Evening Standard’• The ‘London Evening Standard’ is also available at most if not all London over and underground train stations• They can also be found on some busses• This newspaper is free
These are the costs forhalf or a full page in thenewspaper
What kinds of things are in ‘The Sun’? • Humorous headlines • Page 3 Nude shots • Weather • ‘Jane Moor’ section • TV Magazine • ‘Dear Deidre’ section • ‘Woman’ section • Puzzles
How is ‘The Sun’ Organised/Structured?Front page important big news Weather forecast Jane Moor article Middle TV gossip TV guide Sports at the back
How much Advertising is in ‘The Sun’? There is about 45% advertising throughout thenewspaper as it features on every page in various sizes. Also nearer the end of the paper there is a double page dedicated for many small adverts
What do ‘The Sun’ advertise? • Theme parks • Supermarkets • Movies • Technology • Holidays • Adult hotlines • Elderly Mobility
Who is the Target Audience?• There main audience would be generally from ages 19 up to 49 as they have most buying power.• However, because of their adult themes possibly for those older more in the 30’s.• Being only 40p and the language and the reading age of 8 I would assume its for the lower working class. Also emphasised from the low price/ sale adverts.
Where is ‘The Sun’ available?UK Poland Scotland Ireland
Size and Cost of Adverts in ‘The Sun’ I could not find the cost
What kinds of things are in ‘The Guardian’? • Top News • International News • National New • Autumn Statement • Egypt News • Jeremy Heywood • Finance • Obituaries • Technology • Reviews • Letters and Emails • Sports – cricket, football
How is ‘The Guardian’ Organised/Structured?Top News International/National News Autumn Statements Finance Obituaries Sport
How much Advertising is in ‘The Guardian’?There is about 50% advertising throughout the newspaper as it heavily features adverts in the beginning, but decreases nearer the end.Also, as it is near Christmas time, adverts are always very prominent
Who is the Target Audience?• Men in their 30’s – 60’s in business• Its £1.20 so people with well-off buying power• Articles are long and detailed so those educated• Further articles are on finance and middle class pop culture – esp. cricket so it would be middle classes
Where is ‘The Guardian’ available?The Guardian Manchester(only until 1959’) UK Guardian America – Only Online
Size and Cost of Adverts in ‘The Guardian’ I could not find the cost
What kinds of things are in ‘Metro’? • Top/Shocking news • Weather and forecast • ‘Talk’ news • ‘Guilty pleasure’ news • Ents & Tech • Horoscope & Puzzles • ‘Business’ news • Sports Sections
How is ‘Metro’ Organised/Structured?Top important news Weather forecast Middle – Guilty pleasure Fashion Puzzles and horoscope Back - sport
How much Advertising is in ‘Metro’?There is about 65% advertising throughout the newspaper as it almost features of every page in various sizes.Also because the newspaper is free they’re fundingis provided by the advertisers, so its only natural it features largely throughout.
What do ‘Metro’ advertise? • Cosmetics • Supermarkets • Technology • Clothing brands • Jobs • Websites • Furniture
Who is the Target Audience?• The metro is free provided by transport.• Therefore their target audience will be people who go work early in the morning (when the papers usually taken by) on the train mainly.• Many articles are based on technology – esp, in the ents & tech sections Supported by formal language Thus target audience is possibly middle class adults
Where is ‘Metro’ available?• On all trains• BussesIn the… UKBecause, it is the only city with an underground –as is a busy city whereby so many people will readit massively.
Size and Cost of Adverts in ‘Metro’ I could not find the cost
1. What kind of things are in the newspaper?• Business• Sport• Travel• Politics• News• Culture• Style• Driving
2. How is the newspaper organised/structured?• Headline News• Money• Business• Sport• Travel• Culture
3. How much advertising is in it?There is around 20% worth of advertising in the newspaper. There are a few double page spreads filled with classified adverts
4. What do they advertise? The Times advertise both products and services.Travel Insurance EducationLifestyle, Culture, Travel Tuition packages etcetc
5. Who is the target audience?• Middle class• Mainly males• 30-50 year old males• Interests: sport, business, lifestyle etc
6. Where is it available?• All newsagents• Online at www.thetimes.co.uk The newspaper can be read online if subscriptions are made for a small fee.
7. Size of the advertsHere is the information available..
8. Cost of the advertsA simple website and A text box that can have atelephone number in this paragraph including astyle of writing. Pricing telephone number andstarts at £24.30 website address. The pricing starts at £168.48
1. What kind of things are in the newspaper?• TV Guide• Showbiz News• Worldwide News• Politics• Sport• Travel• Lifestyle
2. How is the newspaper organised/structured?• Sport• TV & Showbiz• Health• Science• Finance• Travel• Columnists
2. How much advertising is in it?There is around 30% of advertising in the newspaper.• In most pages of the newspaper there are a few features.• The last pages of the newspaper have double page spreads for smaller adverts.
4. What do they advertise? The Daily Mail mainly advertise both products and services but mainly products e.g. Slings, glasses, furniture, collectibles etc
5. Who is the target audience?• 18-50 year olds• Both genders but mainly females• Lower middle class
6. Where is it available?• All newsagents in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales• Articles are available on www.dailymail.co.uk
7. Size of the adverts Slightly smaller adverts mainly used for promoting new websites etc Medium sized adverts mainly used for recruitment purposes etc
Slightly larger adverts to beused for promotingagencies etc A full page advert to advertise products/services etc
8. Cost of the advertsAdverts arepriceddifferentlyeach day ofthe week