My name is Ryoko Yokoyama from MEASURE Evaluation, JSI. What I am going to talk about now is the application of what Dr. Anwer just presented on PRISM. I would like to share with you our experience of using PRISM to assess the condition of HMIS, special attention to the HIV/AIDS information system in Yunnan and Guangxi provinces that are heavily affected by HIV/AIDS. What we found out through our assessment is that the result from Yunnan and Guangix are very similar and we believe that these results are more or less representing the HMIS system of China. This is not a surprise in the country where there is a strong, centralized information system which is followed by strict order and procedure. Therefore I will use Yunnan assessment result as for this presentation. My colleagues Dr. Anwer Aqil, Dr. Theo Lippavel and Ms. LyuYao-who is here today from China have been involved in this assessment.
1. China: Baseline HMIS Assessment Results ~ Experiences from Yunnan and Guangxi ~ MEASURE Evaluation Symposium February 20 th 2008 Ryoko Yokoyama, MHS Health Information System Specialist
2. Objectives <ul><li>To estimate the level of HMIS performance using PRISM assessment tools </li></ul><ul><li>To assess the behavioral, technical and organizational determinants affecting HMIS performance </li></ul><ul><li>To build capacity to conduct performance review </li></ul><ul><li>To develop recommendation on interventions </li></ul>
3. Methodology <ul><li>Period: July-August 07 </li></ul><ul><li>Methodology: Lot Quality Assurance Sampling (LQAS) </li></ul><ul><li>Random Sample : </li></ul><ul><li>8 prefectures (2 countries/prefecture) = 16 counties </li></ul><ul><li>Sample Size: </li></ul><ul><li>160 facilities and 314 persons interviewed </li></ul><ul><li>32 county offices (CDC, Health Bureau, HIV/AIDS related Department) and 64 persons interviewed </li></ul>
8. HIV Information Systems are Highly Fragmented Facility Disease Surveillance MMT ART VCT Needle exchange MCH EPI County MCH hospital HB Disease Surveilance VCT ART County CDC MMT N.Ex EPI Prefecture MCH hospital HB Prefecture CDC Province MCH hospital HB Province CDC National MCH hospital HB Disease Surveilance VCT ART National CDC MMT N.Ex EPI
9. Interventions and Next Step <ul><li>Improved skills for data analysis, interpretation, use of information, problem solving, and performance tools . </li></ul><ul><li>Improve feedback/supervision system </li></ul><ul><li>Improve sharing of success stories on the use of information (promote culture of information) </li></ul><ul><li>Include HIV/AIDS information systems as part of the Strategic Management and M&E Framework </li></ul><ul><li>Next Step </li></ul><ul><li>August 08 Follow up survey </li></ul><ul><li>Expanded intervention </li></ul>