• The student will understand and apply knowledge of the sounds of the
English language, the sound-symbol relationship, and word recognition
strategies to read grade level materials with accuracy and emerging fluency.
• The student will use a variety of strategies to develop and expand reading,
listening, and speaking vocabularies.
• The student will use letter sounds, word patterns, and parts of simple
compound words to decode unfamiliar words when reading.
• The student will read aloud grade-appropriate text with accuracy and
• The student will learn new words through explicit instruction and
• Copies of George Shrinks for each student and the teacher
• Whiteboard, eraser, and markers
• Reading journals, pencils
• Time Required: 20 minutes
• Questions: What would you do if you shrunk?
• Assessment: Students will record the new words in their reading journals and create
a sentence using each word correctly.
• Introduce the book George Shrinks. I will have students look at the cover as I tell
them the title. I will ask "What do you think the story is about, based on the title
and cover?" "What would you do if you shrunk? (pause for responses) I wonder if
George will do any of those things." I will have students take a picture walk through
the book and talk about the things they notice in the pictures.
• I will introduce words that may be difficult for the students in the text. The
words I have selected from this book are: dreamt, quietly, sure, and trouble. I
will write each word, one at a time, on my whiteboard. I will tell the students
what the word is and what it means. Once all four words have been
introduced, I will rewrite them all on the whiteboard and leave them there
while the students read the book. This way they can refer back to the board
while reading if necessary.
• Guided Practice: The students will read independently as I listen. I will
assist with decoding as needed.
• Check for Understanding: When students have finished reading, we will
review the new vocabulary words.
End of Lesson
• Assessment: Students will record the new words in their reading journals
and create a sentence using each word correctly.
• Closure: Students will share the sentences they create