• The student will understand and apply knowledge of the sounds of the
English language, the sound-symbol relationship, and word recognition
strategies to read grade level materials with accuracy and emerging fluency.
• The student will use a variety of strategies to develop and expand reading,
listening, and speaking vocabularies.
• The student will use letter sounds, word patterns, and parts of simple
compound words to decode unfamiliar words when reading.
• The student will read aloud grade-appropriate text with accuracy and
• The student will learn new words through explicit instruction and
• Copies of George Shrinks for each student and the teacher
• Whiteboard, eraser, and markers
• Reading journals, pencils
• Time Required: 20 minutes
5. Getting Ready
• Questions: What would you do if you shrunk?
• Assessment: Students will record the new words in their reading journals and create
a sentence using each word correctly.
• Introduce the book George Shrinks. I will have students look at the cover as I tell
them the title. I will ask "What do you think the story is about, based on the title
and cover?" "What would you do if you shrunk? (pause for responses) I wonder if
George will do any of those things." I will have students take a picture walk through
the book and talk about the things they notice in the pictures.
6. The Lesson
• I will introduce words that may be difficult for the students in the text. The
words I have selected from this book are: dreamt, quietly, sure, and trouble. I
will write each word, one at a time, on my whiteboard. I will tell the students
what the word is and what it means. Once all four words have been
introduced, I will rewrite them all on the whiteboard and leave them there
while the students read the book. This way they can refer back to the board
while reading if necessary.
7. The Lesson
• Guided Practice: The students will read independently as I listen. I will
assist with decoding as needed.
• Check for Understanding: When students have finished reading, we will
review the new vocabulary words.
8. End of Lesson
• Assessment: Students will record the new words in their reading journals
and create a sentence using each word correctly.
• Closure: Students will share the sentences they create