6th grade totally final battle of the booksPresentation Transcript
Sixth Grade Final Battle of the Books
1...does the character get sprayed by a skunk?
1. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, p. 130
2...Does a young man give a delicate locket of gold and mother-of-pearl to a girl?
2. Page 126. Time Enough for Drums
3.…does the main character pay $600 in gold coins for a piece of property?
3. Riding Freedom Pam Munoz (pg. 112)
4…is a character afraid to join a rebellion at the capitol?
4. Among the Hidden By Margaret Peterson Haddix
5…is a character’s father thought to be dead after his boat has been hit by a Russian missile?
5. Artemis Fowl E. Colfer
6. ..do students drink hot tea in class?
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling, p. 105
7…does the title refer to a regional proverb?
7. Three Cups of Tea S. Thompson
8 …does a boy remember when a grizzly bear with 2 cubs almost charged him?
8. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, p. 52
9…does someone hear about a plot to drug a dog?
9. The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg, p. 10
10….does the author suggest alternate endings?
10. The Million Dollar Shot by Dan Gutman, p. 1
11...does a boy's friend play a harmonica?
11. The Ghost of the Lizard Light by Elvira Woodruff, p. 5
12. In what book does the main character go bald?
12. Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse, p. 55
13…could a recording of a cow be heard?
13. Escaping the Giant Wave By Peg Kehret (pg. 77)
14…does a girl have a secret hiding place in a hollow spot beneath an overhanging willow tree, next to a stream?
14. The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer, p. 53
15…do two children ask for some hamburger meat and say it is for a science project?
15. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, p. 114
16…does a girl receive a copy of the book Paradise Lost as a present for her 16th birthday?
16. Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi, p. 110
17...is there a lamp that cost two dollars?
17. The Ghost of Lizard Light by Elvira Woodruff, p. 1
18…does a boy receive a very expensive Christmas present, but doesn't know who sent it?
18. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling, p. 223
19…in which book is the narrator understood to be a psychiatrist?
19. Artemis Fowl E. Colfer
20…does the main character ask her driver to stop at the church so she can visit her father's grave?
20.The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer, p. 93
21…does the father of the main character’s friend give him a fake I.D. to start a new life at a boarding school?
21. Among the Hidden By Margaret Peterson Haddix
22…does a character accidently turn on an emergency transmitter?
22. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, p. 192
23…does the main character have in her rucksack her mother's candlesticks wrapped in her two heavy dresses?
23. Letters from Rifka, p. 2 By Karen Hesse
24…do we hear about a famous sharp shooter back in the 1800’s named Annie Oakley?
24. Million Dollar Shot By Dan Gutman (Pag. 5)
25…does a character’s vacation become a nightmare while he’s babysitting his little sister?
25. Escaping the Giant Wave By Peg Kehert
26…is a team composed of a brunette, a redhead, a blond, and a kid with hair as black as print on paper?
26. The View from Saturday E.L. Konigsburg
27…does a character keep all through life a kerchief from an old friend?
27. Riding Freedom by Pam Munoz Ryan, p. 121
28…do children call out math problems with sticks on the ground?
28. Three Cups of Tea S. Thompson
Final Challenge Questions!!!
29. Does a young girl decide to become "the world's only private consulting perditorian"?
29. The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer, p. 120
30…does a chance to achieve a goal depend on a combination of literary skill and athletic ability?
30. The Million Dollar Shot by Dan Gutman, p. 20
31…does a boy learn calligraphy?
31. The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg, p. 9
32…does a boy ride on the handlebars of a bike to get to an abandoned ice cream truck?
32. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, p. 72
33...does a boy become violently sick from eating too many gut cherries?
33. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, p. 69
34…are clues left purposely to make it look as if someone drowned?
34. Riding Freedom by Pam Munoz Ryan, p. 43
35….does a character live by the motto “know thineenemy” and gathers knowledge to reinforce himself?
35. Artemis Fowl By E. Colfer
36…does a character tell another character that “we’re going to make a dog sandwich.”
36. Escaping the Giant Wave By Peg Kehret page 114
37… are soldiers offered a $10 bounty if they will stay and fight for another 6 weeks?
37.Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi, p. 194
38…does a boy travel through a long tunnel to visit stores in a town?
38.Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling, p. 195
39…does a main character offer to fix the hair of a girl she just met while riding on a train?
39. Letters from Rifka by Karen Hesse, p. 36
40…does a character tell another character that “ravens are known to hold the souls of drowned sailors or dead pirates?”
40. The Ghost of Lizard Light By Elvira Woodruff (pg. 76)
41…are the events of 9-11, 2001 recounted?
41. Three Cups of Tea by S.L. Thompson
42…does a character get a fake I.D. from a friend’s father?
42. Among the Hidden Margaret Paterson Haddix
43…is a character white as a vampire and almost as testy in the light of day?
43. Artemis Fowl By E. Colfer
44…does a character plan to sell shells for 10 cents each to her friends?
44. Escaping the Giant Wave By Peg Kehret
45…does the name of the main character, written backwards, spell "alone"?
45. The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer, p. 5
46…does a character get punished after winning a race?
46. Riding Freedom by Pam Munoz Ryan, p. 26
47.…is a boy bitten by some guard dogs?
47. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, p. 118
48 …does a girl's mother write letters to a newspaper signed "Intrepid"?
48. Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi, p. 38
49. In what book is a heart shaped puzzle purchased?
49. The View from Saturday by E.L. konigsburg, p. 80
50…is a character bitten by a creature with venomous fangs?
50. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets BY J.K. Rowling
51…does a short heavy- set man and a camera crew come to visit a boy?
51. Million Dollar Shot By Dan Gutman (Pg. 61)
52.…is a character moving to Maine because his father found a new job there?
52. The Ghost of Lizard Light By Elvira Woodruff (Pg. 20)
53…does the tax bill triple?
53. Among the Hidden Margaret Paterson Haddix
54…does a girl's sister refuse to eat dinner with an American Indian?
54. Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi, p. 209
55.. Does a character meet a sailor named Pieter?
55. Letters from Rifka 55. by Karen Hesse
56…is fire referred to as "a friend and a guard"?
56. Hatchet By Gary Paulsen
41…does a girl ride a bicycle to the train station to meet her 2 older brothers?
41. The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer, p. 27
59…is a character learning to be a stage coach driver?
59. Riding Freedom By Pam Munoz
64…does a character say to another character “We’re going to make a dog sandwich?”
64. Escaping the Giant Wave By Peg Kehret (pg. 114)
66…has a main character’s father won Salesman of the year?
66. Escaping the Giant Wave By Peg Kehret (pg. 82)
67…does a twelve-year old exhibits extraordinary skills and utilize fantastical technology to manipulate situations to his benefit?
67. Artemis Fowl By E. Colfer
70…doe a character have a ritual of having his father read to him at bedtime?
71. The Ghost of Lizard Light Elvira Woodruff (pg. 34)
73... is there a child prodigy, dedicated to criminal activities?
73. Artemis Fowl By E. Colfer
74…does a character read the following quote from a book: "From the earth thine power flows, Given through courtesy, so thanks are owed. Pluck thou the magic seed, Where full moon, ancient oak and twisted water meet. And bury it far from where it was found, So return your gift into the ground"
74. Artemis Fowl By E. Colfer
75…does a character scheme to black-mail an alcohol-addicted sprite?
75. Artemis Fowl By E. Colfer (pg. 18)
77…does a character offer to work for free in exchange for food to eat and a place to sleep?
77. Riding Freedom By Pam Munoz (pg. 54)
78…does a character carry on a masquerade same as any actor in a play every time she is called on a job?
78. Riding Freedom Pam Munoz (pg. 68)
79…is a character in danger of losing an eye?
79. Riding Freedom By Pam Munoz (pg. 94)
80…do a group of people narrowly escape a collapsed bridge?
80. Riding Freedom Pam Munoz
81…does someone leave a burlap sack of kittens on the main character’s property?
81. Riding Freedom By Pam Munoz (Pg. 116)
83…does a character check out the book “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” from her school library?
83. The View from Saturday By E.L. Konigsburg
84…is a coach/teacher in a wheelchair?
84. The View from Saturday By E.L. Konigsburg
859...does the main character's mother leave her a message in the code telling her to look in the chrysanthemums?
85. The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer, p. 75
12…does a girl use a sheet of paper with holes cut in it to read a secret message?
12. Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi, p. 102
87…does a teacher wear a short-sleeved T-shirt with a team logo across the front?
87. The View from Saturday E.L. Konigsburg
14….does a character put rocks around a base of a sign as a signal to another character that a plan succeeded?
14. Riding Freedom by Pam Munoz Ryan, p. 44
21…does a boy escape from a hospital through a window in the ladies room?
21. Hoot by Carol Hiasen, p. 160
22…do children tease a boy because he fainted on a train
22. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, p. 96
28…does a boy run with rat traps stuck on his feet?
28. Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, p. 191
26…does a team lose a game when a key player faints and falls to the ground and at first his teammates think he is dead?
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, p. 18
37…does a family plant a flag on a makeshift pole over their father's grave?
37. Time Enough for Drums by Ann Rinaldi, p. 236
54…does a character’s mother expect her son to write a “Bread and Butter” letter to his grandparents?