1. A common blood disorder, anaemia is a condition, wherein, thebody of a person has fewer red blood cells than what isnecessary, either qualitatively or quantitatively. Majority of theblood comprises of hemoglobin, a molecule found in red bloodcells. It carries oxygen from the lungs to the tissues. A deficiencyin hemoglobin results in a lack of oxygen in the body, due towhich survival becomes impossible. The three main kinds ofanemia are excessive blood loss - due to hemorrhage, excessiveblood cell destruction or hemolysis and deficient red blood cellproduction or ineffective hematopoiesis. In the followingline, we have listed the various causes and symptoms of anemia
2. • Loss of blood• Deficient production of red blood cells and/or hemoglobin• Red blood cells being broken down too quickly• Inadequate intake of iron, vitamins and proteins• Heavy loss of blood due to injury• Bleeding piles• Lack of hydrochloric acid in the stomach• Intestinal parasites or worms• Certain inherited blood diseases eg. thalassaemia• Lack of Vitamin B12• Inadequate diet• Food not being absorbed properly (due to bowel disease)• Chemotherapy drugs
3. • Liver disease• Long-term heavy alcohol use• Diseases of the bone marrow• Acute blood loss: heavy periods, internal bleeding (ex from stomach ulcer)• Chronic renal failure• Endocrine disorders, like low thyroid activity
4. • Weakness• Fatigue• Lack of energy and dizziness• Haggard look• Premature wrinkles• Dull and tired-looking eyes• Shortness of breath on exertion• Headache• Slow healing of wounds• Palpitations• Impaired memory and ability to think• Being intolerant of cold temperatures• Rapid pulse• Burning sensation in the tongue• Dryness in the mouth and throat
5. • Sores at the corners of lips• Altered sense of touch• Brittle, spoon-shaped nails, with vertical stripes and a tendency to fray• Pica (an insatiable craving for a specific food, like liquorice)• Brittle hair• Difficulty in swallowing anything
6. • A proper, well-balanced diet is very beneficial for anemic people. Their diet should constitute of cereals, rice, pastas, dairy products (milk, yogurt and cheese), dry beans, eggs, vegetables and fruits, meat, poultry, fish and nuts.• Foods rich in iron are also effective in curing anemia. Liver, green leafy vegetable, beets, dried fruits, bran flake, oysters, brown rice, lentils molasses, raisins and prunes have high iron content. Breads and pastas made from whole grain flour are also high in iron. Try to include all these food items in your diet.• Food items cooked in iron pots get increased iron content. Thus, cooking food in iron pots can prove to be effective in curing anemia.• The term An apple a day keeps the doctor away is suitable in case of anemia. Try to consume 2 to 3 apples on a daily basis. They have rich iron content and thus, are helpful in treating anemia.
7. • While anemic people are recommended to have food rich in iron content, Vitamin C is required for the absorption of iron. Try to include lots of citrus fruits in your diet, such as orange, lemon, etc.• Vitamin B12 is very helpful in curing anemia. Animal protein and organic meats, like kidney and liver, are considered to be good sources of this vitamin. Consuming them will prove to be beneficial for those suffering from anemia.• Consumption of beetroot, as a cooked vegetable or in salad, is one of the best home remedies for anemia. You can also consume beetroot juice for the purpose.• Sun bath is also recommended for anemic people, as it increases the production of red blood cells.• Anemia can be cured by eating about 1/2 to 1 tsp. of the tincture of Yellow dock root, thrice in a day. You can also go for 1/2 to 1 tsp of extract of dandelion leaf and/or root, twice a day.
8. • Consumption of a ripe banana; mashed and mixed with a tablespoon of honey, will prove to be beneficial in treating anemia.• Apple and tomato juice have been found to be beneficial in treating anemia. Consume a glass of each, at least once in a day.• Soak about 7 almonds, in water, overnight. Throw away the water in the morning, peel off the skin of almonds and grind them, to form a paste. Have this paste in the morning, for at least three months.• Anemic can benefit from a combination of apple cider vinegar and blackstrap molasses. Combine 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and 2 tsp of blackstrap molasses and add 1 cup water. Drink this decoction once a day.