1. American College of PhysiciansFostering Excellence in Internal Medicine 2012 Wisconsin Chapter Scientific Meeting September 7–8, 2012 Wilderness Resort Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin Register online now!
2. GOVERNOR’S LETTERWisconsin Chapter Dear Colleague, I invite you to join me and your colleagues inMeeting internal medicine at the next scientific meetingHighlights: of the Wisconsin Chapter of the American College of Physicians, being held Friday–Saturday,• Self-Evaluation Process September 7–8, 2012, at the Wilderness Resort (SEP) recertification in Wisconsin Dells. precourses This meeting is not just for ACP members. I• Updates in tick-borne particularly want to invite nonmembers to join us for this important clinical update and to learn illness, obesity, sleep about the benefits of membership at the same time. medicine, anxiety In addition to earning up to 12 CME credits, by disorders, and more attending this meeting you will:• Posters and clinical • Gain insight into recent medical advances. vignettes presented • Discuss local and national issues affecting the by Wisconsin medical practice and teaching of internal medicine. students, residents, and • Greet old friends, meet new friends, and develop practicing physicians a network of colleagues in your area.• Laureate Award presen- • Take some time for yourself or with your family tation and Middleton to relax and enjoy the sights and activities Memorial Lecture around the Dells.• Hospitalists and Between scientific sessions, please visit the College table. You will find information on new ACP Council of Early Career programs, products, and services. There’s always Physicians reception something new at the College table—stop by and• George Magnin— see for yourself. Wisconsin Chapter To ensure your place at this invaluable meeting, reg- Awards Ceremony ister now by visiting www.acponline.org/chapters/wi and Banquet and completing the easy online registration form. You may also complete the form at the back of this brochure and send it by mail or fax. The opportunities available at this meeting will help you meet not onlyThis educational activity your needs as a physician but also the needs of thehas been designated patients you serve.for 7 CME credits. An I look forward to seeing you in the Dells. Sincerely,additional 5 credits can Steven B. Pearson, MD, FACPbe earned by attending ACP Governor, Wisconsin Chapterthe SEP Precourses.2
3. PRECOURSE FORR E C E RT I F I C AT I O NFriday, September 7, 2012 CME Accreditation7:30 a.m. Registration Desk Opens The American College of Physicians is8:00 Self-Evaluation Process (SEP) accredited by the Accreditation Council Module: 2010 Update in for Continuing Medical Education Hospital-Based Internal (ACCME) to provide continuing Medicine medical education for physicians. Kesavan Kutty, MD, The American College of Physicians MACP, FCCP, designates this live activity for 5 AMA FRCP(L) PRA Category 1 Credit(s) TM. Physicians10:30 Break and Lunch should claim only the credit commen- surate with the extent of their participa-11:30 Self-Evaluation Process (SEP) tion in the activity. Module: 2010 Update in Office-Based Internal Medicine Ann M. Maguire, MD, SEP Note MPH, FACP The Wisconsin Chapter will provide2:00 p.m. Adjourn you with a “Learner’s Copy” of both 2010 Update in Office-Based InternalSEP Precourse Faculty Medicine and 2010 Update in Hospital- Based Internal Medicine at the meeting.Kesavan Kutty, MD, MACP, FCCP, If you are enrolled in the ABIM’sFRCP(L), Regent, American College of Maintenance of Certification (MOC)Physicians; Professor of Medicine, program, you must also order anMedical College of Wisconsin; Academic “official” copy of the SEP moduleChairman of Medicine, St. Joseph directly from the ABIM by visitingRegional Medical Center, Milwaukee www.abim.org/online. Two formatsAnn M. Maguire, MD, MPH, FACP, are available: online and CD-ROM.Associate Clinical Professor, Division of You can order the module(s) onlineGeneral Internal Medicine, Medical from the ABIM before or after theCollege of Wisconsin, Milwaukee learning session. After the learning session, you haveSEP Precourse Learning 30 days to submit your answers to theObjectives ABIM for MOC credit via the Internet by using your official CD-ROM version.To help internists complete the For more information about theAmerican Board of Internal Medicine learning session, please contact Jenni(ABIM) Self-Evaluation Process (SEP) Rodriguez at email@example.com Update in Office-Based Internal For more information about theMedicine and 2010 Update in Hospital- ABIM’s MOC program, visitBased Internal Medicine modules to www.abim.org/moc.fulfill ABIM requirements towardrecertification in internal medicine. *If you are already enrolled in the ABIM MOC program, there is no additional fee forWho Should Attend the SEP the official version of the module. If you arePrecourse? not enrolled in the ABIM MOC program, you may attend the learning session; how-• General internists ever, you must enroll in the MOC program to receive credit for the knowledge module.• Hospitalists To enroll in the MOC program, visit• Subspecialty internists www.abim.org/moc. Please see the registra- tion page of this brochure for the Wisconsin• Family practitioners Chapter’s fees for attending this session. These fees are separate from the ABIM’s fees and must be paid regardless of whether you are enrolled in the MOC program. 3
4. PROGRAM SCHEDULEFriday, September 7, 2012 Noon–1:30 p.m. Laureate Award Luncheon7:30 a.m. Registration Desk Opens 1:30–2:00 AED Therapy for Sudden Cardiac Arrest: Focus onNoon–2:45 p.m. State Council Meeting Exercise Facilities (includes lunch) Richard L. Page, MD,3:00–3:10 Opening Remarks FACP Steven B. Pearson, MD, 2:00–2:30 Sleep Medicine Update: FACP, Governor, ACP Interactions Between Wisconsin Chapter Physiology and Genetics3:10–6:00 Edwin L. Overholt Associates’ Jaime Boero, MD, PhD Vignettes 2:30–3:00 Hematology/Oncology6:00–8:00 Displayed Poster Presentations Roy L. Silverstein, MD, Welcome Reception FACP Visit exhibits and view 3:00–3:30 Don’t Panic: How to Manage posters Anxiety Disorders8:00–11:00 Hospitalists and Council of Kimberly M. Stoner, Early Career Physicians MD, ACP Member Reception 3:30–4:00 Questions for the Panelists/ (open to all) Break Richard L. Page, MD,Saturday, September 8, 2012 FACP; Jaime Boero,7:30–8:15 a.m. Women’s Forum: To Err Is MD, PhD; Roy L. Human Silverstein, MD, FACP; Joan Addington-White, and Kimberly M. Stoner, MD, FACP MD, ACP Member8:30–9:00 Enhancing Patient Satisfaction 4:00–4:45 Town Hall Meeting Julia Wright, MD, Voice your concerns FACP, SFHM about issues affecting9:00–9:30 Tick-Borne Diseases in the internal medicine Wisconsin: Clinical Update and environment, as well as Practice Pearls your Chapter Todd J. Kowalski, MD, Steven B. Pearson, MD, ACP Member FACP, Charles Cutler,9:30–10:00 Obesity MD, FACP, Kesavan Charles Cutler, MD, Kutty, MD, MACP, FACP FCCP, FRCP(L)10:00–10:30 Questions for the Panelists/ 4:45–5:00 Break Break 5:00–6:00 Scott Sprtel Doctors’ Julia Wright, MD, DilemmaTM Associates’ FACP, SFHM; Todd J. Competition Kowalski, MD, ACP 6:00–6:15 Announce Winners of Member; and Charles Associates’ Vignettes and Cutler, MD, FACP Doctors’ DillemmaTM10:30–11:00 Peripheral Arterial Disease: Competitions Why You Should Care & How 6:30–9:00 George Magnin—Wisconsin You Can Help Chapter Awards Ceremony Jonathan A. Zlabek, and Banquet MD, FACP11:00–Noon Russell Quirk Memorial Lecture and College Update Charles Cutler, MD, FACP4
5. M E E T I N G I N F O R M AT I O NFaculty Roy L. Silverstein, MD, FACP, John and Linda MellowesJoan Addington-White, MD, FACP, Professor and Chair, DepartmentInternist, Internal Medicine of Medicine, Medical College ofClinic, University of Wisconsin, Wisconsin; Chief of MedicalMiddleton Service, Froedtert Hospital,Jaime Boero, MD, PhD, MilwaukeeDirector, Phiroze L. Hansotia Kimberly M. Stoner, MD,Sleep Medicine Center, Department ACP Member,of Neurology and Center for Assistant Professor, MedicalHuman Genetics, Marshfield College of Wisconsin, DepartmentClinic and Marshfield Clinic of Internal Medicine andResearch Foundation, Marshfield Department of Psychiatry andCharles Cutler, MD, FACP, Behavioral Medicine, MilwaukeeChair-elect, ACP Board of Julia Wright, MD, FACP, SFHM,Regents; Internist, Private Practice, Chief Medical Officer, NorthNorristown, Pennsylvania Central Region, Cogent HospitalistTodd J. Kowalski, MD, Management Group, MadisonACP Member, Jonathan A. Zlabek, MD, FACP,Clinician, Section of Infectious Clinician, Gundersen LutheranDiseases, Gundersen Lutheran Health System, La CrosseMedical Center, La CrosseKesavan Kutty, MD, MACP, Program Planning CommitteeFCCP, FRCP(L), Ruric (Andy) Anderson, MD,Regent, American College of FACPPhysicians; Professor of Medicine,Medical College of Wisconsin; Richard Battiola, MD, FACPAcademic Chairman of Medicine, Mark Belknap, MD, FACPSt. Joseph Regional Medical Mark Capriolo, MD, FACPCenter, Milwaukee Richard Dart, MD, FACPRichard L. Page, MD, FACP, John David, MD, FACPGeorge R. and Elaine Love Noel Deep, MD, FACPProfessor, Chair, Department of Ian Gilson, MD, FACPMedicine, University of Wisconsin, Kenneth Gold, MD, FACPSchool of Medicine & Public Sharon Haase, MD, FACPHealth, Madison Juanita Halls, MD, FACPSteven B. Pearson, MD, FACP, Rachel Hawker, MD, FACPGovernor, ACP WisconsinChapter; Associate Professor of Cyril (Kim) Hetsko, MD, FACPMedicine, University of Wisconsin, Matthew Jansen, MD, FACPSchool of Medicine & Public Kesavan Kutty, MD, MACP,Health; Program Director, Internal FCCP, FRCP(L)Medicine Residency, Gundersen Geoffrey Lamb, MD, FACPLutheran Medical Center, LaCrosse Jeff Larsen, MD, FACP Don Lee, MD, FACP Sam Lubner, MD Martin Muntz, MD, FACP Ann Nattinger, MD, MPH, MACP 5
6. M E E T I N G I N F O R M AT I O NJohn Olson, MD, FACP which the College is known.Anthony Otters, MD, FACP The award will be presented atRichard Page, MD, FACP Noon on Saturday.Steven Pearson, MD, FACP The Wisconsin Chapter is alsoKurt Pfeifer, MD, FACP pleased to announce the winners of 7 Chapter Awards, includingVipulkumar Rana, MD the Distinguished Internist,Richard Rieselbach, MD, MACP Addis Costello, Young Internist,Christine Seibert, MD, FACP Volunteerism, Community-Thomas Shiffler, MD Based Preceptor, Helen DickieUmesh Sharma, MD, FACP Woman Physician, and LegislatorPatricia Sias, MD, FACP of the Year awards. These willRoy Silverstein, MD, FACP be presented during the George Magnin—Wisconsin ChapterDai “Dan” Takahashi, DO, FACP Awards Ceremony and BanquetMichele Tschopp, MD on Saturday night.Margaret Webster, MD, FACPJulia Wright, MD, FACP, SFHM Chapter Excellence AwardSteven Yale, MD, FACP Winner We are pleasedAssociates’ and Medical to announceStudents’ Activities that ourClinical vignettes and posters Chapter is theprepared by Associates and Medical recipient of a 2011 ChapterStudents will be presented at the Excellence Award. The Chaptermeeting. Medical Student winners Excellence Award recognizes thosewill be recognized by the Chapter, chapters that excel in reaching theand Associate winners will receive standards for managing a chapter,travel expenses to Internal Medicine such as communicating to mem-2013 in San Francisco. All winners bers, instituting Medical Students’will be eligible for entrance into the and Associates’ activities, andnational competition held during advancing and recruiting members.Internal Medicine 2013. Contact A Chapter Excellence certificateRachel Hawker, MD, FACP, at will be awarded at the meeting.608-775-1910 for informationabout entering the competition. Who Should AttendThe deadline is June 30, 2012. • General internists • Subspecialty internistsChapter Awards • Med/Peds-trained generalistsIt is with distinct pleasure that the and specialistsWisconsin Chapter will present a • Hospitalists2012 Laureate Award to one of our • Allied health practitionersmembers. Laureate Award winnersare long-standing and loyal sup- • Residents (internists in training)porters of the College who have • Medical students interested inrendered distinguished service to internal medicinetheir Chapters and community • Family practice physiciansand have upheld the high idealsand professional standards for6
7. M E E T I N G I N F O R M AT I O NLearning Objectives Hotel AccommodationsAt the conclusion of this activity, We have reserved a block ofthe participant will be able to: rooms at the following rates until• Apply updated knowledge of August 7, 2012. When making Internal Medicine to clinical your reservation, be sure to practice. mention the American College• Apply updated knowledge of Physicians (ACP). of sleep medicine, peripheral Single/Double: $100 vascular disease, and tick-borne Wilderness Resort diseases to clinical practice. 511 East Adams Street• Improve clinical practice by Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965 incorporating major new The rooms are available on a developments in management first-come, first-served basis, so of sudden cardiac death and make your reservation as early as obesity. possible by calling the hotel• Understand recent advances directly at 800-867-9453. in internal medicine. For directions to the resort, visitCME Accreditation www.wildernessresort.com/index/ mapsanddirections.The American College ofPhysicians is accredited by the Area InterestsAccreditation Council forContinuing Medical Education As part of the lodging fee, full(ACCME) to provide continuing use of the Wilderness Resort’smedical education for physicians. Waterpark facilities is provided. Additional information onThe American College of Wisconsin Dells and thePhysicians designates this live Wilderness Resort is availableactivity for a maximum of 7 AMA online at www.dells.com orPRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. www.wildernessresort.com.Physicians should claim only thecredit commensurate with theextent of their participation inthe activity. If you are interested in becoming a member of the College, please contact the Customer Service Department at 800-523-1546, ext. 2600, or 215-351-2600 (M–F, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. ET). Attendance at chapter meetings can help all ACP members meet the qualifications for advancement to Fellowship. It is especially important for those applying under the pathway that calls for 5 years of activity as a Member. 7
8. HOW TO REGISTER• Online • Payment Options Visit us on the Web and register at Payment in full is required. Make www.acponline.org/chapters/wi. check or money order payable• Mail to ACP. Must remit in U.S. To register by mail, complete funds drawn on a U.S. bank. the registration form at the If paying by credit card, please back of this brochure and mail provide the credit card number, it to ACP at the address below. expiration date, security code, Be sure to list your daytime and authorizing signature. phone number in case we need • Additional Fees to notify you of any changes. All on-site registrations are sub- Please reproduce the form for ject to a $10 late registration fee. additional registrations (one Save money by registering now! form per registrant). • Cancellations/Refunds AC002 All cancellation requests must American College of Physicians be received by Member and 190 N. Independence Mall West Customer Service in writing via Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572 e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.• Fax Cancellations will not be Register 24 hours a day via fax accepted by telephone. at 215-351-2799. Fax forms • Satisfaction Guarantee must include credit card number, We offer a satisfaction guaran- expiration date, security code tee—if meeting attendees are number, and signature. Do not satisfied with their experi- not mail a copy of the form ence at the meeting, they may because it may result in a write for a refund of their duplicate registration and registration fee. you will be charged twice. • Special Needs• Phone If you have a disability or any Call 800-523-1546, ext. 2600, special dietary needs, please or 215-351-2600 (M–F, 9 a.m.– contact Jenni Rodriguez at 5 p.m. ET). email@example.com or Be sure to have your credit card 414-276-8788. number, expiration date, and security code number available before calling.8
9. HOW TO REGISTER• Questions? • For registration information, contact ACP Member and Customer Service (M–F, 9 a.m.–5 p.m. ET) toll-free at 800-523-1546, ext. 2600, or direct at 215-351-2600. You may also e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 215-351-2799. • If you need more information on the meeting schedule or location, please contact Jenni Rodriguez at email@example.com or 414-276-8788. • For more information about ACP or the Wisconsin Chapter, contact the Wisconsin Chapter Governor, Steven B. Pearson, MD, FACP, by telephone at 608-775-1910 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. 9
10. R E G I S T R AT I O N F O R M CMBAmerican College of Physicians RM1306Wisconsin Chapter Scientific MeetingSeptember 7–8, 2012This form may be photocopied.ACP # (found on mailing label)Name J MD J DOAddressCity/State/ZipDaytime PhoneFaxE-MailJ Please check here to indicate a permanent change to your preferred address for all College mailings.J Please exclude me from exhibitor mailings.PAYMENT OPTIONS:Please refer to the next page for all of your registration and payment options.Don’t forget you can register and pay online at www.acponline.org/chapters/wi.If you are mailing or faxing this form, please indicate your payment preferenceand complete the form below. GRAND TOTAL (from next page) $ ______________J Check enclosed. (Payable to ACP. Must remit in U.S. funds drawn on U.S. bank.)J Charge to:Card # __________________________________________________Exp. Date ______/ _____ _ Security Code __________________ MM YY (3- or 4-digit number found on front or back of card)If you are not registering online, you may mail this and the following page to: AC002 American College of Physicians 190 N. Independence Mall West Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572 E-mail your questions to email@example.com J Please check here if you have any special dietary needs, and be sure to contact the Wisconsin Chapter. J We encourage participation by all individuals. Check here if you are disabled and require assistance. Advance notification is essential in order for us to serve you better. Please notify the Wisconsin Chapter at least 30 days before the meeting by telephone at 414-276-8788, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We’ll be glad to help.
11. R E G I S T R AT I O N F O R M CMBSEP Module ONLY Registration Options:Check one category that best applies if you plan to attend just the SEP moduleportion of the meeting. There are no ticketed events (e.g.. meals, banquets,or receptions) associated with the SEP Modules. Membership (RM1306A) (RM1306B) (RM1306C) Category Office-Based SEP Hospital-Based SEP Both SEP Precourse Only Precourse Only Precourses Only ACP Master, Fellow, Member o $100 o $100 o $200 Nonmember Physician o $150 o $150 o $250Chapter Meeting (with or without SEP)Registration Options:Check one category that best applies if you plan to attend the chapter meeting.Please note: the registration fee includes continental breakfast, all scientificsessions and materials, and CME documentation. Please note the luncheon andbanquet pricing below.* Membership Category RM1306 (RM1306D) (RM1306E) (RM1306F) Chapter Office-Based Hospital- Both SEP Meeting SEP Precourse Based SEP Precourses & Only & Chapter Mtg Precourse & Chapter Mtg Chapter Mtg ACP Master, Fellow, Member o $100 o $200 o $200 o $250 ACP Associate (Resident Member)** o No Fee N/A N/A N/A ACP Medical Student Member** o No Fee N/A N/A N/A ACP Affiliate Member (Allied Health Professional) o $100 N/A N/A N/A Nonmember Physician o $150 o $250 o $250 o $300 Nonmember Resident** o No Fee N/A N/A N/A Nonmember Medical Student** o No Fee N/A N/A N/A Nonmember Allied Health Professional o $200 N/A N/A N/APlease indicate your attendance at the following:J Laureate Luncheon (LUN01)* Saturday, September 8, 2012, 12:15 p.m. ................................................... $25** Number of additional guests attending: ________ Subtotal: $________J George Magnin—Wisconsin Chapter Awards Ceremony and Banquet (BQT01)* Saturday, September 8, 2012, 6:30 p.m. ..................................................... $45** Number of additional guests attending: ________ Subtotal: $________**All ACP Associates and Medical Students planning to attend the luncheon or banquet must prepay to attend these meals and receive a meal ticket; however, they will be refunded if they attend the meals. GRAND TOTAL $ _____________