Success Matters – Week 4
Searching the Web
Evaluating Web Resources
Searching the Web
• What is a search engine?
• What’s the difference between a “major”
search engine and a “meta” search engine?
• Alta Vista - large database, capable of complex search
techniques & specialized searches
• Excite - attempts to find concepts related to search
terms with "Search for more documents like this one"
• Google - results ranked by "importance" measured by
which sites and how many sites link to the page.
• HotBot - complex searches, sophisticated limitation
Major Search Engines
Meta Search Engines
• WebCrawler – Searches top search engines
including Google, Yahoo!, MSN search, and
• Cnet Search.com - Searches 11 engines or
choose search by subject category.
• DogPile - Simple and Boolean searches 25
search engines, you choose order.
• What is the purpose of the “+” sign?
• What is the purpose of quotation marks?
• What is a boolean operator?
• AND, AND NOT, OR
• How would you prepare a search on the Web
for a project on The History of Tobogganing
• History + toboggan + Canada
• History AND toboggan AND Canada
• Tobaggan AND Canada
• History AND toboggan
• Learning about Web addresses or URLs
(universe resource locators) will assist in
determining the authenticity of the source.
• File structure hierarchy
Actual document workplace.html
• .org – charitable organization
• .ca – country
• .on.ca – province, country
• .edu – American postsecondary school
• .com – commercial business
• .net – suffix
Watch out for
• Vanity publishing
• A specific document that has information of
value but hasn't been through the peer review
process or hasn't been published by academic
• Requires the reader's critical analysis.
• Public Relations or Advertising
• Sites designed to promote a specific company,
point of view, or self-publishing.
• Find the Right School
• Some blogs are written by authorities, others
are venues to promote a certain point of view.
• Eg. Stephen Downes – www.downes.ca
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.