2. 1970S• April 1970: U.S President extends Vietnam War to Cambodia.• July 1971: Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty I signed.• January 1973: Ceasefire in Vietnam between North Vietnam and the United States• March 1973: Last sizeable U.S military unites depart South Vietnam• October 1973: Egypt and Syria attack Israel. Egypt requests Soviet Aid.
3. 1970s continued…• 1973: End of the U.S military draft• 1974: First female soldier joins 3AD• August 1974: President Nixon resigns• April 1975: Saigon falls to North: South Vietnam no longer exists• 1979: SALT II signed
4. 1980S• Nov.1980: Ronald Reagan elected.• 1985: Mikhail Gorbachev ascends to power in USSR.•• 1986: Gorbachev ends economic aid to Soviet satellites.•• Oct. 1986: Reagan and Gorbachev resolve to remove all intermediate nuclear missiles from Europe• Oct. 1987: Reagan and Gorbachev agree to remove all medium and short-ranged missiles from Europe by signing a treaty
5. 1980s continued…• 1989: Soviet troops withdraw from Afghanistan.• June 1989: China puts down protests for democracy•• Sept. 1989: Hungary becomes independent.• Nov. 1989: Berlin wall falls.• Dec. 1989: Communist government falls in Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria and Rumania.
6. 1990S• March 1990: Lithuania becomes independent• Oct 1990: West and East Germany unite• April 1991: Warsaw pact ends• Aug. 1991: USSR dissolves, and the Cold War ends.
7. BIBLIOGRAPHY• "A Concise Time-Line of the Cold War 1945- 1992." 3AD. N.p., 2012. Web. 28 May 2012. <http://www.3ad.com/history/cold.war/timeline .cold.war.htm>.