1. Driving Long Term Engagement In Talent Communities Recruiting Trends Webinar Wednesday, February 29, 2012 featuring Master Burnett – Director of Strategy Lucian Tarnowski – Founder & CEO The Talented Community
2. Topics for today• Explore how social technologies are evolving talent management practices and the workforce• Look at the role online communities play• Discuss how to get started building talent communities• Explore how to drive long term engagement• How to measure your efforts
3. Keep it as casual as a webinar can be I like to take questions throughout, so by all means please submit using the Q&A tool as thoughts arise.
4. Social Technologies Are Changing the GameHow Talent Management Practices, The Nature of Work Itself and the Structure of the Workforce are Changing
7. Innovate Expand into New Markets Contain Cost Customer Centric
8. Fundamental shifts – talent management• Linear Lattice Career Progression – Flatter, Virtual, Collaborative, Project Based• Accelerated Mobility – Time in Tenure, Development Cycle• Formal Informal Learning – Social Collaboration, Learning Networks• Silo’d Integrated Resourcing – Full Time Alternatives• Complexity
9. Fundamental shifts – nature of work1960 Generalist Skills Task Oriented Predictable WorkloadIndividual Contributor Geographically Dependent2012 Complex Knowledge Work Technical Collaborative Team Based Time Pressured Mobile / Virtual
11. New talent community!Unless you terminate your entire workforce and start over fromscratch, your future workforce will always contain:Converting/New College Service Strategic Contractors Intern/Early Providers Partners Experienced Current Alumni External Employees
12. The Role of Online Communities
13. What is an online community?An online community is a group of people withsimilar goals or interests that connect andexchange information using web tools. ...An online talent community is a group ofpeople that share an affinity for anorganization, profession or skill that connect, share opinions, exchange information, andcollaborate using web tools.
14. Three distinguishing points Connects Organization/Profession/Skill with all Stakeholders Groups COMMUNITY Connects Members to Connects Members to Other Members Non-Members (Discovery)
15. What’s not a talent community Any centralized database of individuals (applicants, candidates, direct sourced targets, etc.)
16. Role in the modern world• Online communities are the new “meeting places” for digital citizens across the globe• They form the backbone of the modern support system• They are where content gets discovered• They are where discussions happen whether you participate or not• They are where perceptions are formed, vetted and cemented
17. What talent communities can enable:• True Employer Branding – Segment, share/listen, test alignment• Broader Talent Ecosystem Engagement – See talent across all labor types• Discover Talent Otherwise Overlooked – Added insight, pre-applicant assessment• Cultivate / Grow Future Talent – Mentor, influence, educate/develop• Leverage Brand Army
18. Getting StartedKey Action Steps, Success and Failure Factors
19. Key action steps – the basics 1 Understand your target member(s) 2 Define how and what you want members to do 3 Design a community that delivers value to all 4 Set realistic expectations Plan for the internal change management needed to 5 support talent communities and community mgmt 6 Be realistic about allocating resources
20. Warning: Crass lesson coming Nothing grows in a sandbox … especially one littered with crap!
21. Healthy communities are like gardens • You have to seed them (content and interaction) • You can’t put some plants together • You need to fertilize infant plants • You have to manage pests • You have to eliminate rotten matter • You need to split them when they grow to large • Your results grow as your skills grow • It takes time!
22. Success factors – beyond the basics• Great Community Manager – Dedicated champion of transparency – Solicits/drives interaction – Doesn’t judge – Capable of engaging with different audiences – Promotes diversity of thought and inclusion• Build in rewards for desired member activity• Connect to offline events• Build on member commonalities• REMEMBER: It’s not about YOU!
23. Failure factors• Assuming all professions are created equal – If existing CoP’s cannot be found, you face an uphill challenge• Focusing solely on the technology• Not dedicating time/resources• Delivering little/no value• Locking down the target member too tight• Not designing for interaction
24. Keeping Your Audience Engaged It’s Just Like Any Other Relationship
25. Six keys to successful TC engagement 1 Common Interest 2 Dedicated Time Together 3 Two-way Communication 4 Tolerance for Honesty 5 Authenticity / Empathy 6 Opportunity to Grow Together**
26. Design for engagement Curious Applicant Pipelined Newly Hired Ambassador Alumni Employee Contractor/ Consultant This movement requires a planned experience. OutsourcedService Provider This is the only segment that values job announcements. Competitor Intern Aspiring Employee Other Stakeholder
27. Measuring Your EffortsFocusing on the Wrong Measure Will Drive the Wrong Activities
28. Common Community Measures• # of Unique Visitors• Conversion Rate of Members• # of repeat Visitors• Average time between repeat visits• # of minutes spent in community• # of referrals per time period• Conversion rate of referrals• # of interactions per member
30. About BraveNewTalent
31. BraveNewTalent – The Talented CommunityBraveNewTalent is a community platformthat bridges the gap between:• Education• Skills• Employers
32. Start by building a primary community
33. Use custom landing pages to invite
34. Drive tagged audiences to your communityBraveNewTalent allows organisations to leverage their internalknowledge experts, aspiringleaders, alumni, customers, strategic partners, vendors, etc. tocultivate the next generation workforce by engaging in dynamicmulti-party, multi-modal conversations focused on skills andthe application of skills inside organizations. SEO/SEM News Twitter Print Advertising Advertising LinkedIn Facebook Advertising Advertising BraveNewTalent Email Community Word of MouthCampaigns Platform