1. Literacy in the 21st Century Edcamp Philly 2011 http://www.flickr.com/photos/brody/4483246/
2. What skills do these kids need to be prepared for life in the 21st Century?
3. Kids need to be taught about intellectual property and fair use <ul><li>more resources from Temple's Media Education Lab </li></ul><ul><li>Copyright & Fair Use Wiki </li></ul>
4. Kids need to know how to create the good questions. (Kathy Schrock) http://www.flickr.com/photos/oberazzi/318947873/
5. Communicate <ul><ul><li>The ability to clearly and effectively get your point across </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>The ability to listen to other people's ideas </li></ul></ul>mage: ' telephone boxes ' http://www.flickr.com/photos/55626503@N00/118272308
6. <ul><li>Students rarely read what I suggest to them. Instead, they devour the books that their friends suggest to them (which sometimes means books I think are a wee bit trashy). </li></ul>This picture is used under a Creative Commons License from Flickr.com by user Star Guitar
7. 21st C Literacy: Practice the skills of C o l l a b o r a t i o n http://www.flickr.com/photos/35387868@N00/3065903183 http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/collaboration.html / Good design begins with honesty, asks tough questions, comes from collaboration and from trusting your intuition . ~Freeman Thomas @pseudandry
8. Literacy <ul><li>Being able to problem solve </li></ul>Image: ' 3D Character and Question Mark ' http://www.flickr.com/photos/40780016@N02/3914729343
9. Kids need to be able to interpret media messages screen shot from Assignment Media Literacy
11. Joe’s Non-Netbook video on YouTube A great portrayal of how kids read in the 21 st Century.
12. Kids need to know where to find information <ul><li>http://www.flickr.com/photos/65555826@N00/1447024668 & http://www.flickr.com/photos/61787893@N00/275371357 </li></ul>
13. 'Schools should be a mirror of a future society.' Anon http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2523/4153954716_f7d7142f16.jpg
14. These 140 characters might change the world... Photo / Screenshot: Ryan Wassink Twitter:@RjWassink Everybody has a voice Use yours.
15. =ability to read, write and interact across a range of platforms, tools and media from signing and orality through handwriting, print, TV, radio and film, to digital social networks. Transliteracy Research Blog JoyceValenza
16. Digital literacy is a natural language for our students. Source: http://www.saveonlinestore.com/save-online-shopping-store-iphone-Nick-Richards-iphone.jpg