Who is @MichaelBowers?
District Center Manager for Ohio SBDC at
Columbus State since 2002
SBDC State Star for Ohio in 2007
Won the SBA Innovation and Service
Center of the Year for Ohio and SBA
Region Five in 2007
Won the State of Ohio SBDC Innovation
Striving to accelerate the growth of
entrepreneurship and small business
innovation. #RunNerds Marathoner.
What's worth doing is worth doing for 26.2!
An experienced & award winning team providing
no-cost, one-on-one business management advice
with four centers to serve you at one location:
Ohio SBDC Manufacturing Center
Ohio SBDC International Business Center
Ohio SBDC Latino Center
The Ohio SBDC at Columbus State
Advised 1,087 Small Businesses
Conducted classes for over 1,500 attendees
Facilitated $4,804,950 in loans / investment
Assisted in the creation or retention of 617
51% of SBDC clients are women owned
36% of SBDC clients are minority owned
2012 SBDC Activity
SBDC Business Assistance
Business Start-Up ~ BizStartNow, a three week
intensive program covering the specifics of business
start-up and operation ~ No Charge
Topic Specific Small Group Advising ~ Topic specific
content delivered to small groups of business owners to
help them quickly address pressing needs ~ No Charge
One-On-One Business Advising ~ SBDC Certified
Business Advisors work one-on-one with the business
owner to address the specific issues that will take the
business to the next level ~ No Charge
No Stupid Questions
(Although I will talk & Tweet about
I love you all it just may not seem
like it (Tough Love)
What Are We Doing Today?
Discuss the strategic development of a social media strategy.
Discuss the various social media platforms and how to best
leverage these to reach your goals.
Discuss how using Social Media will help you get your ideas to
spread and reach customers.
Discuss how use Social Media to reduce marketing costs
How to manage time to best implement a social media strategy
Goals ~ What do you want to
Platforms ~ Where are your
customers? This will determine
where you should be.
Promotion~ How are you going
to promote and engage?
Three Steps in SM Development
Social Media is about
Building a “community” of
people interested in what
Do You Remember Community?
If You Build It Will They Come
The Blog Allows
You To Tell The
Content Marketing means creating and sharing
valuable free content to attract and convert prospects
into customers, and customers into repeat buyers.
The type of content you share is closely related to what
you sell; in other words, you’re educating people so that
they know, like, and trust you enough to do business
You have to create content ~ Get in the habit
Embrace Brevity ~ Not everything is a 5,000
word manifesto. Remember your content will
probably be read on a 3 inch screen
Keep it simple ~ This isn’t English class. Write
to your audience.
• Pin from your website so when people find it they
will click back to your site.
• Add your business name and address to your
photo so when people find it and pin it they see
• Create pinboards for various topics your
customers are interested in and looking for.
• Participate ~ Pin things you like and people will
• Instagram launched as an iPhone app in
Apple's App Store on October 6, 2010.
• By December 2010, Instagram had one
million registered users.
• By July 2011, Instagram users had shared
over 100 million photographs. It reached 10
million registered users in September that
• The number had hit 30 million by April 2012.
• Foursquare has had over 3 billion check-ins
• Foursquare sees 2,000 check-ins per minute
• 60% of Foursquare's 25 million users are
• 41% of Foursquare users are between the
ages of 25 and 34
• 60% of Foursquare users are male
• More than 2/3 of active Foursquare users post
• Yelp had 22MM reviews on its network in September
2011, an increase of 66% over September 2010
• A one-star increase in Yelp rating leads to a 5-9%
increase in revenue
• Yelp had a monthly average of 84 million unique
visitors in Q3 2012
• By the end of Q3 2012, Yelpers had written more than
33 million rich, local reviews
• Yelp's mobile application was used on 8.2 million
unique mobile devices on a monthly average basis
during Q3 2012
Why Google+ Local
• 59% of consumers use Google every month
to find local businesses
• 20% of searches on Google are related to
• 67% of Android users used Google Maps
apps in the past 30 days
Social Media Tools
You Don’t Buy
Drills You Buy
Social Media Tools
Focus on the outcome,
the desired result, not
You can manage your sites
from a single tool.
You don’t have to go to each
site and it doesn’t take that