1. Informal talk on life in and after college1st year 2nd year 3rd year 4th year
2. So why are we here? We are here to give you that*Push* you need and hopefullyshow you what all is possible. :)Note : These are just guidelines and not hard rules to follow.
3. Who the hell are we anyway?
4. PICTPunetechGroup● Group for techies.● Started sometime in October 2011.● Open to anyone who is interested in Computer Science.● We value perspective more than knowledge.● Expressing your ideas in a proper way is critically important to us.● Vision : To create a self-organized community which would eventually help everyone.● IRC Channel : #ppg-irc @ freenode network● https://www.facebook.com/groups/pictpunetechgroup●
5. Mayank Jain (firesofmay)● Clojure Noob.● Software Developer at Helpshift.com● Currently Automating stuff.● Admin of PPG.● Graduated from PICT in 2012.● Will share the perspective from working in a Startup.● Contact me at: – email@example.com – https://twitter.com/ – http://firesofmay.blogspot.com/ – https://www.facebook.com/firesofmay
6. Gaurav Jain● Associate Engineer, Wireless R&D, Marvell Semiconductor● Linux hacker, Wifi Expert, Loves open source, Detests SMS language of any kind.● Graduated from PICT in 2011.● Will share his perspective from working in a Big Company.● Contact : – https://www.facebook.com/gmjain – https://www.twitter.com/grvj – https://www.github.com/gmjain – firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Alex James● Works with Symantec.● Graduated in 2011, PICT.● Manga/Anime freak. Likes tinkering around “infrastructure-stuff” (Please ask him. We dont know what he means.) Loves scripting in any language.● Contact at: – email@example.com – https://www.facebook.com/alx.james
8. You Ask us what matters to you!● In these slides, we will list down some questions that we feel are important.● You can either ask us from the list or any other question that you might have.● Questions are broken into 4 slides covering about 40 Questions. 1)How to improve your skillset during college? 2)How to go beyond the university syllabus? 3)MS and placement related questions. 4)Miscellaneous.
9. <Set 1/4> How to improve your skill set during college?Q00. What is computer science exactly?Q01. How important is knowledge?Q02. Why should I learn computer science history? It has no value.Q03. What are the must-read books during college?Q04. How can I improve my skill-set?Q05. But during college we dont get time. After college Im tired. No time tolearn.Q06. So many things to do/learn. Help me!Q07. I find that X (like Java/php) sucks, but still it is widely used. Why is itthat? And why should I care about learning things that are awesome?Q08. I suck at Math. Can I still be a good programmer?Q09. I hate hardware. I love software. Is that fine?Q10. I am a topper, do I still need to put in so much extra effort?Q11. I want to contribute to Open Source Software. Tell me what to do.
10. <Set 2/4> How to go beyond the university syllabus?Q12. Are studies/degrees really necessary?Q13. I want to do X certification. Will it help me? Howhelpful are certifications?Q14. Where can I find out the latest in tech/jobs?Q15. How to find out events happening in pune?Q16. What are the must learn tech/tools?Q17. Is it enough to learn c/c++/java?Q18. What are the awesome sites that I should check out?Q19. How important is Blogging, Twitter, Facebook, Quora,Linkedin in terms of career?Q20. Y shud i typ prprly?????????
11. <Set 3/4> MS and placement related questions.Q21. How important are marks in relation to : a) MS b) Placement.Q22. Is it worth going for MS right after college?Q23. How to apply off campus?Q24. Are startups good?Q25. Should I wait for a good job or join a mediocre company till I find agood job?Q26. Comparison of working in a corporate vs startup.Q27. How cool is winning/participating in college competitions on resume?Q28. What subjects should I focus on for placements?Q29. I send out my resume to so many companies. No one responds.Q30. Is it okay to negotiate in off campus placement?Q31. Is it okay to ask questions in interview? What kind of questions to askthem?
12. <Set 4/4> Misc.Q32. I got a year down or ATKT. Am I screwed?Q33. I want to start my own company. Tell me what to do!Q34. I dont know what should be my (BE/TE/X) project?How do I find the idea?Q35. Is it helpful to have a sponsored BE project?Q36. I don’t know what I want to do in my life? How shouldfigure that out? It kills me! Arghh!Q37. I want to become a hacker. Can you tell me where tostart? </end>
13. Q00. What is computer science?● Define:computer - An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program.● Define:Science - The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment
14. Computer Science.● Computer Science is not really about the computer.● Its not about computers in the same sense . – Physics is not really about particle accelerators. – Biology is not really about microscopes and petri dishes. – Geometry is not really about using surveying instruments. – You can see the moon and stars without a telescope.● You can also play with computer science well without computers.● Ideas are the real stuff of computer science. </Set 1/4>
15. Q01. How important is knowledge?● Knowledge is 10%.● Perspective.● Values/Principles.● Determination and Flexibility.● Networking with people.● Writting Skills.● Ability to express Yourself/Idea.● History of your domain.● Learn the Protocol of your domain. – Example : Subject - “ANN: Pase Java Library for Parsing HTML.” ANN Stands for Announcement. </Set 1/4>
16. Q02. Why should I learn computer science history? It has no value.● Context is everything.● Understanding the roots.● Knowing the Demi Gods of your domain.● History is not about Learning from mistakes, but to understand the context of why things are the way they are.● To appreciate something you need context, taste of what is good vs bad. </Set 1/4>
17. Q03. What are the must read books during college?● Lauren Ipsum.● Hackers and Painters.● What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry.● Nand to Tetris.● Structure And Interpretation Of Computer Programs.
18. Lauren Ipsum.● A story about computer science and other improbable things.● Start with this book if confused.● Small book.● http://www.laurenipsum. org/
19. Hackers and Painters.● Collection of Blog Post by Paul Graham.● Covers variety of topics.● Talks about what is important.
20. What the Dormouse Said● Book about Computer Science History.● To know who are the real Legends.● To understand the context.
21. Structure And Interpretation Of Computer Programs.● Must Read Book.● It will change the way how you think.● Video Lectures Available as well.● Book : http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html● Video Lectures : http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and- computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of- computer-programs-spring-2005/ </Set 1/4>
22. Q04. How can I improve my skill set?● Project Euler - http://projecteuler.net/● TopCoder - www.topcoder.com/● Code Chef - www.codechef.com/● Reliscore - http://reliscore.com/● Interviewstreet - https://www.interviewstreet.com/challenges/● KhanAcademy - http://www.khanacademy.org/ </Set 1/4>
23. Q05. But during college we dont gettime. After college im tired. No time to learn.● You wont really get time after college.● Make the most of your time now.● Learn as many things as you can.● Work on small projects. </Set 1/4>
24. Q06. So many things to do/learn. Halp!● Cost of delay.● Example for a SE Student (Assuming he knows nothing). Task Cost of Delaying Learning by 1 Month Learning C Properly Very Costly Learning No Cost. Machine Learning Learning Data Structures Moderate.● Hence the order : C > DS >> ML </Set 1/4>
25. Q07. I find that x (like Java/php) sucks, butstill it is widely used. Why is it that? And why should I care about learning things that are awesome?● Why is it popular?● Why Java/Php is used so widely?● Do you want to be part of the crowd or stand out?● Do you want to create your own path or follow others? </Set 1/4>
26. Q08. I suck at Math. Can I still be a good programmer?● Good? - Yes.● Awesome? - No.● Minimum : – Discrete Maths – General Calculations. – Algo Analysis. – Statistics● For anything advance like Machine Learning its a Must.● For Companies Like Google etc Solid Maths is must.● Khan Academy </Set 1/4>
27. Q09. I hate hardware. I love software. Is that fine? Teensy Arduino Raspberry Pi
28. 64 Core Supercomputer with Raspberry Pi </Set 1/4>
29. Q10. I am a topper, do I still need to put in so much extra effort? Depends.● If you want to lead an easy happy going life you will do just fine.● If you want to make an impact, you need to add to yourself then marks.● Greatness is not by knowledge/marks but by what they stood for, what they valued.● Student + Degree != Engineer. </Set 1/4>
30. Q11. I want to contribute to open Source. Tell me what to do.● Go watch this presentation http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/glv/pres entations/i-want-2-do-project-tell-me-wat-2-do.pdf● Address people by their first name.● Learn to Read (A lot).● Know how Mailing Lists work.● No Interest + BE Project != Free Software Project.● Learn the basic set of tools. </Set 1/4>
31. Q12. Are studies/degrees really necessary?● Best way : Combine Degree with self learning.● Degree – Provides Discipline. – A surrounding. – A strucuture. – Some companies require you to have a degree.● Self Learning – Coursera – Udacity – Khan Academy – Edx – Google :) </Set 2/4>
32. Q13. I want to do x certification. Will it help me? How helpful are certifications?● Certifications help you only to get the job.● Various Certs : – CCNA, CCNP, CCIE – RHCE – SCJP, SCWCD – CEH● Beware of Institutes. 99% Suck.● Try to learn on your own.● Learn how to learn yourself.● Combine a certification with a project. </Set 2/4>
33. Q14. Where can I find out the latest in tech/jobs?● HackerNews - http://news.ycombinator.com/● Twitter - https://twitter.com/● Prismatic - http://getprismatic.com/● PPG - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pictpunetechgroup/● Valu - https://www.facebook.com/groups/VALU.vit/● HasGeek Job Board - http://jobs.hasgeek.com/● HackerNews for India - http://hackerstreet.in/● AngelList - https://angel.co/● Linkedin - http://linkedin.com/
34. Reddit.● Reddit/SubReddits. – http://www.reddit.com/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/jobs/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/Python/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/math/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/ – http://www.reddit.com/r/java/ And many more. </Set 2/4>
35. Q15. How to find out events happening in pune?● Punetech - http://punetech.com/● Punetech Calendar - http://punetech.com/calendar/● Pune Startups Jobs - https://groups.google.com/forum/? fromgroups#!forum/punestartupjobs● Pune OpenCoffee Club - http://punestartups.org/● Pune Meetups - http://www.meetup.com/cities/in/pune/● PICT Punetechgroup - https://www.facebook.com/groups/pictpunetechgroup/● VALU Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/VALU.vit/
36. ● Pune Java User Group - http://www.meetup.com/PuneJUG/● Open Source Friday - http://www.meetup.com/PuneRailsMeetup/events/83079892/● NodeJS Pune - http://www.meetup.com/NodeJS-Pune/● CronaSDK Pune - http://www.meetup.com/Corona-SDK-Pune-Meetup/● TechNext - http://www.meetup.com/TechNext/● Pune Startups Google Group - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/punestartups● Null Group - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/null-co-in </Set 2/4>
37. Q16. What are the must learn tech/tools?● Emacs/Vim.● Git.● Any Distro of Linux (No Mac is not counted).● C (GDB).● IRC.● Mailing Lists.● Latex (For writing Papers/Resumes).
38. Advance● For Low level Stuff -> C/Go.● For scripting -> Pytho/Ruby.● For Pure functional Programming -> Haskell.● For Lisp dialects -> Clojure.● For Solid Network Programming/Concurrecny -> Erlang.● Most Importantly, implement something with your tools. </Set 2/4>
39. Q17. Is it enough to learn C/C++/Java?● To Get a job? Yes.● To do something super ultra cool and set your names in stone? Hell No!● Contribute in small ways.● Ex. Good coding is not about getting the right output for the right input. </Set 2/4>
40. Q18. What are the awesome Sites that I should check out?● Coursera : http://coursera.com/● Udacity : http://udacity.com/● Edx : https://www.edx.org/● KhanAcademy : http://khanacademy.org/● DIYComputerScience : http://diycomputerscience.com/● Kickstarter : http://kickstarter.com/● Quora : http://www.quora.com/● Stack Overflow : http://stackoverflow.com/● Reddit : http://reddit.com/● Reddit Programming : http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/● Codeacademy : http://www.codeacademy.com/ </Set 2/4>
41. Q19. How important is Blogging,Twitter, Facebook, Quora, Linkedin, Github in terms of career?● Online Presence == Super imp.● Your Online Presence reflects you.● Be thoughtful of what you post/share.● Attract awesome people.● Showcase your talent beyond a 2 page resume.
42. Contd.● Facebook : Taken Very Seriously.● Twitter : To follow people you are interested in.● Quora : To ask Questions.● Blog : Reflects your capability to express.● Github : To showcase your work.● Linkedin : (Understand how It works)● Dont just add people on facebook. Talk to them.● Be nice.● Be humble.
43. How to connect on facebook?● Me : Hi, I have sent you a request to add you on facebook. Itll be interesting knowing you in person, hence the request. Cheers!● XYZ : Request accepted. Thanks. I look forward to connecting with you as well. </Set 2/4>
44. Q20. Y shud i typ prprly?????????● Impression.● Protocol of doing things.● How to communicate.● Following the standards.● You have 30 seconds to impress.
45. Evaluation of your writing in 30 Why so many dots ? seconds. Why shouting? “helo ABC.......ur lec is VERY useful 2 as....thnk u fr ur lec by me....n.....my frandz, plz provid knwldge suport 2 as !!!!!!!”SMS == Not serious. Ambiguous. As? Us? Why so many “!!!!” ? Very hard to read. Impression? : Not worthy of my time.
46. Evaluation of impressive writing in 30 seconds. Building Context. Well Formatted.● “Hi Abc, We met at the talk you delivered on 10th Oct. at PICT regarding what to do in college. Your lecture was very helpful and I wanted to thank you on mine and my friends behalf. Regards, Took effort to reply. XYZ.” Clear Impression? What do you think? :) </Set 2/4>
47. Q21. How important are marks in relation to : a) MS b) Placement.● Scholarship is decided on that.● Top tier colleges care about that.● Corporate companies care a lot. </Set 3/4>
48. Q22. Is it worth going for MS right after college?● Depends: – If you are getting placed in Top Tier Company then No. – If you are getting placed in Service companies then yes. – No easy answer. </Set 3/4>
49. Q23. How to apply off campus?● Start preparing at least one year from before.● Build your Facebook/Twitter profile.● Start Blogging.● Upload your Projects online on Github.● Go for conferences/meetups.● Meet people. Talk to them. Make bonds with them.● And find out who are the people you would like to work with.● Create a list of companies you want to target.● Learn about them.● Send a targetted resume with a proper cover letter. </Set 3/4>
50. Q24. Are startups good?● You get to work on a wide variety of domains.● You get to see why you are doing what you are doing.● What you do has real importance to the future of the company.● You contribute to the success/failure of a small company.
51. Q25. Should I wait for a good job orjoin a mediocre company till I find a good job?● You ask about the bond that you have to pay if you leave in between.● Make sure you know how long is the bond period.● Some companies don’t tell you the bond amount to pay.● Make sure you joining a medicore company won’t get in your way of trying to find a better place.● Read NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) because most companies dont allow you Open Source Contribution. </Set 3/4>
52. Q26. Comparison of working in a corporate vs startup. Pros ConsCorporate Brand No context Systematic Part of crowd Less hectic Your actions has v.low impact Great for MS Specific Knowledge Will survive.Startup Wide Variety of knowledge No Brand. Know why and How Can die anytime. Your actions make a huge impact. More hectic. </Set 3/4>
53. Q27. How cool is winning/participating in college competitions on resume?● Dont do it for resume.● Organize them. </Set 3/4>
54. Q28. What subjects should I focus on for Placements?● Do _not_ study only from Technical/Techmax/Jigar.● Algorithms● Data Structures.● OS● Networking● Databases● Dicrete Maths● Aptitude● Speaking/Writting Properly● Doing your Assigments properly. </Set 3/4>
55. Q29. I send out my resume to somany companies. No one responds.● Change your approach.● Review what you did, what mistakes you made.● Make your resume stronger, cleaner.● Read this link : steve-yegge.blogspot.in/2007/09/ten-tips-for- slightly-less-awful-resume.html </Set 3/4>
56. Q30. Is it okay to negotiate in off campus placement?● Yes. </Set 3/4>
57. Q31. Is it okay to ask questions ininterview? What kind of questions to ask them?● How many other people work in the team? What are their job roles?● - Ask about appraisals and performance reviews – how often, will they be tied to pay increases or bonuses?● - How will my performance be measured?● What skills and experience would you say are necessary for someone to succeed in this job?● What scope for progress and promotion is there within the company?● Can you describe a typical day or week in the job?
58. Contd.● - Will the job involve much travelling? If so, how much?● - When are you looking for someone to start?● - When can I expect to hear from you?● - Could you explain the company structure to me?● - What software / systems does your company use?● - What are the company’s plans for the future?● - What are the company’s core business goals? </Set 3/4>
59. Q32. I got a year down or ATKT. Am I screwed?
60. Famous Failures● Albert Einstein● Abraham Lincoln● J. K. Rowling● Walt Disney● Thomas Edison● Michael Jordan● Bill Gates● Henry Ford● Steven Spielberg● Charles Darwin Link : http://www.creativitypost.com/psychology/famous_failures
61. “Life is long. A lot could happen.” “Make Mistakes.” “Successful people are those whose plan B worked.” </Set 4/4>
62. Q33. I want to start my own company. Tell me what to do!● Join a good startup at an early stage.● Learn everything about it. Every layer.● Learn how funding works - http://www.khanacademy.org/finance-economics/venture● Make friends - Super Important.● Need Determination & Flexibility● Idea.● Technical Know how.● Read all his post : http://www.paulgraham.com● Follow enterprenaurs on twitter. </Set 4/4>
63. Q34. I dont know what should be my(BE/TE/X) project? How do I find the idea?● Do not get the project done from outside.● No one gives a s**** about your marks.● Find out what are the current happening in various domains.● Figure out the companies that interest you.● Find a group that has similar taste/interest as you. It is important to learn how to work as a team. </Set 4/4>
64. Q35. Is it helpful to have a sponsored BE project?● In Short Yes.● Branded Companies matter for MS? Yes.● Focus on learning not on getting it done anyhow.● Try to get a good internal guide. </Set 4/4>
65. Q36. I don’t know what I want to do in my life? How should figure that out? It kills me! Arghh!● Ask yourself these two questions honestly, Q. What are the three things that you value the most? Q. Where you do see/want to see, yourself in 1 year down the line?● Hard to answer? Yes.● Life is about journey not destination.● Remember : No one can answer this for you.s </Set 4/4>
66. Q37. I want to become a hacker. Can you tell me where to start? “Dont learn to learn hack, Hack to learn.”● What is this Hacking?● What is Cracking?● How To Become A Hacker - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html● The Hacker Manifesto - http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/manifesto.html </Set 4/4>
67. Q37. I want to become a hacker. Can you tell me where to start? “Dont learn to learn hack, Hack to learn.”● What is this Hacking?● What is Cracking?● How To Become A Hacker - http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html● The Hacker Manifesto - http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/manifesto.html </Set 4/4>
68. “Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb atree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid” - Unknown Thank you.  : http://www.quora.com/Albert-Einstein/Out-of-all-those-quotes-attributed-to-Einstein- which-ones-are-really-his-How-can-you-tell