Download MySQL 4.0.17 at:
Unzip “mysql-4.0.1-win.zip” and execute “setup.exe”
Choose a directory, select typical install options.
Once installation is complete, go to your autoexec.bat file
and put: SET MYSQL_HOME=C:mysql
SET PATH =%MYSQL_HOME%bin;%PATH%
-where “C:mysql” is the location where you installed mysql.
Once mysql is installed, and your variables are setup,
you need to install the mysql server “service”. To do this type:
C:mysqlbin> mysqld --install //installs the service
C:mysqlbin> NET START MYSQL //start the mysql server
Connecting to the MySQL Server
• SYNTAX: mysql -h host -u user -p
<< EXAMPLE >>
C:mysqlbin> mysql –h localhost –u root –p
NOTE: THE DEFAULT PASSWORD FOR ROOT IS BLANK !!!
Changing “ROOT” password
GET USER FIRST:
C:mysqlbin> mysql -u root mysql
CHANGE PASSWORD SYNTAX:
mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('new_password')
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
DON NOT FORGET THE “ ; “ semi-colon
Interfacing with MySQL Server
• The command-line is too cumbersome, we need a GUI!!
• Enter the MySQL Control Center
• Download at:
• Unzip mysqlcc-0.9.4-win32.zip and install:
• Open Control Center and Register your MySQL Server
• NAME: Any name you want
• HOST: DNS NAME OR IP-ADDRESS of MySQL SERVER
• USERNAME: Usually root
• PASSWORD: Leave blank, UNLESS you changed it.
Interfacing with Java: Important Points
• Use ConnectorJ “JDBC Driver”
• Include mysql-connector-java-3.0.10-stable-bin.jar in your
• Import com.mysql.jdbc.Driver;
• Get to know the java.sql.* Package!
Understand “DriverManager” and its relationship with a
OTHER CLASSES OF USE:
ResultSet - The format Data is retrieved from a Database.
Statement - Used to query a Database for a ResultSet.
CallStatement - Execute a StoredProcedure in the database to
obtain a ResultSet.