Delay problems in
the Port of Guayaquil
Class: 6th B
Teacher: MSc Max Galarza
• The change in the operating system of
the Marine Port of Guayaquil causes
disadvantages in the containers office
on the dispatch of the merchandise.
Since the weekend, when the
concessionaire Contecon initiated the
change of the computer system, the
trucks form long queues that come up
to six blocks.
• 200 Trucks were parked on the
outskirts of the port of Guayaquil
waiting their turn to load
The New system
• The name of the new system is SparcsN4.
• It was implemented in Febraury 2nd.
• One of the main objectives of the change of computer system
will be that the importers and exporters manage their load '
24/7 '. In this port handling more than 1 million containers a
• Until now, the operations to remove the goods were carried
out between 07:00 and 19:00, on weekdays.
The New system
• With this instrument, the port entity seeks to improve
planning between boats, unloading cranes, recovery windows
and transporters. That would, as they have indicated
representatives of Contecon, reduce clearance times.
• The aim is that the process be given in less than 50 minutes.
• Another of the objectives established by Contecon, that will
keep the seaport of Guayaquil operations until 2027, is that
port operators have access online to the real state of its
• The seaport of Guayaquil is responsible for mobilising and
collect the taxes that generates more than 55% of the load
that up to the country. From there, the foreign trade sector
is affected when the trucks are stucked on the outskirts of
• 'Here, every minute is money. When there is congestion as
today everything is delayed‘, said one trucker.
• Inside the port activities were continuing yesterday.
• On the operation of the resolution 116 of the Comex, existing since
December, have been already dispatched more than 80 container
that had problems with the nationalization of the merchandise,
which must now comply with the endorsement of the standards of
• According to the principal of Contecon, even the number of
containers that will no longer enter the country this year are being
• In context. Port activities have problems with the implementation of
the resolution 116 of the Committee of trade (Comex) and the
compliance of the standards of quality Inen. The Government plans
to reduce imports this year at more than $ 800 million.