Don’t Forget Email Marketing!Presented by: Matt Goyer, Redfin@mattgoyerJuly 13, 2010, Real Estate Connect SF
Don’t Get Caught Up With Social Media Hype Redfin Survey, 450 site users http://bit.ly/FacebookNotTwitter
For Redfin: Email > Social Media Redfin’s #’s: Facebook: 1,100 fans Twitter: 4,571 followers Blog: 1,400 email subscribers 200 page views/day Email newsletter: 210,000 subscribers, growing 250% year-over-year 15-35% open rate Alerts for new listings: millions of emails a month
5 Things to Get Right
1. Do It For the Right Reasons Have a clear goal Build trust by telling it like it is Know your audience 25-45 year olds, net-savvy, highly educated Commit to a schedule Twice a month Don’t spam, make it easy to unsubscribe
2. Pick the Right Tool Will it integrate well with your site & blog? Can you personalize your mailings? Can you test different subject lines? Can you figure out what’s working?
Is it easy-to-use?
Recommendations: MailChimp Whatever you use now for email
3. Make It Easy to Signup Prominent sign-up box on your site & blog Landing page describing what you get, links to past ones
This is something we have not done well!
4. Test, Improve, Repeat The basics Proof read Check all the links Does it look right in every email client? (Check out LitmusApp.com) Getting fancy Best time of day? (Afternoons) Best day of the week? (Undecided) Subject lines? (Catchy!)
5. Get The Most Out of It Post to your blog Then link to your blog post from: Facebook Twitter Website Make it easy for promoters to share Respond to replies & comments
Proof Email Marketing Works “Great job to the Redfin team for the stats on the current market. As a consumer, I appreciate that Redfin has a policy of being open and honest with information and data; a good contrast to [removed]. In fact, I would now say that this transparency is now a bigger motivator for me to use Redfin for my purchase than the 1.5% refund.” - Seattle Redfin Customer
Industry vs. Redfin Newsletters Real estate averages from MailChimp report: http://bit.ly/EmailBenchmarks