Post Daily Outline
• Go over HW
• Daily outline
• Classroom Procedures
Classroom Procedures: What do they need to know?
• Need-to-know basis
• Seating chart
• Desk arrangement
• When they enter classroom…
• Going to the bathroom
• Pen v. Pencil
• What materials to bring every day
• Sharpening pencils
• Posting procedures
• Leaving the classroom
Timing: the toughest thing ever.
• How do you fill every minute of every class
period every day?
• How long should you teach a unit before
giving a test?
Fillers and/or Review Ideas
• YouTube [Hey, Ed, mention FLS here]
• Geoguessr / QuizUp
• Vine (or IG or iMovie)
• Question no one can miss
• Recycle Ball
Control (a.k.a. Classroom Management)
• Giving directions
• ***RULE of 3s***
Handling Bad Student Behavior
• The most important rule for you…
• Some techniques
Some techniques: Hey, these things work!
• Grow a scary goatee
• The Look
• Quick name call (use with The Look)
• The Whisper
• The Quick In-the-Hall Conference
• Hold after class
• The note (email) home
Some Words You Really Should Not
Use in a Middle School Classroom
• Uranus. Joint. P- and S-waves.
• p. 69
• Any questions whose response can be “TWSS” or
• Read it
• Don’t handle violations yourself
• Know where they should go and the
procedure for handling them
• Don’t ignore them if you see them
• Try not to put your students in a precarious
honor position. Make directions clear.
• You can go years without seeing one
• Why give it? The Homework Myth
• Grading it
• Work together? Make it clear.
• How do they know what the assignment is?
• Accept late work? Any school policy?
• Do not give as punishment