Common name: Pig weed
Scientific name: Amaranthus viridis
Characteristics: It is
an erect, perennial broadleaf herb, growing up to
75 to 100cm high.
• Stem: It has cylindrical, smooth stem.
Leaves: Alternate leaves, long-petiolated, 4 to
10cm long with a broad base, 1.5 to 5.5cm wide.
• Fruit: The fruit is a capsule, 1.2mm long and 1mm
large, with one seed. The upper side of
the fruit has a short stigma divided into threepieces.
Seeds: seeds are 1 to 1.25mm in diameter, brown
or black, shiny, slightly compressed,.
• Uses: It is used as vegetable.
Common name: Prickly chaff flower
Scientific Name: Achyranthes aspera
Characteristics: It is an erect, branched herbs or
under shrubs, up to 15 cm. high It grows as
wasteland herb everywhere
Stem: It has an angular, more or less densely hairy
Leaves: Leaves are opposite, or rounded at apex.
Seeds: Seeds are Deflexed, congested near the
apex of the axis, perfect, bracts and bracteoles sub
It is Seeds rich in protein, cooked and eaten.
It is used in religious ceremonies in India.
Common name: Punarnava
Scientific Name: Boerhavia diffusa
Characteristics: It is a species of flowering plant. It
is a perennial herb. The Boerhavia diffusa plant
grows throughout India, as a weed in water lands
and road sides.
Leaves: two leaves on each node are present, one
smaller than the other.
Flowers: The flowers are very small, reddish or
whitish. The plant flowers and fruits in monsoon.
The leaves of Boerhavia diffusa are often used as a
green vegetable in many parts of India.
It is a folk medicine and super-food.
• Convolvulus arvensis:
• Common name: Field bindweed
• Scientific Name: Convolvulus arvensis
• Characteristics: Convolvulus arvensis is a perennial plant is a
that produces stems 2-4cm' long.
• Leaves: Leaf size and shape are variable, but generally the
leaves are 1 to 2 inches long, smooth and shaped like an
• Flowers: Flowers are funnel-shaped, about 1 inch diameter,
and white or pink in color. The flower stalk has two small
bracts located ½ to 2 inches below the flower.
• Stem: The twining stems vary from 1.5 to 6 feet or more in
length. The stems are sometimes hairy .
Field Bindweed is an attractive plant while it is in flower, but
it can be very aggressive and persistent and used as an
• Mentha longifolia:
• Common name: wild mint
• Scientific name: Mentha longifolia
• Characteristics: Mentha longifolia or wild mint is a fastgrowing, perennial. It can reach up to 1.5 m high in
favourable conditions, but is usually between 0.5-1 m high
and even shorter in dry conditions.
• Leaves: The leaves are formed in pairs opposite each other
along the square-shaped and from light and dark green to
grey in color. Leaves are between 45-100 mm long and 7-20
Flower: The flowers are 3–5 mm long, purplish, or white,
produced in dense clusters on tall, branched, flowering in mid
to late summer.
• Wild mint is a popular traditional medicine. It is mainly used
for respiratory ailments but many other uses have also been
• It is mostly the leaves that are used, usually to make a tea.
Common name: Prostrate sand mat
Scientific name: Euphorbia prostrata
Euphorbia prostrata is a species known by the common name
prostrate sand mat. it can be found in varied habitat types and in many
areas grows as a roadside weed. This is an annual herb.
Stem: it produce slender prostrate stems up to about 20 centimeters
long, sometimes purple in color.
Leaves: The oval-shaped leaves are up to a centimeter long with finely
Flower: There are four male flowers and a single female flower, the
latter developing into a lobed, hairy fruit one to two millimeters wide.
Euphorbia prostrata extract has been found effective for treatment of
bleeding hemorrhoids due to its contents of flavonoids and phenolic
• Galium verum:
• Common name: Lady's Bedstraw or Yellow Bedstraw
• Scientific name: Galium verum
• It is an herbaceous perennial plant of the family Rubiaceae,
native to Europe and Asia. It is a low scrambling plant.
• Stem: it has stems growing to 60–120 centimeters long,
frequently rooting where they touch the ground.
• Leaves: The leaves are 1–3 cm long and 2 millimeters broad,
shiny dark green, hairy underneath, borne in whorls of 8–12.
• Flowers: The flowers are 2–3 mm in diameter, yellow, and
produced in dense clusters.
• The plant is also used to make red madder-like and yellow
• The flowers were also used to coagulate milk in cheese
• Anagallis arvensis:
• Common name: Scarlet Pimpernel
• Scientific name: Anagallis arvensis
• Anagallis arvensis also known as red pimpernel is a low-growing
• Stem: Scarlet pimpernel has weak sprawling stems growing to
about 50 cm long,
• Leaves: It bear bright green ovate sessile leaves in opposite pairs.
• Flowers: The small orange, red or blue flowers are produced in
the leaf axils from spring to autumn. Pimpernel flowers are open
only when the sun shines.
• The squeezed plant in Nepal is used for bathing and washing.
• Leaves are cooked and used as a spinach. The tender shoots are
cooked as a vegetable.
• Common name: Coriander:
• Scientific name: coriandrum sativum
• Coriander is an annual herb in the family Apiaceae. . It is a
soft plant growing to 50 cm tall.
• Leaves: The leaves are variable in shape, broadly lobed at the
base of the plant, and slender and feathery higher on the
• Flower: The flowers are borne in small umbels, white or very
pale pink, asymmetrical, with the petals pointing away from
the center of the umbel.
• Fruit: The fruit is a globular, dry 3–5 mm in diameter.
• It is a rich source of Iron, Magnesium, and Non organic
• They are used as a flavoring in salads, soups etc.