2M+ users, 3000+ packagesFully programmable statistical languageComplete library of statistical functionsUnparalleled representational graphicsSupplanted and replaced SAS/SPSS in the AcademyPenetrated enterprises where sophisticated statistical modeling is mission-criticalFinance, Pharma, etc.
Type ahead: the IDE recognizes an R function as you type in the first few characters and shows the completed formula and parametersCode snippets: Templates for common R functions e.g. for loop, xy plot. These are written in XML and users can add their ownSolution Window: The RPE organizes R scripts and data files in folders by Solution. This facilitates but does not implement versioningThe lists of packages of installed and the list of loaded packages are available for inspection. Clicking on these packages shows their components in the object windowThe top right Object Browser window shows all of the objects available in the R environmentThe bottom right object window shows the details of particular objectsDebugging Tools: when running in debugging mode the RPE supports breakpoints, stepping in and out of code and shows the contents of variables upon “mouse over”.Users may step through all code available in the Solution that is active.
1. Revolution ConfidentialRevolution R:100% R and MorePresented by:David SmithVP Marketing, Revolution Analytics
2. Revolution ConfidentialPoll QuestionWhich stats package do you usemost?
3. Revolution ConfidentialOctober 19, 2011: Welcome! Thanks for coming. Slides and replay available (soon) at: http://bit.ly/p6ulsuDavid SmithVP Marketing, Revolution AnalyticsEditor, Revolutions bloghttp://blog.revolutionanalytics.comTwitter: @revodavid3
4. Revolution ConfidentialIn today’s webcast: About Revolution Analytics and R What Revolution R adds to R Resources for getting more from R Q&A4Introducing Revolution R
5. Revolution ConfidentialWhat is R? Data analysis software A programming language Development platform designed by and for statisticians An environment Huge library of algorithms for data access, datamanipulation, analysis and graphics An open-source software project Free, open, and active A community Thousands of contributors, 2 million users Resources and help in every domain5Download the White PaperR is Hotbit.ly/r-is-hot
6. Revolution ConfidentialSource: http://r4stats.com/popularity 6R is exploding in popularity andfunctionalityStata 10%S-Plus 0%SPSS -27%SAS -11%R 46%Scholarly ActivityGoogle Scholar hits (’05-’09 CAGR)0500100015002000250020102008200620042002Package GrowthNumber of R packages listed on CRAN“A key benefit of R is that it provides near-instant availability of new andexperimental methods created by its userbase — without waiting for thedevelopment/release cycle of commercialsoftware. SAS recognizes the value of Rto our customer base…”Product Marketing Manager SAS Institute, Inc.“I’ve been astonished by the rate at whichR has been adopted. Four years ago,everyone in my economics department [atthe University of Chicago] was usingStata; now, as far as I can tell, R is thestandard tool, and students learn it first.”Deputy Editor for New Products at Forbes
7. Revolution Confidential“R is the most powerful & flexible statisticalprogramming language in the world”1 Capabilities Sophisticatedstatistical analyses Predictive analytics Data visualization Applications Real-time trading Finance Risk assessment Forecasting Bio-technology Drug development Social networks .. and more1. Norman Nie, multiple interviews 715202530MSFT [2009-01-02/2010-03-31]Last 29.29Volume (millions):63,760,00050100150200250Moving Average Convergence Divergence (12,26,9):MACD: 0.702Signal: 0.712-6-4-20246Jan 02 2009 Apr 01 2009 Jul 01 2009 Oct 01 2009 Jan 04 2010 Mar 31 2010
8. R User CommunityFrom: The R Ecosystembit.ly/R-ecosystem8
9. Revolution ConfidentialPoll QuestionIf youre not using R today, whatwould you most like to use R for?
10. Revolution ConfidentialRevolution R Enterprise is10
11. Revolution ConfidentialR Productivity Environment (Windows)11Script with typeahead and codesnippetsSolutions windowfor organizingcode and dataPackagesinstalled andloadedObjectsloaded in theREnvironmentObjectdetailsSophisticateddebugging withbreakpoints , variablevalues etc.http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/demos/revolution-productivity-environment/demo.htm
12. Revolution ConfidentialInteractive Debugging One-click to set a breakpoint in an R script Step in/out/over, inspect variables Eliminate the edit -> browser -> repair cycle12
14. Revolution ConfidentialThree Paradigms for Big Data Standard R engine is constrained bycapacity and performance Revolution R Enterprise offers threemethods for big data with R: Off-line: high-performance file-based analytics Off-line, parallel & distributed analytics On-line, in-database analytics Hadoop Netezza14
15. Revolution ConfidentialRevolution R Enterprise with RevoScaleRBig Data Statistics in R15www.revolutionanalytics.com/bigdataEvery US airlinedeparture and arrival,1987-2008File: AirlineData87to08.xdfRows: 123.5 millionVariables: 29Size on disk: 13.2GbarrDelayLm2 <- rxLinMod(ArrDelay ~ DayOfWeek:F(CRSDepTime),cube=TRUE)
16. Revolution ConfidentialExample: Old Wives Census Analysis16http://info.revolutionanalytics.com/CensusOldWivesWhitePaper.html
17. Revolution ConfidentialComputeNode(RevoScaleR)ComputeNode(RevoScaleR)MasterNode(RevoScaleR)DataPartitionDataPartitionComputeNode(RevoScaleR)ComputeNode(RevoScaleR)DataPartitionDataPartition• Portions of the data source aremade available to each computenode• RevoScaleR on the master nodeassigns a task to each computenode• Each compute node independentlyprocesses its data, and returns itsintermediate results back to themaster node• master node aggregates all of theintermediate results from eachcompute node and produces thefinal resultRevoScaleR – Distributed Computing17*Available for Microsoft HPC Server, November 2011Video demo: http://bit.ly/riUBgs
18. Revolution ConfidentialRevolution Analytics with Netezza Appliance18More info: http://bit.ly/R-Netezza
19. Revolution ConfidentialRevoConnectR for Hadoop19Revolution RClientRMap orReduceJobTrackerTaskNodeHDFSHBASEThrift rhdfs - R and HDFS rhbase - R and HBASE rmr- R and MapReduceWrite Map-Reduce analytics usingonly R code with these Rpackages:rmrrhdfsrhbaseMore information at:bit.ly/r-hadoop
20. Revolution ConfidentialEnterprise Readiness:Revolution R Enterprise Server Multi-User Support Production Applications Integrate R analytics into Web based applications Data Analysis and Visualization Reporting Dashboards Interactive applications Revolution R Enterprise Server with RevoDeployR20
22. Revolution ConfidentialComing soon: Revolution R GUI22AccessiblePowerfulExtensible
24. Revolution Confidential On-Call Technical Support Consulting Migration | Analytics | Applications | Validation Training R | Revolution R | Statistical Topics Systems Integration BI | ERP | Databases | Cloud24
25. Revolution ConfidentialWrapping Up
26. Revolution ConfidentialWhy R?26 Every data analysis technique at your fingertips Create beautiful and unique data visualizations Get better results faster Draw on the talents of data scientists worldwide R is hot, and growing fast
27. Revolution ConfidentialRevolution R Enterprise27 High-performance R for multiprocessor systems Modern Integrated Development Environment Statistical Analysis of Terabyte-Class Data Sets In-database R analytics with Hadoop and Netezza Deploy R Applications via Web Services Telephone and email technical support Training and consulting services 100% compatible with R packages Easy-to-Use GUI1Production-Grade Statistical Analysis for the Workplace1 Coming Soon
29. Revolution ConfidentialRevolution R Enterprise: Free to Academia Personal use Research Teaching Package development29Free Academic Downloadwww.revolutionanalytics.com/downloads/free-academic.phpDiscounted Technical Support Subscriptions Available
30. Revolution ConfidentialThank You! Download slides, replay (from Oct 20) http://bit.ly/railcj Learn more about Revolution R revolutionanalytics.com/products Contact Revolution Analytics http://bit.ly/hey-revo30Special Offer: Revolution R Enterprise Workstation for $499Including R Productivity Environment (IDE) with visual debugger, multi-processorcapabilities, Big Data analysis with RevoScaleR, and Technical SupportAvailable until November 15 at http://bit.ly/revo-499
31. Revolution ConfidentialPoll QuestionWhat interests you most aboutRevolution R Enterprise?
32. Revolution Confidential32The leading commercial provider of software and support for thepopular open source R statistics language.www.revolutionanalytics.com+1 (650) 646 9545Twitter: @RevolutionR